How much wine is not to much?

I would check with your sources again:

New Zealand wins the prize for best neighbor ever.

The island nation is giving a helping hand across the South Pacific, buying COVID vaccines for six neighbors: Tokelau, Niue, the Cook Islands, Tonga, Samoa and Tuvalu.

New Zealand has a population of 5 million but has ordered roughly 18 million doses — 7.6 million from AstraZeneca and 10.72 million from Novovax, MyModernMet reported. Under the double-dose system, the order will cover more than 10 million people.

source: New Zealand buys enough COVID vaccine for its neighbors (nypost.com)
ha you know more than me.
I just meant nobody here has got the jab yet. Nz's govt (the ministry of health) might have bought them but they aren't available to everyone yet, and no official announcements have been made about how it's going to be administered.

Yes, it is a massive rollout for what could be well over 200 million people in the US alone. There is no way for this to go smoothly.

At some point, I suspect there will be multiple versions of the vaccine, depending on how many companies receive FDA approval. Once these vaccines are shipped to companies like CVS and Walgreens, it will move faster. However, those that require two shots will also see some complications with people that take the first but not the second.

Add to this the fact that it appears this will need to be a yearly vaccine event and it just gets more complicated. To some, the argument is going to be that the odds of dying is less than 2% (1.75% as of yesterday) and I am not all that sure the target of >75% is going to be reached. For the moment, it appears that C19 has moved into third place as the greatest cause of death (right after heart decease and cancer), so this is something to take serious (ever with a mortality rate of 1.75%).

I suspect that you are right, in that "regular" folks have months to wait. I figure this summer (don't through your mark away any time room). A couple of months later, assuming no significant mutation, they will start talking about round two for the vaccine.

Aside from the medical issue, there is also the economic issue. How long can businesses keep performing at >50%? Is anyone ever going to go back to the movie theaters? How much money can Uncle Sugar keep printing? The wife and I actually got a "stimulus" check last month (a Donald Trump autographed $600.00 check). This is sad on two fronts: First, it came in November! If I really needed it, it would be too little too late. Second, we don't need it, but have no way of giving it back. Trough the grace of God, neither the wife nor I have been impacted economically. We both have our jobs and are more than able to meet our obligations. We are actually better off financially today than we were one year ago today. This $600.00 could have been better used by someone else, but now I own it and, I suspect, will be paying it back soon enough.

Wow, this turned out way longer than I thought. Guess I have issues and needed to went.

Sorry

rtm3039

It's an important topic at this time. Thankfully God is overall in charge. Man only thinks he is in charge. God's will, will be done in spite of men.

Well, I know everyone is stressed and concerned about business (particularly if you own one) but, the thing is, having a business really is just EXTRA to be being alive. When God took the Israelites through the wilderness after all the plagues of Egypt, they were not running businesses or buying or selling then. He provided for them.

And think about it, ok people might not go to the movies anymore, but, are movies super important to the economy? In my world they aren't. They are extras and luxuries for most people. I remember how expensive they were to even go out for a night. You were deemed a criminal if you took your own food in because you can't afford the high charges of the refreshments. And after maybe 2 hours of sitting in a darkened room, if the movie wasn't very good (and often containing violence and sex scenes) you were much poorer!

Well, I know everyone is stressed and concerned about business (particularly if you own one) but, the thing is, having a business really is just EXTRA to be being alive. When God took the Israelites through the wilderness after all the plagues of Egypt, they were not running businesses or buying or selling then. He provided for them.

And think about it, ok people might not go to the movies anymore, but, are movies super important to the economy? In my world they aren't. They are extras and luxuries for most people. I remember how expensive they were to even go out for a night. You were deemed a criminal if you took your own food in because you can't afford the high charges of the refreshments. And after maybe 2 hours of sitting in a darkened room, if the movie wasn't very good (and often containing violence and sex scenes) you were much poorer!

I understand what you are saying. I'm glad that it is not my decision to make because I believe balance is necessary.

Ok, I guess there are several ways to look at this. As an employee, the movie theater industry employs around 93,000 people. That really is not all that many. As an entertainment industry, it generates $35.3 billion dollars a year (2019 figures). That’s significant.

Movie theaters were seeing a decline, pre-Covid 19, do to a variety of factors that include steaming services and on-demand. I do agree with you that going to the movies has become a luxury thing. We (me and the wife) do not go often usually only if there is a movie that is best experienced in front of a really big screen. I think the last time we did this was for the opening of Avatar (2009) 3D. Tickets can be as high as $22.00; a Coke is around $6.00 and my number one movie requirement (Milk duds) are $5.00.

