How much wine is not to much?

The Bible does not condemn drinking alcohol altogether, although it does condemn drinking any amount of alcohol that will cause drunkenness. Therefore, according the Bible, it is acceptable to drink wine, beer, liquor, or other alcoholic beverages, as long as they are in amounts small enough so that you don’t get drunk.
Very true.

My town used to be former wine country.
The main drag was all vineyards and orchards. Now it's all been redeveloped into fast food places.

Too much fast food now I reckon.

Vineyards are picturesque until you get up close to them. If the vintner is not organic, then they'll use a heap of sprays to keep bugs and blight in check. It's easy enough to grow a grapevine but operating a winery is major undertaking.
So much sprays/pesticides/herbicides are used that the wine you could be drinking has all that chemical residue in it I wouldn't be drinking it!

In the United States especially one can say the same thing about all processed food including staples such as milk and eggs.

Most are probably not aware of the fact that the cleaning process of eggs in the USA actually results in possible contamination. The eggshell naturally has a film of protection that protects it in the womb and out, but if washed off the protection is gone. This is the primary reason that in the USA we have to refrigerate eggs. In Europe care is taken in keeping egg laying nests clean and the eggs are not washed before being sold to consumers. There is much less exposure to food poisoning.

In the United States especially one can say the same thing about all processed food including staples such as milk and eggs.

Most are probably not aware of the fact that the cleaning process of eggs in the USA actually results in possible contamination. The eggshell naturally has a film of protection that protects it in the womb and out, but if washed off the protection is gone. This is the primary reason that in the USA we have to refrigerate eggs. In Europe care is taken in keeping egg laying nests clean and the eggs are not washed before being sold to consumers. There is much less exposure to food poisoning.
huh. I keep eggs in the laundry in trays not in the fridge.
Anyway, I don't eat the shells.

Milk does need refrigeration though, but most of it is pasteurised before sale. Raw milk actually isn't allowed to be sold even though it tastes so much better (fresh from the cow). Although not having lived on a dairy farm I couldn't tell you the exact process, but for my chickens eggs at home I don't need to wash them.

I do know that on dairy farms they have huge electric milking machines and they need to be cleaned out regularly. The milk goes into big vats on milk tankers and gets processed at the milk factory, and then gets sold to the dairies every day. Farmers are up at 4am to milk the cows. We used to get milk delivered every morning to our doors/letterboxes in glass bottles using a token system. But for some reason it's all changed and now milk comes in plastic and cardboard that you have to go to the shop to buy.

huh. I keep eggs in the laundry in trays not in the fridge.
Anyway, I don't eat the shells.

Milk does need refrigeration though, but most of it is pasteurised before sale. Raw milk actually isn't allowed to be sold even though it tastes so much better (fresh from the cow). Although not having lived on a dairy farm I couldn't tell you the exact process, but for my chickens eggs at home I don't need to wash them.

I do know that on dairy farms they have huge electric milking machines and they need to be cleaned out regularly. The milk goes into big vats on milk tankers and gets processed at the milk factory, and then gets sold to the dairies every day. Farmers are up at 4am to milk the cows. We used to get milk delivered every morning to our doors/letterboxes in glass bottles using a token system. But for some reason it's all changed and now milk comes in plastic and cardboard that you have to go to the shop to buy.

Most countries do not wash their eggs, but the USA does they look better in the grocery store :( after washing it is absolutely necessary to refrigerate eggs. Eggs though in the washing process can get contaminated because the eggshell is porous.

Here are egg handling safety regs from Ireland typical of Europe very unlike the USA.

Egg Washing | FAQs | Food Safety Authority of Ireland (fsai.ie)

I grew up in the country. So I grew with fresh unprocessed milk and it was great. We had so much milk that we made butter, cheese, ice cream and mom baked alot.

Milk processing is much more than pasteurizing and homogenizing at least in the USA. There are additives put into the milk to fortify it.

What are the Steps in Milk Processing? (with pictures) (wisegeek.com)

Traces of chemicals used for cleaning food handling equipment may be found in the foods we eat as well.

