Habitat for Humanity

Jesus chose a donkey as transport into Jerusalem, instead of a horse
Maybe the donkey looked good, I dunno.

Although he wasn't actually BUYING one, he just borrowed it.

Really...you don't know many people then!
Some people just need something that goes.

If you are a collector yes, but most people use their cars for transport, not for show.
Yes, while I do agree that people need something that "goes," the people I know tend to buy the cars they want not the cars they can get. I know that this sounds a little arrogant, but I am just being honest.

Almost everyone we know has had their own home, at least one car, and are nearing the age of retirement. It does not make any of us any more special, we just spend most of our adult lives preparing for this.

Rtm

I wouldn't classify Jeeps as SUVs I think the SUVs actually copied the Jeeps. At least you have the original.
I was thinking Hummers, RAV 4 WDs, Landcruisers, etc.

On the farm I visited they had...something called Cat four wheel drives, because they had to go up hills etc. They were made in the US. I don't think they used Jeeps because they would have been way too big. The Cats were small and you could just hop in them, they didn't have doors.
Sort of like quadbikes but bigger. Quadbikes are ok on flat but on slopes you have to be really careful as they can tip.

Yes, while I do agree that people need something that "goes," the people I know tend to buy the cars they want not the cars they can get. I know that this sounds a little arrogant, but I am just being honest.

Almost everyone we know has had their own home, at least one car, and are nearing the age of retirement. It does not make any of us any more special, we just spend most of our adult lives preparing for this.

Rtm
it is because you are different generation and relatively priveliged. I don't think there's anything wrong with that its just you need to realise that a lot of people in the world are not like you.

it is because you are different generation and relatively priveliged. I don't think there's anything wrong with that its just you need to realise that a lot of people in the world are not like you.
My mom used to make my cloths. I started my adult life as a private in the US Army making around $86.00 a week. I did not have a bedroom, until I was an adult and could afford my own apartment (trailer in my case). My first car cost me around $300.00 and it took me 6 months to pay it off. It took me over 10 years to finish my bachelor's degree, because it was done through multiple deployments. So, in other words, I struggled for everything I got, until it was no longer a struggle; not privileged, just hard working.

Yes but you now are no longer struggling thats the thing. There are young people who are struggling still. Just saying. They are not always thinking about what car looks good. They just need a car to get around. And cars are much more expensive, they are a HUNDRED times as expensive as your first car was.
It might take less time to do a bachelors degree, but it still takes about 10 years to pay off.

Not everyone is your age and can NOW just buy what they want.

If you mix with younger people and listen to what they go through, you would not assume everyone is like you - young peoples struggles are not over hmm I wonder what car looks good?
Most young people drive second hand cars or imports or an old bomb they are fixing up. Not always safe, but it goes. lol

They'll buy a new car only if the old one isn't going to go anymore. Also there are many people I know that don't drive at all.

I know one retired couple that give everything that is worn out and old to their offspring. They'll get a new car, they'll give their old car that is going to break to their son. They'll buy a new house, or another house (maybe an extra holiday home or an RV just because) but their children live in an old rotting fixer-upper.
They have a small RV and they just sell it to get an even bigger one for themselves.

I know many retirees who downsize and give all their stuff away, but the stuff they pass on mostly cannot be used anymore. So we inherit old LPs that we cannot play, or worn out pots and pans, old clothes, appliances that don't work etc. They then buy brand new apartments and often sell off the family home so their offspring don't even have a place to live. I know one couple that sold their family home without telling their son, who was overseas, so when he came back his home wasn't there anymore! I think he was a bit mad. lol

I think if they had told him he could have handled it but they didn't.
He didn't quite forgive them (remember, a home belongs to childrens too, not just the parents...full of memories as well) and later his mother said she started to understand why he was so upset. His mum and dad now live in a 2 bedroom townhouse in the suburbs.

But don't worry about their son he's just flatting somewhere and paying rent to a stranger. My sisters been flatting and must have moved about ten times. After you do it so much you just get used to it.

Another retired couple sold up and their son, who was living with them, had to go live with a younger couple who he gardened for but had a huge property, because they had this online real estate listing business that made them a heap of money. So one time he invited us over for a bbq at their place as he was looking after the house while they went on holiday. It had like a six car garage or something, its own pool, forest, walk in pantry etc. And so much lawn to mow.
He was going to live in the run down cottage at the end of the property and be their gardener. A perfectly good home but they ditched it to live in the 6 bedroom new one that is a beast to vaccuum.

I think his parents are going to move into a retirement village as they no longer want to maintain their property. Anyway, you think you might have a choice about where you live in life but often you just don't. You can be kicked off the land at any time and are at the mercy of the owners, who often is just ONE person who can decide the life of everyone else.

If you mix with younger people and listen to what they go through, you would not assume everyone is like you - young peoples struggles are not over hmm I wonder what car looks good?
Most young people drive second hand cars or imports or an old bomb they are fixing up. Not always safe, but it goes. lol

They'll buy a new car only if the old one isn't going to go anymore. Also there are many people I know that don't drive at all.

I know one retired couple that give everything that is worn out and old to their offspring. They'll get a new car, they'll give their old car that is going to break to their son. They'll buy a new house, or another house (maybe an extra holiday home or an RV just because) but their children live in an old rotting fixer-upper.
They have a small RV and they just sell it to get an even bigger one for themselves.

