I believe factory farming needs to go!

no but just seems the thing a caring parent would do, provide a home for their children and grandchildren rather than sell up and leave them homeless especially when there are no affordable homes for the next generation. A home can actually last for more than one generation if its built right. It's not like people are all living in tents!

But if your parents don't do this then we have a Father in heaven who will provide, He never said you had to earn your way to heaven. If that was the case then only rich people would have homes there.
Ok, "... rather than sell up and leave them homeless" indicates they were still living at home with their parents. This is a a generational thing, because I loved my parents to death and could not wait to become an adult and go off on my own. In fact, it was I that eventually moved back to my home town and brought my parents into my home so that they could live their remaining years in peace and not have to worry about their finances.

Being an adult comes with numerous phases: Gain an education, become independent, start a career, start a family, raise your family, retired from your career, and enjoy the latter part of your earthly life with sufficient financial independence to enjoy what you spent your entire life working on.

Rtm

If I recall Jesus was born in a stable and manger. There was no room at the inn and none of his family would open their homes to him when he was born. I think a lot of people seem to take their homes for granted. They may not be the first owners but homes were built with the intent of sheltering people, not so we could show them off in a house and garden magazine. Not that theres anything wrong with having a nice home but I sort of wonder what kind of people put photos of insides of their homes in magazines for everyone to see, especially if they not actually opening them to visitors lol

If you need to you would live under a bridge just to have somewhere dry.
Hi. Ok, I am pretty sure there is no Biblical indications to support the claim that "none of his family would open their homes to him when he was born." If there is, I do not know it.

I too am unsure of what kind of people have images of their homes in magazines, but I suspect it is people that are proud of what they have achieved in life. Now, I do not see why anyone needs a house with 17 bathrooms, but if you work hard for your money, it it your money to spend, right?

Rtm

Ok, "... rather than sell up and leave them homeless" indicates they were still living at home with their parents. This is a a generational thing, because I loved my parents to death and could not wait to become an adult and go off on my own. In fact, it was I that eventually moved back to my home town and brought my parents into my home so that they could live their remaining years in peace and not have to worry about their finances.

Being an adult comes with numerous phases: Gain an education, become independent, start a career, start a family, raise your family, retired from your career, and enjoy the latter part of your earthly life with sufficient financial independence to enjoy what you spent your entire life working on.

Rtm
that's just an american thing to do. It's kind of weird.

It's not about gaining financial independence, the reason why you have children and grandchildren is to enjoy time with THEM, not so you can have lots of money, because when you have a family you spend it all on them not yourself.

Just because you are an adult and go off for a while on your own doesn't mean you don't also have family obligations as well.

Hi. Ok, I am pretty sure there is no Biblical indications to support the claim that "none of his family would open their homes to him when he was born." If there is, I do not know it.

I too am unsure of what kind of people have images of their homes in magazines, but I suspect it is people that are proud of what they have achieved in life. Now, I do not see why anyone needs a house with 17 bathrooms, but if you work hard for your money, it it your money to spend, right?

Rtm
really, so why wasn't Joseph staying with any relations or family when Jesus was born?
He went all the way to Bethelehem, which was his HOME town to register for the census and yet there was no indication of meeting or staying with any relations? Don't you think it's a bit weird?

What people choose to do with their money is their business I suppose, even if its all spent on drugs and their children are going hungry, I guess have no right to say anything as they earned that money right?

Well this article clears a bit of confusion..I always thought middle eastern hospitality was such they wouldn't turn people away or relatives, just that maybe the houses were very small and there was probably no space (much like today, when people live in garages)

that's just an american thing to do. It's kind of weird.

It's not about gaining financial independence, the reason why you have children and grandchildren is to enjoy time with THEM, not so you can have lots of money, because when you have a family you spend it all on them not yourself.

Just because you are an adult and go off for a while on your own doesn't mean you don't also have family obligations as well.