Chemicals-in-Food-Hygiene-Volume-1.pdf (mygfsi.com)

It is hard to avoid contaminates in food these days especially in the USA. Some chemical are mandated even by the FDA.

Wine in the USA is mostly grown in the Napa Valley.
I don't know how they process it, but modern day methods they definitely don't use oak wine barrels anymore. It's all decanted into steel vats.

Wine in the USA is mostly grown in the Napa Valley.
I don't know how they process it, but modern day methods they definitely don't use oak wine barrels anymore. It's all decanted into steel vats.
Hi Lanolin;

We live about an hour south of Napa. When Hazel and I spend a day up there it is very beautiful and there are so many wine stops for sampling and drinking. This is a haven for patrol officers looking for drunk drivers.

But many folks enjoy the scenery and the center of town is very nice with artists and crafts displaying their works on the sidewalks. We'll stop and have a nice lunch.

Had our end of year christmas party last night.
I don't drink, when someone asked me why I wasn't drinking I just said I was driving (I offered to be the sober driver).

I had a ginger beer and water, but I don't always need to beholding a drink in my hand to have a good time.
There were a few others who weren't drinking alcohol. People get a bit rowdy when they've drunk too much wine or beer (or vodka). They also sometimes don't make sense!

This year, we were reduced to a Zoom Christmas party. I also noticed that no one in the building did any Christmas decorating. My office did not either, as we are still only coming in two people a day.

We just started our winter break, which means the wife and I and off until January 4th. None of our kids (or grandkids) live in Florida, so it is just the wife, the dog, and me.

This would be a good time to take care of the "honey do" list, but having been locked down for over a month in March, I did everything that needed to get done. So, I have nothing to do for the next two weeks.

The wife is in charge of buying all Christmas gifts for everyone, but my oldest daughter is in charge of figuring out what her mother wants for Christmas and letting me know. She has not done this yet, so I have no clue.

At least we did decorate the house:

tree.jpg

A little christmas cheer!
I had my school children decorate the library for me. I had a christmas book display.
One of them organised a secret santa draw. and another asked for a library movie party, so I made up gold and silver tickets and restricted it to no more than 10 children. We had popcorn, soda, strawberries and christmas cookies. Then the whole school had a fun day with amusements rides bought in. We cooked sausages for the whole school and had ice block juicies.
Schools out now!

A friend always invites me to her church's carol singing, we go door to door to mostly elderly homebound parishioners and sing carols and give them gifts. I dress up as an angel. (Got wings!)

Christmas day, we don't seem to have any restrictions within nz, but I think gatherings will be a lot smaller for many families who usually have people come home from overseas. My own family two siblings are out of the country - but as I have a big extended family its always more than ten people come over.

Thankfully the first lockdowns didnt' happen over Christmas, actually having them over Lent/ Easter when people are usually fasting probably helped.
Some of my family members might have a beer or a glass of wine on christmas day as part of the feast, but my family have never been big drinkers. Even though one of my cousins works at a lab testing drinks for a brewery.

Tea is more our thing.

A little christmas cheer!
I had my school children decorate the library for me. I had a christmas book display.
One of them organised a secret santa draw. and another asked for a library movie party, so I made up gold and silver tickets and restricted it to no more than 10 children. We had popcorn, soda, strawberries and christmas cookies. Then the whole school had a fun day with amusements rides bought in. We cooked sausages for the whole school and had ice block juicies.
Schools out now!

A friend always invites me to her church's carol singing, we go door to door to mostly elderly homebound parishioners and sing carols and give them gifts. I dress up as an angel. (Got wings!)

Christmas day, we don't seem to have any restrictions within nz, but I think gatherings will be a lot smaller for many families who usually have people come home from overseas. My own family two siblings are out of the country - but as I have a big extended family its always more than ten people come over.

Thankfully the first lockdowns didnt' happen over Christmas, actually having them over Lent/ Easter when people are usually fasting probably helped.
Some of my family members might have a beer or a glass of wine on christmas day as part of the feast, but my family have never been big drinkers. Even though one of my cousins works at a lab testing drinks for a brewery.

