Habitat for Humanity

Apparently it was a big deal when it happened, but today, when kids are learning about space , some of them have to really do their investigation because a lot of people believe or claim it was faked (the moon landing).

lol

Plus, why should you believe everything you see on tv??

Was reading about Jacques Costeau and how, he once thought people could live underwater. He experimented to find out if they could. They built a little underwater 'village' called Conshelf and it was on the bottom of the Red Sea. They lived there for 30 days.

Was reading about Jacques Costeau and how, he once thought people could live underwater. He experimented to find out if they could. They built a little underwater 'village' called Conshelf and it was on the bottom of the Red Sea. They lived there for 30 days.
We have one of those here in Key Largo. It is operated by Florida International University. It is called Aquarius.

Rtm

Apparently it was a big deal when it happened, but today, when kids are learning about space , some of them have to really do their investigation because a lot of people believe or claim it was faked (the moon landing).

lol

Why should the kids believe everything they see in the movies like Capricorn One?

We have one of those here in Key Largo. It is operated by Florida International University. It is called Aquarius.

Rtm
wow have you visited? Or know anyone who's lived there?
We just have Kelly Tarlton's Underwater world in Auckland. But nobody humans lives there although I think you can stay overnight with the sharks if you book a private party.

wow have you visited? Or know anyone who's lived there?
We just have Kelly Tarlton's Underwater world in Auckland. But nobody humans lives there although I think you can stay overnight with the sharks if you book a private party.
Yes, I have been to the area, but not the actual habitat. I do know (or did) the team from about 6 years ago (they rotate).

Rtm

In the US and prob some other Western economies, here is an approach that might work for some of you. I was in a job for about 2 years, which resulted in enough income, and if you are in the US system you know that most mortgage lenders want to see 2 years tax returns. I went to a broker whose speciality was working out those situations that were close to the established edges. Those edges are usually:
*overall monthly debt is only 45% of monthly income
*non-housing obligations are only 15% of monthly income

In such cases, the US Dept of Agriculture has a Rural Development Program which at that time helped people start in an existing home with zero down. Again, when the monthly figures were all plugged in the housing and the non-housing could not together be more than 45%. My state was in the rural designation. The broker had worked out many of those kinds of loans through one particular RDP rep in our area.

I was able to get in, and the first thing I did was call churches to see if there were any older men who did not need caregiving but did not want to live on their own. This room renter then covered almost half of the new payment.

Our area became a destination for retirement investors over the past generation, so there is otherwise far too much high-end housing.

I hope that helps, and I believe the RDP is still out there. It is worth a move out of urban designated areas.

In the US and prob some other Western economies, here is an approach that might work for some of you. I was in a job for about 2 years, which resulted in enough income, and if you are in the US system you know that most mortgage lenders want to see 2 years tax returns. I went to a broker whose speciality was working out those situations that were close to the established edges. Those edges are usually:
*overall monthly debt is only 45% of monthly income
*non-housing obligations are only 15% of monthly income

In such cases, the US Dept of Agriculture has a Rural Development Program which at that time helped people start in an existing home with zero down. Again, when the monthly figures were all plugged in the housing and the non-housing could not together be more than 45%. My state was in the rural designation. The broker had worked out many of those kinds of loans through one particular RDP rep in our area.

I was able to get in, and the first thing I did was call churches to see if there were any older men who did not need caregiving but did not want to live on their own. This room renter then covered almost half of the new payment.

Our area became a destination for retirement investors over the past generation, so there is otherwise far too much high-end housing.

I hope that helps, and I believe the RDP is still out there. It is worth a move out of urban designated areas.
sounds promising
I live in the city and don't know how people can move to the country unless they live on and work a farm..there aren't any other jobs.

In my dad's day he had a mortgage from a building company not a bank...I can't quite remember what it was called, everyone had them and they were like cooperatives.

I've been to quite a few areas out of the metro areas/markets and the retiring population finds them and builds nice houses that preserve their equity. So there are very often jobs in construction and related. That particular one also had some manufacturing (that didn't want the overhead of costs in Seattle) and also lots of medical jobs.

Maybe everything needs to be age-segregated now. Thanks to the baby-boomers nobody else can ever have a new or first home.
But the homes they are moving out of are not given to new families or offspring to buy..they just rent them out until they fall apart.

Most people I know wait until there is an inheritance before trying a purchase. Then the problem is whether the family has been broken up too much.

Most people I know wait until there is an inheritance before trying a purchase. Then the problem is whether the family has been broken up too much.
yes thats the problem..too many children, it gets split up too much
but if it all just goes to one...the others get envious
Though many families are just having 2 children these days, 3 at a pinch. Not four like mine was. (brothers are twins)

From my understanding inheritance laws vary in different countries. There was never any clear thing in NZ, but in England, they have primogeniture (eldest son always is the heir, others get nothing, daughters meant to marry otherwise they receive nothing). In US, daughters can inherit.

In Maori culture, land is looked after collectively within tribes/families who have chiefs, there was never any single individual ownership.
The British obtained lots of land by trading among other things, guns, tobacco, and nails. Nowadays money talks. But Maori don't want to sell or concede land now they have little left for themselves to live on plus forests and rivers that the Brits exploited and polluted.

