Habitat for Humanity

a lot of the young generation I listen to today seem to put off having children because they think the future for them is doomed because of the economic climate. I actually dont know what to think about this because God tells us to multiply and fill the earth. I do notice its the western world of youngsters who share this "anti natalisic' view, which is valid, but when I look at Vietnam or other booming economies I see them multiplying and enjoying life.
Hi Via
I have been told the same thing by young people. Some say because of all the crime that is happening

Hi Via
I have been told the same thing by young people. Some say because of all the crime that is happening
absolutely, that is a major issue today also.

when I went to school, no one brought knives to school. only one boy was on drug and in trouble by the police, and even though violence did happen( mainly boys fighting boys, ) they never took it any further than a punch up.

todays generations have all this to face, as well as job insecurity, climate changes, and debt.

☹️

what can we do?

Hi Via
what do you mean when you look at Vietnam
half the children there were orphaned because of the war!!

Also after war there's always a baby boom because, well, people DIED!

absolutely, that is a major issue today also.

when I went to school, no one brought knives to school. only one boy was on drug and in trouble by the police, and even though violence did happen( mainly boys fighting boys, ) they never took it any further than a punch up.

todays generations have all this to face, as well as job insecurity, climate changes, and debt.

☹️

what can we do?
parents are the ones on drugs these days mostly.
Cocaine and crack/heroin for rich parents
marijuana and meth for poor
alcohol for everyone.

When you grow up around that in your home its not as if it doesn't get brought into school.

Hello Lanolin;

If we could we would love to trade places with you. I'm grateful to God for our home in California, but that doesn't mean we're not open to relocating and having a fresh start in another state or country. We would love to live on Stewart Island, south of New Zealand.

The thing about entertainment was only a side note. Our conditions were different when I was 28 and she was 27. We were newlyweds and had only one income so while we needed to pay rent, turn on the heater and buy shoes for work, we had to sacrifice entertainment. We couldn't afford to put everything fun on a credit card so we created our own entertainment that was cheap while we saved every nickel for our first home.

Whether living in an apartment or with your family, try looking at it this way. I believe God's hand is in our dwelling place, therefore is our home. It's not forever because one day, as you said, our eternal home is in heaven. Should your Dad and Mum pass the house on to you, I believe God's hand is in it and is entrusting you to be the steward of your home.

Back then during our young adulthood we relished our private space and independence from Dad and Mom. But in these economic times families are living together, like my family, and we have coexisted and helped out wonderfully as a Christian family. Of course those living with us would like to have their own home, maybe one day, but for now we're enjoying the bond.

So the whole thing about affordability is not just in New Zealand or the United States, it was tough all over in the 70s and 80s and it's tough all over today. Nothing has changed, in fact, it's gotten worse.
The first "apartment" I lived in was a double-wide trailer I shared with two other guys. My bedroom had enough room for the bed and about a foot in between the bed and the closet "sliding" doors. There wasn't enough space for a nightstand. Those were the good old days.

:)

The first "apartment" I lived in was a double-wide trailer I shared with two other guys. My bedroom had enough room for the bed and about a foot in between the bed and the closet "sliding" doors. There wasn't enough space for a nightstand. Those were the good old days.

:)
when my dad was born, he was placed in the fire grate to keep warm. had to share a bed with all his siblings. they fought over the blankets, but he looked back with fond memories also .

I used to love sharing my room with all my friends off the street. my parents were what the kids of the street called" good parents"

apparently, no other household liked having all the kids in their house for too long , because they didn't want a mess and too much noise.

when my dad was born, he was placed in the fire grate to keep warm. had to share a bed with all his siblings. they fought over the blankets, but he looked back with fond memories also .

I used to love sharing my room with all my friends off the street. my parents were what the kids of the street called" good parents"

apparently, no other household liked having all the kids in their house for too long , because they didn't want a mess and too much noise.
Growing up, we lived in what they call an "efficiency;" kitchen, bathroom, and living room. My parents use to sleep on a sofa-bed and by sister and I would sleep underneath and make believe it was a cave.