I once had to interview a movie theater manager and learned quite a bit. They make no money out of ticket sales, as every penny goes make to the film makers. Where they make their money is in food sales. As an example, they do not pay for soft drinks, as the money is in the marketing of the cup. A $6.00 large bag of popcorn cost them less than .05 (that includes the corn, the popping, and the bag). My $5.00 Milk Duds is around .75 at the most.

The problem as that we (US) enjoy a very long history of going to the movies. It would be hard to find very many people in this country (probably in the whole “civilized” world) that does not recall being a teenager and getting to spend Friday nights at the movies. This could be lost.

As for small businesses, well, that’s the backbone of our economy. According to the SBA (Small Business Administration), the US has over 30.2 small businesses (99.9% of all US businesses). They employ 58.9 million people and make up 47.5% of the US’ total employment workforce. Those numbers are hard to overcome.

We are seeing a transformation that, while impacted by Covid-19, was coming anyway. Technology will eventually replace many things. Ok, you cannot get a haircut on-line and you cannot build a building though automation (not yet), but it is coming.

Yesterday I wanted a sandwich for lunch. I could have made one at home, but I wanted a specific sandwich. So, I ordered it online and had it dropped off at my front door. For the sake of convenience, I decided to pay significantly more (sandwich - $11.59; tip $2.16; delivery $2.00, tax $0.81; total $16.56), but I got what I wanted and never had to leave the house. I consumed my “news” online and watched two movies (Netflix). So, so much for the restaurant, the newspaper and movie theater).

Today I am cutting the grass and that is still on me 😊

rtm3039

Oh rich world problems.
In my world we never got to the movies every Friday night. Far too expensive and difficult to get to.
It was all on tv and later, video.

Sorry I'm not more sympathetic to your problems.
I'm not going to link the high suicide rate here to lack of movies as a teenager though.

Sorry I'm not more sympathetic to your problems.
I'm not going to link the high suicide rate here to lack of movies as a teenager though.
It's ok, we are good. We will overcome this and go back to the movie theater, pizza joints, and really large shopping malls full of stuff no one needs, but many want. Overcoming obstacles - it's what we do.

Maybe not related to the OP, but, Just an observation here in the U.K:

our governments are allowing supermarkets / stores to sell the stuff by the bucketfuls in this pandemic but won’t allow them to sell you a slow cooker or baby clothes😞
Maybe they should limit the stuff along with the loo rolls🙏

Covid-19 has affected the whole world. We may live in different countries with different kinds of trials and tests, but in the end suffering is still suffering. A place like this gives us a chance to understand differences and to put things in better perspective.

It's easy to get near sighted with what we see and hear at home. The problem is it makes it difficult to see the bigger picture.

Any addiction or trouble is a hardship for those going through it.

Thankfully we have the help of God in these times and at all other times as well. Our example as Christians shines brighter in times like these.

yes it gives someone who maybe has spare baby clothes or a cooker the opportunity to gift you - which you don't need to pay for.

And even movies, many one can find screening free online. I downloaded a few Roald Dahl movies and showed them to my library children. They didn't have to pay for popcorn either.

Personally I'm not a big fan of malls, even though now I work in one. Mall owners are greedy sods (excuse my language) who don't particularly care about their tenants that much. Especially if they live overseas and rake the profits off the locals. If you own a business in a mall, be prepared to be hamstrung by mall policies. I only go to a handful of shops at the mall myself when out shopping, If you have one huge warehouse that sells practically everything, and a supermarket, you only need to go to two shops for essentials lol. Not 100 shops all under one roof (eek)

I did not miss going out shopping that much. We might have to wait a bit longer now for imported goods, (as ships are stuck in port quarantine) but that is why its good to buy local. It gives us all the opportunity to care for our neighbour and practice patience.

yes it gives someone who maybe has spare baby clothes or a cooker the opportunity to gift you - which you don't need to pay for.

And even movies, many one can find screening free online. I downloaded a few Roald Dahl movies and showed them to my library children. They didn't have to pay for popcorn either.

Personally I'm not a big fan of malls, even though now I work in one. Mall owners are greedy sods (excuse my language) who don't particularly care about their tenants that much. Especially if they live overseas and rake the profits off the locals. If you own a business in a mall, be prepared to be hamstrung by mall policies. I only go to a handful of shops at the mall myself when out shopping, If you have one huge warehouse that sells practically everything, and a supermarket, you only need to go to two shops for essentials lol. Not 100 shops all under one roof (eek)

I did not miss going out shopping that much. We might have to wait a bit longer now for imported goods, (as ships are stuck in port quarantine) but that is why its good to buy local. It gives us all the opportunity to care for our neighbour and practice patience.

