Habitat for Humanity

Currently reading a book 'How to fix Auckland's housing crisis' 4 bold proven solutions by Greg Sayer

Seems like the Auckand Council gets the blame for artificially inflating house prices by their land valuations and restricting boundaries. Having worked under the umbrella of that organisation for many years, I can say hand on heart that they (the council) are a big part of the problem. Also what they have done in the past 10 years is rather criminal. It has made Auckland unaffordable to live, house prices are 9 times peoples incomes.

I'll post a bit more on the solutions offered in this book...I know its probably not relevant for anyone here who doesn't live in Auckland..but I do want to find out why this is so.

When you work with people who are struggling to put food on the table, to buy stationery and uniforms for their children, because most all their income is going on rent, parents who can't be their for their children cos they are working so hard to pay a mortgage, people who are getting sick because of living in substandard and over crowded conditions, young people worried sick about where they are going to live and what jobs they can get.... well its a crisis and a moral issue.

Currently reading a book 'How to fix Auckland's housing crisis' 4 bold proven solutions by Greg Sayer

Seems like the Auckand Council gets the blame for artificially inflating house prices by their land valuations and restricting boundaries. Having worked under the umbrella of that organisation for many years, I can say hand on heart that they (the council) are a big part of the problem. Also what they have done in the past 10 years is rather criminal. It has made Auckland unaffordable to live, house prices are 9 times peoples incomes.

I'll post a bit more on the solutions offered in this book...I know its probably not relevant for anyone here who doesn't live in Auckland..but I do want to find out why this is so.

When you work with people who are struggling to put food on the table, to buy stationery and uniforms for their children, because most all their income is going on rent, parents who can't be their for their children cos they are working so hard to pay a mortgage, people who are getting sick because of living in substandard and over crowded conditions, young people worried sick about where they are going to live and what jobs they can get.... well its a crisis and a moral issue.
The last part is applicable to most of the world.

The median household income in Miami is $39,048. The median price for a house in Miami is $$398,100.

yes sadly its the same here.

I watched a YouTube video yesterday about how you can eat for a £1 for a whole day, eating 3 meals. the vlogger went to the supermarket and spent exactly £1 and bought multiple cheap items and rustled up 3 bulky healthy tasty meals, with left overs. ( he even went to some fast food outlets and happily scavenged some free sauces and coffee coupons from the workers, who were happy to give them to him....,as he had no condiments!). the meals looked incredibly appetising too!😁

Desperate times call for faithful measures.

And I doubt he was really in a that kind desperate situation, but he was willing to show us how, with just a little Faith, and creativity, he rocked poverty and he made my day.

kinda like when you see a crack in the pavement and a little shoot pops through😇

yes sadly its the same here.

I watched a YouTube video yesterday about how you can eat for a £1 for a whole day, eating 3 meals. the vlogger went to the supermarket and spent exactly £1 and bought multiple cheap items and rustled up 3 bulky healthy tasty meals, with left overs. ( he even went to some fast food outlets and happily scavenged some free sauces and coffee coupons from the workers, who were happy to give them to him....,as he had no condiments!). the meals looked incredibly appetising too!😁

Desperate times call for faithful measures.

And I doubt he was really in a that kind desperate situation, but he was willing to show us how, with just a little Faith, and creativity, he rocked poverty and he made my day.

kinda like when you see a crack in the pavement and a little shoot pops through😇
Hm. well, I guess it is doable. I just saw one where this lady eat three meals a day for a week (7 days) for $10.00 (£7.46). She did cheat a little, as she used salt, pepper, cinnamon, and olive oil she already had.

Rtm

yes sadly its the same here. I watched a YouTube video yesterday about how you can eat for a £1 for a whole day, eating 3 meals. the vlogger went to the supermarket and spent exactly £1 and bought multiple cheap items and rustled up 3 bulky healthy tasty meals, with left overs. ( he even went to some fast food outlets and happily scavenged some free sauces and coffee coupons from the workers, who were happy to give them to him....,as he had no condiments!). the meals looked incredibly appetising too!😁 Desperate times call for faithful measures. And I doubt he was really in a that kind desperate situation, but he was willing to show us how, with just a little Faith, and creativity, he rocked poverty and he made my day.

Hello Via;

I like that, desperate times call for faithful measures. Since a pound sterling converted is equal to $1.36 US dollars, I can eat a can of refried beans and tortillas (my personal favorite simple meal) for only .25 cents US or .20 pence UK. That still leaves me a whole pound to splurge.

Notice how George and Elizabeth have their backs to each other? What's with that?
lol!