Because elders are living longer, they call it 'spending the kids inheritance' when they decide to sell up, and use the money to go on overseas trips, brand new cars and homes for themselves, while supposedly their adult children are struggling with buying their own homes.

yes thats the problem..too many children, it gets split up too much
but if it all just goes to one...the others get envious
Though many families are just having 2 children these days, 3 at a pinch. Not four like mine was. (brothers are twins)

From my understanding inheritance laws vary in different countries. There was never any clear thing in NZ, but in England, they have primogeniture (eldest son always is the heir, others get nothing, daughters meant to marry otherwise they receive nothing). In US, daughters can inherit.

In Maori culture, land is looked after collectively within tribes/families who have chiefs, there was never any single individual ownership.
The British obtained lots of land by trading among other things, guns, tobacco, and nails. Nowadays money talks. But Maori don't want to sell or concede land now they have little left for themselves to live on plus forests and rivers that the Brits exploited and polluted.

Because elders are living longer, they call it 'spending the kids inheritance' when they decide to sell up, and use the money to go on overseas trips, brand new cars and homes for themselves, while supposedly their adult children are struggling with buying their own homes.
Hi Lanolin
I don't know where you get your information from but it is not like that in England at all. People leave wills and say what has to happen with everything they own. My house will be sold and the mint will go to both my children in equal amounts. Any money in my bank will go to them both apart from some that I am leaving to help the homeless. My lawyer will make sure that happens.
You can choose whoever you want to benefit from your death.
One of my friends, who had 5 children, left her house to her youngest child l, one of her daughters. She was the only who did nit have a house.
Some people choose to leave it all to a charity.

It is entirely up to the individual. In the NT Christian's sold their property to help the poor. I think it is very sad when some younger ones can hardly wait for their parents to die so that they can have their
Inheritance.

Hi Lanolin
I don't know where you get your information from but it is not like that in England at all. People leave wills and say what has to happen with everything they own. My house will be sold and the mint will go to both my children in equal amounts. Any money in my bank will go to them both apart from some that I am leaving to help the homeless. My lawyer will make sure that happens.
You can choose whoever you want to benefit from your death.
One of my friends, who had 5 children, left her house to her youngest child l, one of her daughters. She was the only who did nit have a house.
Some people choose to leave it all to a charity.

It is entirely up to the individual. In the NT Christian's sold their property to help the poor. I think it is very sad when some younger ones can hardly wait for their parents to die so that they can have their
Inheritance.
I think it was British Royalty that did that I suppose I'm thinking not just house/property, but who gets to wear the crown. eg be the ruler, landowner etc. Everyone gets titles but only one is like the heir to the throne. It is not equal or shared equally when that happens - and often only sons would get it.

Of course only one family is royal in England but that seemed standard practice amongst aristocrats, who used to be the only ones who actually had any land at all.

I suppose that has now changed and middle-class people now have land but they will sell it for cash. Lots of people don't have homes as they are so expensive..its not like most people have 5 homes and can just sell one off. I think if you withhold your home from your children or kick them out they do get the message they are unwanted. A lot of parents do this, I find it strange, but some children are like Esau and not that bothered about it (until it's too late). But I think they come to terms with it that they need to make their own way.

When you say equally, it was never equal in the Bible. The firstborn always got more. I don't know if parents allow for ages and stages in their children and designate x amount for every year or something when they are dividing up their properties (can't just split up a home). it isn't like many parents have the whole land of Cannaan now to allot to 12 sons. Many parents now just don't have anything to give...because they have spent it all already.

A lot of children actually now say to their parents don't give me anything I want you to enjoy your life. So spend your money on yourself while you are alive not me when you are dead. I'll earn my own living and make my own way. If you expect nothing, then you may be pleasantly surprised if you receive anything.

Last edited:
The newspaper (obsessed with property as probably half its revenue comes from advertising them for sale in a separate supplement) reported that one our our billionaires, has bought up a lot of property, I think it reported 16 different titles in the rich suburbs, mostly older falling apart homes. It was speculated what he was going to do with them (as I don't think he had 16 children) and they were not all adjacent to each other.

I don't know why the paper/journalists just didn't ask the man himself, but obviously they thought it was in the publics interest that one rich man was buying 16 properties when most people couldn't afford to buy even one.

lol

I just feel like if it was faked, the Russians and everyone else who wasn't in league with the USA at the time would have pointed it out.

I just feel like if it was faked, the Russians and everyone else who wasn't in league with the USA at the time would have pointed it out.
I don't know I'm not Russian plus wasn't there at the time they televised a landing on the moon, so I can't verify if it was real or not just based on those reports.

It's like the crop circles that many people thought were actual aliens making them when they were really a hoax of a couple of guys going round with boards making circles at night time in the wheat. haha

Anyway if people have actually landed on the moon it doesn't affect me personally, I'd just say good for them. Not everyone can go.

actually it was 9 properties I don't know why I wrote 16..still that's a lot to buy at once.

I mean I get that people might have played Monopoly for fun but when they do it in real life, it's not fun for everyone else to go bankrupt.

Back