Do you really believe that this is the way all live here in the U.S. ? Personally I rarely go to a mall or to a movie theater. Do I begrudge those that earn a living working there though? I do not. They need to make a living as well. Do we as Americans generally speaking live in excess, I would say that is generally true. This only makes it harder for us as Christians when we do fall. God has a way of humbling all of us.

God tells us if we have more that more is required of us. If we have less God doesn't value us any less because he is not a respecter of persons.

Each of us have different challenges, but we still have the same God. God knows our needs and is there for all of us the same regardless of where we live, our status here on earth or any other respect.

If we walk in faith and love we can be sure to please God. God is our help, our shield, our rock, and the very source of any good.

I went to mall two days ago; the first time in at leas 5 - 6 years. Didn't really have a choice, as I needed a Christmas present and it was too late to order it on line. South Florida has the 5th largest indoor mall in the Country. Been there a couple of times, but I too am not a big fan of malls (way too many people).

The largest mall in north America is The American Dream complex in East Rutherford, New Jersey. The 3 million-square-foot (278,709.12 square meters) center features a theme park, ice rink, water park, and indoor ski center in addition to over 450 shops. That's a lot of space.

At present, a new American Dream complex is being build here in Miami, FL. No end date for completion, but it will be 6 million-square feet:

New mall.JPG

woah
no, its only in certain areas in the states but the concept of malls came from there. I don't believe that in general americans always go to malls and movies, but rtm was saying that was a regular thing for teens to go to a Friday night movie.

In NZ, the foreign owned malls are mostly full of chain stores from Australia. They don't contribute to the local economy, but seem to suck it dry. There is a lot of waste with markets. All our manufacturing and distribution has moved over there (for books) so its more expensive to buy a local book than an Australian distributed book. Which is a bit crazy. Then we get a lot of extra goods from Australia, and because they are bigger, locally produced ones struggle. Yet people don't really want to buy Australian books here, we want our own.

In libraries suppliers would offer all the Australian books, and TV would show Australian programmes, which are not really relevant to us. Yes they need to make a living, but not by exploiting people and markets. They have plenty of their OWN people to be their customers.

Some of those mall owners will own more than one mall. Most of them are super billionaires. They do not need to even work to make a living, what they do is gamble on property. Movie moguls will gamble on movies. They will finance several movies at once, not because they particularly believe in a story like an independent film maker would. But because they think it will sell xxx amount of tickets. It's purely a numbers game to them.

woah
no, its only in certain areas in the states but the concept of malls came from there. I don't believe that in general americans always go to malls and movies, but rtm was saying that was a regular thing for teens to go to a Friday night movie.

In NZ, the foreign owned malls are mostly full of chain stores from Australia. They don't contribute to the local economy, but seem to suck it dry. There is a lot of waste with markets. All our manufacturing and distribution has moved over there (for books) so its more expensive to buy a local book than an Australian distributed book. Which is a bit crazy. Then we get a lot of extra goods from Australia, and because they are bigger, locally produced ones struggle. Yet people don't really want to buy Australian books here, we want our own.

In libraries suppliers would offer all the Australian books, and TV would show Australian programmes, which are not really relevant to us. Yes they need to make a living, but not by exploiting people and markets. They have plenty of their OWN people to be their customers.

Some of those mall owners will own more than one mall. Most of them are super billionaires. They do not need to even work to make a living, what they do is gamble on property. Movie moguls will gamble on movies. They will finance several movies at once, not because they particularly believe in a story like an independent film maker would. But because they think it will sell xxx amount of tickets. It's purely a numbers game to them.

Greed can be an obsession and an addiction. You are quite right that often the few own so much and take advantage of those that can least afford it. Here in America we are use to this. Most businesses chose to outsource their manufacturing and many other services as well because it was cheaper. This has left certain parts of our country that depended on these jobs more vulnerable. We also were more vulnerable during this Covid-19 crisis because we outsourced so much of our manufacturing.

The wealthy often make decisions based on money rather than social benefit.

The world is full of greed, gluttony, alcoholics, and others addicted to pleasing themselves. Big business has been known to use hostile means to takeover businesses they want to acquire.

As Christians led by the Spirit we learn moderation in all things. This site makes it possible for Christians in all parts of the world to come to understand better what it means to be Christian in other countries.