1645980328471.png 1645979946969.png

Hello Via;

I like that, desperate times call for faithful measures. Since a pound sterling converted is equal to $1.36 US dollars, I can eat a can of refried beans and tortillas (my personal favorite simple meal) for only .25 cents US or .20 pence UK. That still leaves me a whole pound to splurge.

Notice how George and Elizabeth have their backs to each other? What's with that?
lol!

View attachment 6746 View attachment 6744
It does appear that most like their left profile.
us coins.jpg

Last edited:
Hello Via;

lol!

View attachment 6746 View attachment 6744
.25 for a can? How many times are they re-fried?

Rtm

huh well
it seems the Auckland Council are changing their tune because they are going to change their 'unitary plan' to make it possible to build more apartments and townhouses up to six storeys high.

There was a huge ad in the paper about it this morning.

I finished reading the book and it had 4 solutions, but I don't know if extending the RUB (rural urban boundary) would necessarily work because if you do that and build outward into the countryside, then you need more roads, and the 'urban sprawl' will just extend but they also need industrial/commercial areas where people can do business so they don't have to drive miles just to go to work.

Plus Auckland isn't flat like Texas cities like Houston where they can extend forever and the housing cheaper cos they don't have to clear land or encroach into prime growing areas. Auckland is on an isthmus, it's quite hilly in areas, and it can only extend so far. It's bound by water on both sides and rain catchment areas where the forest is protected.

One soluton might be if we DO go to hydro electric vehicles at least emissions will be reduced. But there needs to be a restrictions on the number of vehicles per household.

And a cap on top house prices. An 3 bedroom home should cost around $250,000- $400,000 not $600,000 to $1 milllion. And that's because of land valuation, not even the house thats what you'd pay for BARE land. But land is never BARE in Auckland its always got significance or things going in in the soil - trees, landmarks, burial grounds, rivers etc that you can't just bulldoze away.

One solution that IS worth looking into is having building insurance rather than the council taking all the risk. Because that means with the council taking all the risk so much bureuacracy that takes forever just to build ONE house, when you need at least thousands of them, and building costs will come down if things are built at scale, rather than one here, one there.

Also, families like to live near each other, nobody wants to necessarily live miles away on the other side of town only because it's cheaper.

Hello Lanolin;

What is the concern that you're trying to point out?

The conditions to build homes, or the affordability?

I feel the Auckland Council or whoever studies the economics of the housing situation is aware of simple income median / cost of housing. Auckland is not a rural town but a thriving community. So is Wellington and Christchurch.

These cities afford nice living and opportunities in careers, but it is hard to save when entertainment in these cities attract the locals and visitors from around the world.

When my wife and I first got married and could afford an apartment we rented a one bedroom, maybe a two bedroom but within our financial means. We watched the cost of entertainment but found other ways to enjoy at minimal cost. We saved little by little until we could offer a down payment on our first home.

A down payment is not always 10%, 20% or 25% of the asking price of a dream home. Real estate wants good, responsible buyers to get approved so they work with "creative financing" with their lenders and everyone wins.

The real estate market does keep tabs. They want to encourage home buyers but also need to sell homes to earn a living as well.

The income median / cost of housing is practiced all over and something to keep in mind. The United States has a bigger challenge because our population is 330 million compared to New Zealand's almost 5 million in 2022.

My wife and I went through times of need as well as plenty. It was those times of need that it took perseverance, initiative and diligence, within our faith and means to realize our first home. That is the reality with God.

Hello Lanolin;

What is the concern that you're trying to point out?

The conditions to build homes, or the affordability?

I feel the Auckland Council or whoever studies the economics of the housing situation is aware of simple income median / cost of housing. Auckland is not a rural town but a thriving community. So is Wellington and Christchurch.

These cities afford nice living and opportunities in careers, but it is hard to save when entertainment in these cities attract the locals and visitors from around the world.

When my wife and I first got married and could afford an apartment we rented a one bedroom, maybe a two bedroom but within our financial means. We watched the cost of entertainment but found other ways to enjoy at minimal cost. We saved little by little until we could offer a down payment on our first home.

A down payment is not always 10%, 20% or 25% of the asking price of a dream home. Real estate wants good, responsible buyers to get approved so they work with "creative financing" with their lenders and everyone wins.

The real estate market does keep tabs. They want to encourage home buyers but also need to sell homes to earn a living as well.

The income median / cost of housing is practiced all over and something to keep in mind. The United States has a bigger challenge because our population is 330 million compared to New Zealand's almost 5 million in 2022.

My wife and I went through times of need as well as plenty. It was those times of need that it took perseverance, initiative and diligence, within our faith and means to realize our first home. That is the reality with God.
Affordabilty.