I know many retirees who downsize and give all their stuff away, but the stuff they pass on mostly cannot be used anymore. So we inherit old LPs that we cannot play, or worn out pots and pans, old clothes, appliances that don't work etc. They then buy brand new apartments and often sell off the family home so their offspring don't even have a place to live. I know one couple that sold their family home without telling their son, who was overseas, so when he came back his home wasn't there anymore! I think he was a bit mad. lol
Ok, I find your comments fascinating: "I know one couple that sold their family home without telling their son, who was overseas, so when he came back his home wasn't there anymore!" It appears to me that it was actually never the son's home, he was just living there rent free."

When we decide to have a family, part of that decision is taking care of our children. At some point, the children become adults and it is their responsibility to take care of themselves (for the most part).

The wife and I were in our lats 40s, when our "kids" became adults. The idea that we would need to consult with them on what the wife and I wanted to do never crossed our minds.

We stayed in Virginia one year longer than we wanted to, so that our oldest daughter could graduate high school with her friends. After that, she pretty much told us she did not want to move out of Virginia. By then she was an adult, so she had the option of (1) staying there on her own or (2) moving to Miami. Want to guess her decision :)

When we pass on, we pass on our "stuff" to family. Until then, it is our stuff to do with as we wish.

I wouldn't classify Jeeps as SUVs I think the SUVs actually copied the Jeeps. At least you have the original.
I was thinking Hummers, RAV 4 WDs, Landcruisers, etc.

On the farm I visited they had...something called Cat four wheel drives, because they had to go up hills etc. They were made in the US. I don't think they used Jeeps because they would have been way too big. The Cats were small and you could just hop in them, they didn't have doors.
Sort of like quadbikes but bigger. Quadbikes are ok on flat but on slopes you have to be really careful as they can tip.
Many people are not sure if a "Jeep" is a SUV. Jeep has become a generic word. In my case, I have a Wrangler Willys. Most are 4 WD.

I look at the words: Sports Utility Vehicle. The "sports" is basically a unique look. The "vehicle" is understood. The key appears to be "utility" aka: multi-functional. My wife's "Jeep" is a 4 door, also 4 WD. It has the same basic inner configuration of any SUV, so I would place her vehicle in the SUV category. It can carry the dog, the kids, and the grocery bags.

Fo the record, I have a 2 door, so I can't be expected to carry the kids or the groceries. I'm cool with the dog.

SUVs are neither here nor there.
The topic is affordable housing. I'm not sharing the website because I am part of this ministry, but this is the work they do to help people afford their own homes. It's not about buying a car that looks good.

We have a reStore in my home town, and I often go there to buy second hand books. I actually go to all the op shops, but often this one has good ones.

Books are expensive new, but I will send a lot over to Tonga when we can ship there as they find it hard to get books. They have their own village libraries. I can't imagine how the volcano has devastated them..but Pacific Island nations often cope with cyclones etc. Apparently, the fales hold up better than the western built homes!

Ok, I find your comments fascinating: "I know one couple that sold their family home without telling their son, who was overseas, so when he came back his home wasn't there anymore!" It appears to me that it was actually never the son's home, he was just living there rent free."

When we decide to have a family, part of that decision is taking care of our children. At some point, the children become adults and it is their responsibility to take care of themselves (for the most part).

The wife and I were in our lats 40s, when our "kids" became adults. The idea that we would need to consult with them on what the wife and I wanted to do never crossed our minds.

We stayed in Virginia one year longer than we wanted to, so that our oldest daughter could graduate high school with her friends. After that, she pretty much told us she did not want to move out of Virginia. By then she was an adult, so she had the option of (1) staying there on her own or (2) moving to Miami. Want to guess her decision :)

When we pass on, we pass on our "stuff" to family. Until then, it is our stuff to do with as we wish.
you are wrong sorry about your notion of home.
Living somewhere rent free...Look in your Bible. Does the our Heavenly Father make his Son pay rent? NOPE. If the Father did that, the son would no longer be his. He would have disowned him, and he'd just be treated as a tenant and guest.

Proverbs 13:22

I'm sorry if this blows your mind RTM, but being a parent actually means providing a home. It doesn't mean your children are just people who live rent free with you that you can kick out anytime. It doesn't mean your children don't think of the place they live in as home. They do.

Unless being a parent just means you payrent to them. That must make our landlords the parents then.

Your daughter might have left (for a while) But if she came back, then she must still think of you as a parent or at least her mother.
Have you not read the parable of the prodigal son. Or do you not know how families work in regards to property and inheritance. Land isn't just 'stuff'
The Israelites understood what it truly meant to have a home when they were exiled from the land God gave them.

Last edited:
you are wrong sorry about your notion of home.
Living somewhere rent free...Look in your Bible. Does the our Heavenly Father make his Son pay rent? NOPE. If the Father did that, the son would no longer be his. He would have disowned him, and he'd just be treated as a tenant and guest.

Matthew 8:19-20 (NIV)
19 Then a teacher of the law came to him and said, “Teacher, I will follow you wherever you go.”

20 Jesus replied, “Foxes have dens and birds have nests, but the Son of Man has no place to lay his head.”

Back