I never got why some kids ever wanted to leave home, when home was really the best place!
It annoyed me when parents would talk about kicking their kids out. What are you doing to them?! Where exactly are they going to find a home? They'll just find some gang who wants them instead.

When I did community meals, the homeless people would say they wish they could go home, but their parents wouldn't welcome them :-(

When I did community meals, the homeless people would say they wish they could go home, but their parents wouldn't welcome them :-(
That is the saddest thing, people on the streets because they have no one who wants to take them in.

I'm pretty sure that's something that Christians are implored to do, let me find a scripture.

Matthew 25
41 “Then he will say to those on his left, ‘Depart from me, you who are cursed, into the eternal fire prepared for the devil and his angels. 42 For I was hungry and you gave me nothing to eat, I was thirsty and you gave me nothing to drink, 43 I was a stranger and you did not invite me in, I needed clothes and you did not clothe me, I was sick and in prison and you did not look after me.’

44 “They also will answer, ‘Lord, when did we see you hungry or thirsty or a stranger or needing clothes or sick or in prison, and did not help you?’

45 “He will reply, ‘Truly I tell you, whatever you did not do for one of the least of these, you did not do for me.’

46 “Then they will go away to eternal punishment, but the righteous to eternal life.”

I never got why some kids ever wanted to leave home, when home was really the best place!
It annoyed me when parents would talk about kicking their kids out. What are you doing to them?! Where exactly are they going to find a home? They'll just find some gang who wants them instead.

See, therein lives my issue. ". . . why some kids ever wanted to leave home..." When do you stop being a "kid?" I mean, if the title has no end date, I guess I am a kid too, right?

Assuming one has the room to house other adult "kids," are we talking freedom from financial responsibilities (free room, food, utilities, etc)? How long does this last? I know (well, knew) someone in their mid 40s still living at home with his mom. She still did his laundry...

Just asking....

Rtm

See, therein lives my issue. ". . . why some kids ever wanted to leave home..." When do you stop being a "kid?" I mean, if the title has no end date, I guess I am a kid too, right?

Assuming one has the room to house other adult "kids," are we talking freedom from financial responsibilities (free room, food, utilities, etc)? How long does this last? I know (well, knew) someone in their mid 40s still living at home with his mom. She still did his laundry...

Just asking....

Rtm
if your parents are still alive, you are still their child even if you are over 18. That bond never ceases!
If one or both of your parents die, you are then on your own and need to take on adult responsibilities.
When you turn 13 technically you are an adult (or first start to menstruate for girls) but having babies at that age is not advisable for health reasons.
Boys are still very immature at that age even if they have gone through puberty and could father a child.

If you marry you can leave home but many don't because their homes are big enough to accomodate the younger generation. One side has to leave though depends which in laws would be prepared to accomodate or support grandchildren. They don't have to live with them but they do need to be prepared to look after them as parents can't do it ALL.

Doing laundry is neither here nor there. If you live in shared accomodation, there will only be ONE washing machine! If you are somehow incapable of putting your washing in the machine and hanging it out, folding it and putting it away well. I don't now what to say about that. lol If your mother wants to do it because she's fussy about whites and colours mixing well, let her.

If you want to go to a laundromat because you don't have a washing machine, then its up to you to take your washing there.

In nz if you are under 17 and your parents can't provide you can get can living supplement.
Also you can get a student allowance (it was dependent on parental income) so that you can train and then find a job to support yourself.

Unfortunately with rents so high any job you find will probably not be enough to pay it and let you have decent meal as well! Most people share rent with 2 or more others if they only on a basic wage. That is all you can get starting out anyway unless you have trained for years and can start at a higher rate (or the boss likes you)

No boss is ever going to give you MORE than the minimum wage in NZ when you start. And if you can't find accomodation they'll have you stay in a backpackers or a motel. Also it makes no sense to buy a house if your job isn't secure enough to warrant living there. It could end in 2 years.
Your next job might be miles away or need you to travel all over.