I am not talking about people who can't afford entertainment! I am talking about people who can't even afford FOOD and HEATING and CLOTHES because the cost of renting and mortgages is so high. People cannot even afford to rent apartments.

Perhaps maybe you could live on two minute noodles? And in a high rise? But not children.

The only people buying homes are people who ALREADY have a house, because they sold their old one to pay for another one. This is NOT fair for first home buyers, the people who MOST need a home. Most homes are selling at auction to the the highest bidder, and they are not even giving a desposit, they are buying them with CASH so must be some crazy rich people out there. But they aren't people who need the homes thats for sure.

And there are not many new ones being built that are affordable. Even if you save every penny, it's still not enough. Wages are so low that it would take more than 25 years to buy a house outright on a single income it's not possible, not that people keep their jobs for that long either.

Most people are just staying living with their parents as its cheaper. I'm sure the parents don't mind...rather have a close family and maybe no grandchildren than dropping dead from financial burnout.

Also I was mistaken about buildings being approved to up to six storeys. It's actually buildings being approved for OVER six storeys. So...if you don't mind walking up more than six flights of stairs EVERYDAY or crowding into a lift (that eats up electricity), never able to hang your washing out to dry (because you have to take it to a dryer) not having a backyard or a garden to grow food, wondering what an actual TREE is, having seen only a fake one at christmas time, and living within smoking and spitting distance of your neighbour, then sure, slum life is for you.
An apartment is not a home of your own I'm sorry.

I don't have my own home, in case your wondering. I am well aware my only home is in heaven.

Most people do not dream of owning their own home on earth because it's impossible. If my parents decide to gift me their old home, when they pass I'll look after it, but it's not mine now and won't ever be..and a new home is a pipe dream, because no new homes are being built that anyone can actually afford.

If you want to move to some place where there are no jobs sure you could easily buy a house there but you won't actually have a job either! And the only people that can do that are over 65 who are eligible for the pension. lol

Also, if you decide 'huh I could just build my own home" well think again where on earth will you find the land because it's not yours. There's so many rules that make it so you cannot just build anywhere.

I don't know what the cost of entertainment has to do with housing affordabilty at all sorry. Most people just care about where their next meal is coming from not whether they can be entertained. Most people, want a warm dry home not one thats falling to bits cos the landlord doesn't care about repairs.

ok just to get this straight from the book
I can't say whether I agree with all of these but just putting it out there - to fix Auckand's housing crisis. May not be applicable to your area but you can chime in with your solutions or what has/hasn't worked.
Basically the problem is high demand of houses and low supply of land. What there is for sale is actually unaffordable. Only people who've made all their money overseas can buy pretty much. (cos of exchange rate or they can just sell everything they have). When you actually have got nothing you got nothing to sell (no assets) anyway.

1. Abolish rural urban boundary
2. Deregulate so developers can develop
3. User pays infrastructure funding
4. Revolutionize building insurance

Affordabilty.
I am not talking about people who can't afford entertainment! I am talking about people who can't even afford FOOD and HEATING and CLOTHES because the cost of renting and mortgages is so high. People cannot even afford to rent apartments.
Most people are just staying living with their parents as its cheaper. I'm sure the parents don't mind...rather have a close family and maybe no grandchildren than dropping dead from financial burnout.

An apartment is not a home of your own I'm sorry.
I don't have my own home, in case your wondering. I am well aware my only home is in heaven.
Most people do not dream of owning their own home on earth because it's impossible. If my parents decide to gift me their old home, when they pass I'll look after it, but it's not mine now and won't ever be..and a new home is a pipe dream, because no new homes are being built that anyone can actually afford.

I don't know what the cost of entertainment has to do with housing affordabilty
at all sorry. Most people just care about where their next meal is coming from not whether they can be entertained. Most people, want a warm dry home not one thats falling to bits cos the landlord doesn't care about repairs.

Hello Lanolin;

If we could we would love to trade places with you. I'm grateful to God for our home in California, but that doesn't mean we're not open to relocating and having a fresh start in another state or country. We would love to live on Stewart Island, south of New Zealand.

The thing about entertainment was only a side note. Our conditions were different when I was 28 and she was 27. We were newlyweds and had only one income so while we needed to pay rent, turn on the heater and buy shoes for work, we had to sacrifice entertainment. We couldn't afford to put everything fun on a credit card so we created our own entertainment that was cheap while we saved every nickel for our first home.