Ok, there are parts of your comments that I agree with.

Our home has been a place some of our grown kids have returned to our of necessity. Your youngest son was in the military and deployed while his wife was pregnant - twice. As a result, she moved in with us and both those grandkids were born here in Miami.

Our oldest daughter has had serious financial setbacks several times in her adult life and has come "back home" several times. She suffers from a serious case of anxiety, so she has come back home more than any of the other kids and she is always in need of money. She is also really good at making one bad life choice after the other.

Our oldest son initial attempt at college fell apart really bad. He ended up moving back home for several years to figure it out. He figured it out, went back into the world and is now doing better than all of us.

if it were up to me, I would like a very large house where all of the kids, their spouses, and the grandkids could live as one unit. However, this is just not the way "things" go and we can only enjoy moments in time.

We just got back from a week in Memphis, TN to attend a wedding. Three generations staying in the same place and, for the most part, hanging in the same room. No one wanted that week to end, but they almost always do.

memphis.JPG

I'm a guessing when you have children there isn't actually any moral obligation to provide for them in some countries. I find that rather weird, though there are some that do say the dads have to provide child support and even divorced parents are ordered by the court to look after their children/provide even if they don't see them.

In my country, if you can't look after your own children the state can take them away. Social workers will come in and 'uplift' a child and place them in a foster home if you can't arrange for their care. So I am kind of confused that someone would say if you earn money then you can just buy whatever you want as you earned it. I don't think so, not when you have children. This is the reason why parents make wills.

Even when adult children are grown, this doesn't mean you can wash your hands of all responsibility for their welfare. Does God say in regards to His children, well you an adult now, I expect you to earn your keep and you are on your own. No, though He gives us work to do. He still provides and it's by His grace that we all can live. In fact, His grace is sufficient for us.

The prodigal returned and the Dad welcomed him back. But he also reassured his elder son about his place in the family, though he never left.

What happens in many families is the prodigal doesn't ever go back, or if he does go back, the Dad is so angry at him and doesn't give him any welcome or even acknowledges him.

really, so why wasn't Joseph staying with any relations or family when Jesus was born?
He went all the way to Bethelehem, which was his HOME town to register for the census and yet there was no indication of meeting or staying with any relations? Don't you think it's a bit weird?
Well, it depends. Both were living in Nazareth and then traveled to Bethlehem. Yes, that was Joseph's home town; however, there is no indication he had any family there. My home town is Miami, FL; however, I no longer have any family living here (aside from my wife).

You do brig up an interesting point, I just do not have sufficient background on the subject. Maybe one of our more learned members will jump in and answer this question.

Rtm

I'm a guessing when you have children there isn't actually any moral obligation to provide for them in some countries. I find that rather weird, though there are some that do say the dads have to provide child support and even divorced parents are ordered by the court to look after their children/provide even if they don't see them.

In my country, if you can't look after your own children the state can take them away. Social workers will come in and 'uplift' a child and place them in a foster home if you can't arrange for their care. So I am kind of confused that someone would say if you earn money then you can just buy whatever you want as you earned it. I don't think so, not when you have children. This is the reason why parents make wills.

Even when adult children are grown, this doesn't mean you can wash your hands of all responsibility for their welfare. Does God say in regards to His children, well you an adult now, I expect you to earn your keep and you are on your own. No, though He gives us work to do. He still provides and it's by His grace that we all can live. In fact, His grace is sufficient for us.
Ok, legally (and morally), parents should be responsible for all aspects of their child's life (shelter, subsistence, safety, and education). Once a child reaches the age of majority, there is no longer a legal obligation, but there is a moral one (to some degree).

I have seen, in so many occasions, children taking advantage of their parents. I know a 50ish year old man that still living with his mother because she does his laundry and cooks for him. His wife left him, for some odd reason. I've actually been told by 30 a something that they still live at home because they get to live rent free and can use their money to travel and enjoy life.