Usually it takes a whole day to do a decent load of washing. Hanging it out also needs a sunny day. I don't think many people realise this or maybe they just have so many clothes they can afford to wear something new everyday, I've even heard of super rich people just wear something once than throw it away and buy new clothes. lol.

Usually it takes a whole day to do a decent load of washing. Hanging it out also needs a sunny day. I don't think many people realise this or maybe they just have so many clothes they can afford to wear something new everyday, I've even heard of super rich people just wear something once than throw it away and buy new clothes. lol.
Ok, let's take a peek into my world. The wife and I have five fully grown adult children with one daughter (oldest) that is not married and has no kids. She can't pay her own phone bills but has a $3,000 dog and a $1,200 cell phone.

About two weeks ago, she had a falling out with a friend and decided she wanted to come home for a while (no date provided), but she even brought her government computer to work from here.

Photo 1: After two weeks, she still has junk in the living room that really needs to go into her bedroom.

Photo 2: because government computers cannot used via WiFi, she needs to hard-wire connect to my router. So, since she does not want to pay for her own service, I have a nice 50-foot cord doing from my router, through my den, and all the way through the hallway. I usually only notice it when I start to trip over it.

Photo 3: She has no issues doing her own launder, but apparently, walking her launder back to her bedroom is too much and leaving it in the dining room appears to work better.

Photo 4: Closing the sliding door to the patio is hard on nails, so I am now responsible for providing South Florida with A/C

So, the water bill has gone up, the electric bill has gone up, we now have another mouth to feed, and she actually took my parking spot in the driveway.

And the creepy part is that she is 33!!! I was going to take a picture of the bedroom, but it would keep me awake for too long.

20220301_143041.jpg 20220301_143107.jpg
20220301_143119.jpg 20220301_143137.jpg

That is the saddest thing, people on the streets because they have no one who wants to take them in.
I'm pretty sure that's something that Christians are implored to do, let me find a scripture.
Ok, let's take a peek into my world. The wife and I have five fully grown adult children with one daughter (oldest) that is not married and has no kids. She can't pay her own phone bills but has a $3,000 dog and a $1,200 cell phone. About two weeks ago, she had a falling out with a friend and decided she wanted to come home for a while (no date provided), but she even brought her government computer to work from here. Photo 1: After two weeks, she still has junk in the living room that really needs to go into her bedroom. Photo 2: because government computers cannot used via WiFi, she needs to hard-wire connect to my router. So, since she does not want to pay for her own service, I have a nice 50-foot cord doing from my router, through my den, and all the way through the hallway. I usually only notice it when I start to trip over it. Photo 3: She has no issues doing her own launder, but apparently, walking her launder back to her bedroom is too much and leaving it in the dining room appears to work better. Photo 4: Closing the sliding door to the patio is hard on nails, so I am now responsible for providing South Florida with A/C So, the water bill has gone up, the electric bill has gone up, we now have another mouth to feed, and she actually took my parking spot in the driveway. And the creepy part is that she is 33!!! I was going to take a picture of the bedroom, but it would keep me awake for too long.

View attachment 6759 View attachment 6760
View attachment 6761 View attachment 6762

My replies are twofold.

Hello Foundsheep, I feel what you're saying. San Francisco has always had huge homelessness. We pray for them and was led to do our part. At different times my wife and I took in a man, a woman, a woman and another man in our home. We fed them, gave them the hide-a-bed to sleep, took a hot shower and provided clothes like socks and a heavy coat.

In the ministry we introduced them to home shelters. It would take time but the end result was they were grateful for the care but didn't make the next step to fall back into society and remain in their current state.

I prayed to the Lord about it every time and also referred to the Matthew 25 verse you shared. The verse did not serve as a "write off" for us, but I believe the Lord uses each of us to do all we can do at that time and moment, keeping in mind God is unlimited and has reinforcements for all who serve Him.