In Europe buying local groceries is quite common place. In the United States it is not common place, but rather a trendy thing to do.

The OP is "how much wine is not too much?" Both my wife and I drink wine but she can tolerate more than me, so the answer to your question is that if the wine (or any drug) affects your ability to think clearly and/or perform routine tasks easily, then you've had too much.

woah

I guess I really can't speak on behalf of the entire country, but ... I use to travel a great deal for work and this was usually two weeks at a time. On Fridays, I usually went to dinner and then to the movies. To the best of my recollection, regardless of where I found myself, I always ran into the local school kids getting into the movies. I mean, I did it, my kids did it, and I suspect that my grandkids will eventually do it too (if there are still movie theaters when they are teenagers).

As for malls, I am sure that not every town is big enough to have their own malls. I have no idea what those small town folks so. As for me, like I said, my issue is not so much with the malls, but with the million people that go there. I am a "hit and run" shopper. When I can't get it on-line (about 99.5% of what I guy I get on-line), I make it a point to go to the mall, head straight to what I want, buy it, an walk right back out.

rtm

The OP is "how much wine is not too much?" Both my wife and I drink wine but she can tolerate more than me, so the answer to your question is that if the wine (or any drug) affects your ability to think clearly and/or perform routine tasks easily, then you've had too much.

Since we cannot really know how wine is affecting us at the moment it is best to set an artificial limit like one drink or no drinking if one is going to drive. For some one drink is to many because they are already alcoholic or have a family history that makes them more prone to alcoholism.

Those with a problem drinking rarely listen to others and often convince themselves they have a very high tolerance. It is not uncommon for problem drinkers to hide how much they are drinking as well.

mm we didn't have a movies to go to it was way across town, you needed a car to get there as public transport won't take you there on time or run at night when the movie finishes.

But now there are movies in local malls nobody hardly goes to them because they were so expensive, when you can get movies on tv for free. If you do go you would go on the cheapest night, usually a Tuesday. Actually the owners told me they had to reduce prices in my area as nobody could afford the tickets.

Maybe you just know richer people rtm. There's no way teenagers can afford to go out every Friday, or if they do, most wouldn't be seeing a movie, they'd be spending their hard earned money on other things (saving it if they are wise, or more likely, spending it on alcohol).

It wasn't until after I was in my twenties that the local govt thought to put anything in our town to entertain teenagers. There was literally nothing to do, or anywhere safe to hang out. Most teens got into trouble trying to drive beat up old cars (unsafe, but didn't matter if they go dented) and trying to be cool by drinking (underage) at pub. We never thought of going to the movies!

Why pay to see something that was free on tv?

mm we didn't have a movies to go to it was way across town, you needed a car to get there as public transport won't take you there on time or run at night when the movie finishes.

But now there are movies in local malls nobody hardly goes to them because they were so expensive, when you can get movies on tv for free. If you do go you would go on the cheapest night, usually a Tuesday. Actually the owners told me they had to reduce prices in my area as nobody could afford the tickets.

Maybe you just know richer people rtm. There's no way teenagers can afford to go out every Friday, or if they do, most wouldn't be seeing a movie, they'd be spending their hard earned money on other things (saving it if they are wise, or more likely, spending it on alcohol).

It wasn't until after I was in my twenties that the local govt thought to put anything in our town to entertain teenagers. There was literally nothing to do, or anywhere safe to hang out. Most teens got into trouble trying to drive beat up old cars (unsafe, but didn't matter if they go dented) and trying to be cool by drinking (underage) at pub. We never thought of going to the movies!

Why pay to see something that was free on tv?
Ok, it is obviously a culture thing. First of all, they do not spend their money, they spend their parent's money. Second, it really is not about the movie, but about hanging out.

Ok, it is hard to find current statistics on this, but I did find some from 2017 and 2018. (Who Goes to the Movies? (movieguide.org))

Of the 264.7 million who went to movies at least once in 2017, 34.41 million were age 2-11 and 26.47 million were age 12-17, while 29.12 million were age 18-24, 63.53 million were age 25-39, 34.41 million were age 40-49, 31.76 were age 50-59, and 45 million were age 60 or over.

Thus, about 60.88 million children and teenagers age 2-17 in the USA and Canada went to the movies at least once, which is slightly less than those aged 25-39.

Of this group, 14% go to the movies at least once a month. And yes, a great deal is social/economic and I do live in an upper middle class neighborhood where almost every teenager walks round with a cell phone.

I tried to do a Google search on how many theaters are located in my town, but I stopped counting at 21.

movies.JPG

Back