We have a large number of people who have children, but are unable (or unwilling) to take care of them. If the courts order someone to pay child support, not paying this can result in some serious issues of a legal nature.

In our schools, we actually provide children with weekend meals, if we know that they will otherwise go hungry.

rtm

Actually, God gave Noah and his family meat to eat after the waters subsided and they were off the Ark.

Genesis 9: 2,3

The fear and dread of you shall rest on every animal of the earth, and on every bird of the air, on everything that creeps on the ground, and on all the fish of the sea; into your hand they are delivered. Every moving thing that lives shall be food for you; and just as I gave you the green plants, I give you everything.
Hi Naomanos

You have to consider that it rained 40 days on the earth (Genesis 7:17) and waters receded after 150 days (Genesis 8:3). And it took 3 months before Noah could see the top of mountains (Genesis 8:4-5)

Animal food like hay for example can last from 2 to 3 years. But most fruits and vegetables can only last up to 2 or 3 weeks when they are in the fridge. If Noah and his family started eating meat after the end of the flood, then what did they eat when they were in the ark since the fruits and vegetables would have rotted before they had exited the ark?

How do they farm alligators ?
Or are they just caught wild?

we don’t have any exotic meat here in the U.K. that stands out.
But welsh lamb is something else. Sorry sheep but you actually are the best tasting animals on the planet😊

Hi Naomanos

You have to consider that it rained 40 days on the earth (Genesis 7:17) and waters receded after 150 days (Genesis 8:3). And it took 3 months before Noah could see the top of mountains (Genesis 8:4-5)

Animal food like hay for example can last from 2 to 3 years. But most fruits and vegetables can only last up to 2 or 3 weeks when they are in the fridge. If Noah and his family started eating meat after the end of the flood, then what did they eat when they were in the ark since the fruits and vegetables would have rotted before they had exited the ark?

I simply only quoted what the Bible said.

Surely, if God can raise Jesus from the dead he can also keep fruits and vegetables going for Noah and his family on the Ark.

Good one, forgiven! 😂 lol!

Chuck,
what other animals did your family farm besides goats? 🐪 🐘 🐧

lol! I never ate or developed a taste for goat, sheep, lamb or ram, and I do have all the respect for those who do enjoy Bible food. lol!

For me, I love my steak, hamburgers, buffalo burgers followed by alka seltzer.

I don't believe they are factory farming but family farming.

L😎L!
We had chickens, cows, geese, ducks, guinea fowl, turkeys (stupid fowls), and of course our pets dogs and cats...... along with the unwanted raccoon visitors and other pests.

Hi Naomanos

sprouts
You can keep seeds and sprout them in water, and also, keep plants growing in pots, and catch fish..
Rice and grains don't spoil. Dried Beans and legumes are also a source of protein.

Ok, legally (and morally), parents should be responsible for all aspects of their child's life (shelter, subsistence, safety, and education). Once a child reaches the age of majority, there is no longer a legal obligation, but there is a moral one (to some degree).

I have seen, in so many occasions, children taking advantage of their parents. I know a 50ish year old man that still living with his mother because she does his laundry and cooks for him. His wife left him, for some odd reason. I've actually been told by 30 a something that they still live at home because they get to live rent free and can use their money to travel and enjoy life.

We have a large number of people who have children, but are unable (or unwilling) to take care of them. If the courts order someone to pay child support, not paying this can result in some serious issues of a legal nature.

In our schools, we actually provide children with weekend meals, if we know that they will otherwise go hungry.

rtm
sometimes parents MAKE their children stay at home as adults. There's two sides to every story though.
Yes there is elder abuse but there is also child abuse which is possibly more prevalent in this day and age.

People these days do not have the same opportunities to leave home, have secure jobs and make a home like baby boomers did. I wish people would realise that and stop blaming the younger generation for something they don't have much control over. Economies can thrive or they can stagnate.

Back