Hey Ray,

I couldn't help but chuckle to your world and welcome to ours. My nieces and their parents lived with us since the girls were 12 and 7, and are now 27 and 22. They bought their own place and the eldest niece who graduated from Berkeley about 4 years ago still lives with them and hasn't been gainfully employed yet. We're encouraged her to take the "stepping stone approach" and work anywhere for now. The youngest niece is graduating from UCLA this June and is very ambitious, but we'll see if she is zealous about getting a job right away. In the meantime they are very close to their parents who pay for practically everything.

What I'm getting at with parents is it's hard to draw the line because your kids are your kids are your kids no matter how grown up they are. Some still need that cushion of comfort from Dad and Mom.

Though their parents (my wife's younger sister and husband) were responsible for their daughters, my role was always the nice uncle and even so, I took care of alot of things for the girls when they were growing up.

Well, my kids were so messy the seagulls made a home in the attic.

And my dog loved all the left over food. she made a really good Hoover. I never needed to use mine.

She even slept on their clothes that they dumped on the floor.

Ahhh the good old days😁

But for me it’s other way around now. My kids want me to move in with them so I can help around the house! And help with the grandchildren.
I do like the idea as I have done it before, but rtm3039 house looks like a hotel compared to the state my kids leave their home in…
Ray you have very tidy children relatively speaking😁

Last edited:
haha

RTM does your daughter's job actually pay much?
Probably not by the sound of it or she could afford to rent her own place! Maybe her friend didn't like living with her either. Oh dear. Also, sounds like her bedroom is too small otherwise all her 'junk' and her laundry could go in there.
And A/C is a pain because you can't open windows and doors to go out for a second without immediately shutting it.

I wouldn't be so mean to suggest she sell her dog to pay for her phone bill. Or maybe just get her to use her work phone and her work pays for it, but get one of those plans, so she can contribute to her OWN phone instead of using your number. (but still be in your household)

Well..Bible says train a child up in the way that they should go and they won't depart from it. Did you train her up? Or, like most parents, didn't really do any training and sent them off elsewhere to be trained. I mean I am not doing any job my parents did and they aren't training me to do their jobs. I did work with my mum once as a summer job but I didn't want to stay and work at her workplace!

Embarassing. Well some mothers and daughters do work together but in separate departments, and I knew some husband and wife teams.

But if you live with people you got to expect them to be able to live with you and sometimes it can be messy -fact of life. Nothing to get ANGERS about. You had children, so...what, disown them and have them live on the street with $3000 dog? When they can't afford rent hmm.
They not invisible you know.

If its only temporary she'll find somewhere else if she knows you don't really want her there. But she'll probably cry cos it hurts when parents don't want you even if you are 33 years old.

I remember my mum crying when I said well I don't need to live with you anymore, I'll pay rent to go live with strangers. She begged me to stay. But, when the tables turned and I was back home mum got angry at me for, well being HUMAN, and complained about me living with her I cried. I said well I'll go live with strangers who like me better if that's really how you feel. It was like really is it that BAD?

Last edited:
Well, my kids were so messy the seagulls made a home in the attic.

And my dog loved all the left over food. she made a really good Hoover. I never needed to use mine.

She even slept on their clothes that they dumped on the floor.

Ahhh the good old days😁

But for me it’s other way around now. My kids want me to move in with them so I can help around the house! And help with the grandchildren.
I do like the idea as I have done it before, but rtm3039 house looks like a hotel compared to the state my kids leave their home in…
Ray you have very tidy children relatively speaking😁
thats the problem with clothes, you have to keep changing them and wearing them and folding them and putting them away and washing them and drying them and wearing them and folding them and putting them away and wearing them and washing them and drying them and folding them and putting them away and wearing them and....

thats the problem with clothes, you have to keep changing them and wearing them and folding them and putting them away and washing them and drying them and wearing them and folding them and putting them away and wearing them and washing them and drying them and folding them and putting them away and wearing them and....
Well Adam and Eve certainly had one thing going in their favour.

But it’s too cold for fig leaves even in summer here🙈

Back