Whether living in an apartment or with your family, try looking at it this way. I believe God's hand is in our dwelling place, therefore is our home. It's not forever because one day, as you said, our eternal home is in heaven. Should your Dad and Mum pass the house on to you, I believe God's hand is in it and is entrusting you to be the steward of your home.

Back then during our young adulthood we relished our private space and independence from Dad and Mom. But in these economic times families are living together, like my family, and we have coexisted and helped out wonderfully as a Christian family. Of course those living with us would like to have their own home, maybe one day, but for now we're enjoying the bond.

So the whole thing about affordability is not just in New Zealand or the United States, it was tough all over in the 70s and 80s and it's tough all over today. Nothing has changed, in fact, it's gotten worse.

in the book it was saying an affordable home might be $250,000 to say $400,000 for a 3 bedroom home as a reasonable cost someone can afford (on a double income?)
But in Auckland, you are looking at the same type of home, starting from $600,000 to $1 million or even more, and wages have not risen hardly at all.
Renting is from at least $600 a week for a 3 bedroom home, up to even $700- $800

In other, smaller towns it is not so bad, but then there are not many jobs in the smaller towns.
And not everyone can farm either. Farmers do find it tough as well, but they at least don't have to travel everyday to work on congested roads.

In the 60s there was state houses, solid houses built.Not just knocked up together wooden shacks or tenement buildings. And people could rent to own them. The then govt knew that people needed homes so actually they went and built them! The thing is, when the war was over, sure everyone needed to go to work and earn money again etc. But they first needed a house so that they could rest when they got home at the end of the day! Some workplaces provided accomodation, so you didn't have to worry. But what workplaces today provide that...very few.

I think some people have this idea that workers just mysteriously disappear at the end of the day, turn themselves off, and then turn themselves on when they get to work. lol I think one workplace just said well if you want to work here um there's no accomodation but you could live in your car...!

I have no home. my parents sold our family home over 30 years ago when houses were cheap and plentiful, we got a few thousand each when we all moved out.

in the past I have shared a house with students, and working people. I actually loved it more than living at home. no nagging parents😝
I now live at my place of work. communal living seems to be the way forward. maybe its Gods Way of telling us we need to learn to love each other more. Christianity seems to be receding and so quite a lot of todays people are following any old teaching. what better way to learn to love people than to live with them?

although I dont advocate violence. that would be a case for changing tenants/ accommodation and reporting them to the police. Most of the house shares I have lived in have had some kind of social contracts.

My school isn't a boarding school and I don't live in the library though some children suspect I do lol.
They see the cushions and throws and think I sleep on the sofa when they go home!
haha

Yes sometimes living with parents is a drag but...I found that, if you get to be the only child after all your siblings leave..you get to be the pampered favourite!

domestic violence is another big issue. Thankfully my home is pretty safe though there has been times when family members have lost their tempers. But nothing so bad that you end up hurting or killing each other or need restraining orders. I find that teen/adolescent years are tough because teens are in adult bodies but still think like children. But I think its better that teens and tweens (twenty somethings) stay home and learn to get along with their parents (or know they can always call on them) because when they are out in the world, thats when so many just don't make it - to drugs, suicide, gangs etc. And it's hardest to find a good paying job when you are young. You just don't have the experience.

Why have the weight of the world on your shoulders when you are in your twenties? Some go the prodigal son route and save up and just go off travelling. They are the lucky ones...! At least when you are travelling you can always find a place to stay as you're only there for a couple of days/weeks and then you move on.

Affordabilty.

Perhaps maybe you could live on two minute noodles? And in a high rise? But not children.

The only people buying homes are people who ALREADY have a house, because they sold their old one to pay for another one. This is NOT fair for first home buyers, the people who MOST need a home. Most homes are selling at auction to the the highest bidder, and they are not even giving a desposit, they are buying them with CASH so must be some crazy rich people out there. But they aren't people who need the homes thats for sure.

And there are not many new ones being built that are affordable. Even if you save every penny, it's still not enough. Wages are so low that it would take more than 25 years to buy a house outright on a single income it's not possible, not that people keep their jobs for that long either.
Ok, going to avoid making a comment regarding the "not fair" thing. I guess this is a generational view of life.

I would love to live in Beverly Hills (not really, just using it as an example), but I cannot afford it. Maybe people should consider relocating to a place with affordable housing and/or better wages?

a lot of the young generation I listen to today seem to put off having children because they think the future for them is doomed because of the economic climate. I actually dont know what to think about this because God tells us to multiply and fill the earth. I do notice its the western world of youngsters who share this "anti natalisic' view, which is valid, but when I look at Vietnam or other booming economies I see them multiplying and enjoying life.

Back