Tea is more our thing.
For both Christmas Eve and New Year's eve, they are extending the curfew to 1am. Social distancing and face coverings are still part of the experience. They can no longer fine people for not wearing a mask, but they can shut down restaurants and bars for 24 hours.

Looks like our Santa Clause impersonators are also having an issue, because it's just not the same to see Santa in a mask and no way to social distance and sit on the guy's knee.

We in wales have now gone into full lockdown again.
I won’t drink wine because last time I had a glass my legs became so irritable I couldn’t sit still( I don’t know how they make wine but I won’t drink it again)
Now I prefer tea and coffee and an occasional beer.
I’m trying to become vegan again since the food industry may allow previously questionable practices and content after Brexit

phew
it’s been a rough year for us all.
but I’m making major changes for the better

We in wales have now gone into full lockdown again.
I won’t drink wine because last time I had a glass my legs became so irritable I couldn’t sit still( I don’t know how they make wine but I won’t drink it again)
Now I prefer tea and coffee and an occasional beer.
I’m trying to become vegan again since the food industry may allow previously questionable practices and content after Brexit

phew
it’s been a rough year for us all.
but I’m making major changes for the better
Are you all working the vaccine thing?

Rtm

I was offered it last week but refused but yes all the other workers took it
Ok, so you all reported a total of 117,000 C19 cases with a population of around 3.136 million and 3,011 deaths. So your positivity rate is around 3.73% and mortality of around 2.57%. My county is almost the size of Wales (2.7 million), with a total of 272,098 C19 case, or 10.08%. Mortality rate of around 1.49%. Looks like we have a much higher infection rate but much lower mortality rate. Nope, I'll pony up and take the shot. The wife is a teacher, so she is surrounded by little C19 hand grenades. If I end up growing a tail, I'll deal with that later.

Ok, so you all reported a total of 117,000 C19 cases with a population of around 3.136 million and 3,011 deaths. So your positivity rate is around 3.73% and mortality of around 2.57%. My county is almost the size of Wales (2.7 million), with a total of 272,098 C19 case, or 10.08%. Mortality rate of around 1.49%. Looks like we have a much higher infection rate but much lower mortality rate. Nope, I'll pony up and take the shot. The wife is a teacher, so she is surrounded by little C19 hand grenades. If I end up growing a tail, I'll deal with that later.
Haha it will give you something to twiddle😂

Yeh I refused but only because my manager asked me on the last minute which meant I would have to travel miles whilst working consecutive nights which meant I would get no sleep in between shifts.

I will have the vaccine, maybe next month when there is another shot. but I’ll have it when I’m not working. My manager expected me to go regardless of my need for sleep in between 12 hour shifts. I’m not into the conspiracies surrounding all the hype but I am needle phobic😞

Vaccine hasn't got to nz yet.
We knew the richer countries would get it first. :-( Not the most needy ones.
I would check with your sources again:

New Zealand wins the prize for best neighbor ever.

The island nation is giving a helping hand across the South Pacific, buying COVID vaccines for six neighbors: Tokelau, Niue, the Cook Islands, Tonga, Samoa and Tuvalu.

New Zealand has a population of 5 million but has ordered roughly 18 million doses — 7.6 million from AstraZeneca and 10.72 million from Novovax, MyModernMet reported. Under the double-dose system, the order will cover more than 10 million people.

source: New Zealand buys enough COVID vaccine for its neighbors (nypost.com)

Haha it will give you something to twiddle😂

Yeh I refused but only because my manager asked me on the last minute which meant I would have to travel miles whilst working consecutive nights which meant I would get no sleep in between shifts.

I will have the vaccine, maybe next month when there is another shot. but I’ll have it when I’m not working. My manager expected me to go regardless of my need for sleep in between 12 hour shifts. I’m not into the conspiracies surrounding all the hype but I am needle phobic😞

I dislike needles myself. I just checked online to see where I was at in line for the vaccine. It seems that I will be in the last group of about 600,000 in our state of 7.5 million people. Though I'm nearing 61. My wife's mother is 97 and has other reasons to be more susceptible to Covid-19 she was ranked about 600,000. Not sure when she will be getting the vaccine.

It's likely to be months before all have the chance for the vaccine.

I dislike needles myself. I just checked online to see where I was at in line for the vaccine. It seems that I will be in the last group of about 600,000 in our state of 7.5 million people. Though I'm nearing 61. My wife's mother is 97 and has other reasons to be more susceptible to Covid-19 she was ranked about 600,000. Not sure when she will be getting the vaccine.

It's likely to be months before all have the chance for the vaccine.
Yes, it is a massive rollout for what could be well over 200 million people in the US alone. There is no way for this to go smoothly.

At some point, I suspect there will be multiple versions of the vaccine, depending on how many companies receive FDA approval. Once these vaccines are shipped to companies like CVS and Walgreens, it will move faster. However, those that require two shots will also see some complications with people that take the first but not the second.

Add to this the fact that it appears this will need to be a yearly vaccine event and it just gets more complicated. To some, the argument is going to be that the odds of dying is less than 2% (1.75% as of yesterday) and I am not all that sure the target of >75% is going to be reached. For the moment, it appears that C19 has moved into third place as the greatest cause of death (right after heart decease and cancer), so this is something to take serious (ever with a mortality rate of 1.75%).

I suspect that you are right, in that "regular" folks have months to wait. I figure this summer (don't through your mark away any time room). A couple of months later, assuming no significant mutation, they will start talking about round two for the vaccine.

Aside from the medical issue, there is also the economic issue. How long can businesses keep performing at >50%? Is anyone ever going to go back to the movie theaters? How much money can Uncle Sugar keep printing? The wife and I actually got a "stimulus" check last month (a Donald Trump autographed $600.00 check). This is sad on two fronts: First, it came in November! If I really needed it, it would be too little too late. Second, we don't need it, but have no way of giving it back. Trough the grace of God, neither the wife nor I have been impacted economically. We both have our jobs and are more than able to meet our obligations. We are actually better off financially today than we were one year ago today. This $600.00 could have been better used by someone else, but now I own it and, I suspect, will be paying it back soon enough.

Wow, this turned out way longer than I thought. Guess I have issues and needed to went.

Sorry

rtm3039

Yes, it is a massive rollout for what could be well over 200 million people in the US alone. There is no way for this to go smoothly.

At some point, I suspect there will be multiple versions of the vaccine, depending on how many companies receive FDA approval. Once these vaccines are shipped to companies like CVS and Walgreens, it will move faster. However, those that require two shots will also see some complications with people that take the first but not the second.

Add to this the fact that it appears this will need to be a yearly vaccine event and it just gets more complicated. To some, the argument is going to be that the odds of dying is less than 2% (1.75% as of yesterday) and I am not all that sure the target of >75% is going to be reached. For the moment, it appears that C19 has moved into third place as the greatest cause of death (right after heart decease and cancer), so this is something to take serious (ever with a mortality rate of 1.75%).

I suspect that you are right, in that "regular" folks have months to wait. I figure this summer (don't through your mark away any time room). A couple of months later, assuming no significant mutation, they will start talking about round two for the vaccine.

Aside from the medical issue, there is also the economic issue. How long can businesses keep performing at >50%? Is anyone ever going to go back to the movie theaters? How much money can Uncle Sugar keep printing? The wife and I actually got a "stimulus" check last month (a Donald Trump autographed $600.00 check). This is sad on two fronts: First, it came in November! If I really needed it, it would be too little too late. Second, we don't need it, but have no way of giving it back. Trough the grace of God, neither the wife nor I have been impacted economically. We both have our jobs and are more than able to meet our obligations. We are actually better off financially today than we were one year ago today. This $600.00 could have been better used by someone else, but now I own it and, I suspect, will be paying it back soon enough.

Wow, this turned out way longer than I thought. Guess I have issues and needed to went.

Sorry

rtm3039

It's an important topic at this time. Thankfully God is overall in charge. Man only thinks he is in charge. God's will, will be done in spite of men.

Back