Is fear a sin?

tumblr_lw33hy1ial1qh5mm9o1_500.gif

I...am...getting...sleepy. I...am...afraid...of...flowers. I...eat...shoes.

The OP asks: is fear a sin. If you read back at the beginning...that is how I read certain posts..that fear IS a sin. And I disagree. At the beginning of Job, BOTH God and Satan agree that Job is righteous/blameless. God holds him up as an example of what He wants in a believer. Satan's challenge is: take the blessings away and he won't be. Despite Job's calamaties with his children...he did not curse or blame God. So Satan is allowed to affect Job's health. Job questions why this happened to him and his friends say he must have done something wrong. You will notice God condemns Job's friends. Ask yourself why. God does not condemn Job for questioning how his troubles came about.
The prosperity preachers preach that if you send money to them, all your problems are solved. You will be wealthy and healthy. If you don't get there, it is because you don't have enough faith.
The faith healers say: if you aren't healed, it is because you do not have enough faith.
If you believe Christ is the way, the truth and the life. If you believe Christ died as atonement for our sins and that He will return. You have enough faith.
To say to someone that has cancer and then asked God for healing and is still cancerous, that they didn't have enough faith, IMO, is attacking a person's faith. And I don't see how that helps anyone. And certainly doesn't prove the point that they are ill because they don't have enough faith. Or that you don't have cancer because you do have enough faith.
And it is my opinion that comparing someone's faith with one's own, is judging. And the judging smacks of pride.
I do not say any of this because I want to argue with anyone. And if I have misunderstood what anyone has posted, I make apologies. Christ knew what was coming in Gethsemane. He asked, if possible, to have this cup pass from Him. His is/was a dual nature. His human body felt pain and suffering, otherwise His sacrifice means nothing. I totally agree, btw, Christ never acted out of fear. I won't speculate that He had any.
I've said my piece. I am not offended by disagreement. And I figure that whatever your strength of faith, I pray for myself and others here, for understanding, discernment, and clarity. May we all be blessed with it.

I was gonna add something...maybe for clarification..shall I?

Fish catcher Jim. What you say is plausible
Also Dan you also right, its about lack of trust, not fear in itself. Being Godfearing, as Job was, was a GOOD thing. Thats what God likes to see. but Job took it too far. God wants Job to be Godloving.

Job of course...did not sin WITH HIS LIPS. But what about his heart? Was his heart right with God? could God really endure Jobs complaints or did he put a stop to it?
Have you ever heard of someone paying lipservice to someone? People praising God, with their mouths, but by their actions show they dont really trust God?

This is what I got from Jobs story...of course I find it hard to read because of all the complaining.

@Silk ,

Hello and God Bless You Silk,

The prosperity preachers preach that if you send money to them, all your problems are solved. You will be wealthy and healthy. If you don't get there, it is because you don't have enough faith.

Biblical Prosperity does not say nor claim this statement above. Most Pastors who teach on prosperity do not ever claim such a thing.

If you believe Christ is the way, the truth and the life. If you believe Christ died as atonement for our sins and that He will return. You have enough faith.

I agree if you believe this you have enough faith to be saved. However faith is like a muscle and must be fed properly and worked out or built up properly as well. Other wise when persecution for the word sake comes you will not stand against if you have not built up your faith.

To say to someone that has cancer and then asked God for healing and is still cancerous, that they didn't have enough faith, IMO, is attacking a person's faith. And I don't see how that helps anyone. And certainly doesn't prove the point that they are ill because they don't have enough faith. Or that you don't have cancer because you do have enough faith.
And it is my opinion that comparing someone's faith with one's own, is judging. And the judging smacks of pride.

Silk here you are changing what has been said and then coming to your own judgment of what has been said. What was asked was what do you do with the fear of what the doctor tells you when you had prayed for healing ? No place did this say any one here has more Faith or any one does not have enough faith. No one has judged any ones faith here.

This is the fear we have been talking about. This is the fear that works against faith and is opposed to the word of God. You can not stand in Faith and Fear at the same time. See Peters choice to focus on the fear of the wind and waves, for it destroyed his faith and he began to sink. This is the fear we have been talking about. So how does this fall into judgment ?

I do not say any of this because I want to argue with anyone. And if I have misunderstood what anyone has posted, I make apologies. Christ knew what was coming in Gethsemane. He asked, if possible, to have this cup pass from Him. His is/was a dual nature. His human body felt pain and suffering, otherwise His sacrifice means nothing. I totally agree, btw, Christ never acted out of fear. I won't speculate that He had any.

Silk I have not tried to say fear is sin. I have been trying to get you to see this. I did say that fear that is opposed to the word of God or another words the fear that will take your focus from God and put it on circumstances or persecution is fear that destroys your faith and this type and only this type of fear have i said would be sin only because this type of fear which is issued by the devil will destroy your faith and trust in God and His word or promises.

Now this is not fear of God nor the fear you feel if you step out in front of as car. The only fear that we were trying to figure out is fear that i opposed to His word. This is the same fear that Jesus spoke of to Jairus when He told him Stop The Fear and ONLY Believe. Why ? Because this type of fear destroys your faith or believing in His word or promises.

I've said my piece. I am not offended by disagreement. And I figure that whatever your strength of faith, I pray for myself and others here, for understanding, discernment, and clarity. May we all be blessed with it.

Silk I have not been offended by you or any one else. I just was trying very hard to get through that I was not saying all fear was bad. The Fear that which is bad is the fear that comes against your faith.

OBTW when you are standing on your healing and the doctor gives you a bad report. You have to have decided before that point in time to not allow anything other then His word and your healing to enter into your thinking and speaking. God word must have First and Last place. Ask those who have had to fight the good fight of faith for their healing. They all will tell you that they simply would not allow fear of the doctors report choke out their faith and trust in His written word and their healing.

Silk I pray this make better sense to you and you can finally see that I am not saying all fear is Bad.....
God Bless You Silk
Love in Christ
Jim

Actually, there can be benefit in rereading posts from the beginning. If I have paraphrased 8 pages of posts, I am saying what I understood of what was posted - not twisted. My opinion of what I have read is not judgement of the poster, or any one poster. And your latest post @Fish Catcher Jim continues my understanding of what you have posted previously.
OBTW when you are standing on your healing and the doctor gives you a bad report. You have to have decided before that point in time to not allow anything other then His word and your healing to enter into your thinking and speaking. God word must have First and Last place. Ask those who have had to fight the good fight of faith for their healing. They all will tell you that they simply would not allow fear of the doctors report choke out their faith and trust in His written word and their healing.

I have had cancer. And I am healed. My fears had nothing to do with it. I'm not afraid of dying. I have talked with many who believe and died of cancer. I understand what you are professing, Jim. I fear you don't get what I am saying. One of Christ's promises is fairly clear (I think), in the following verses. And I will say again that most all of the Apostles were murdered for their work. John, as I recall (I'm sure you will correct if I have recalled wrongly) was sentenced to death (boiling in oil?) and a miracle prevented his death - so he was exiled to Patmos. To write the book of Revelation. We are promised to have trials because of our faith.
Mat_5:11 Blessed are ye, when men shall revile you, and persecute you, and shall say all manner of evil against you falsely, for my sake.
Mat_5:44 But I say unto you, Love your enemies, bless them that curse you, do good to them that hate you, and pray for them which despitefully use you, and persecute you;
Mat_10:23 But when they persecute you in this city, flee ye into another: for verily I say unto you, Ye shall not have gone over the cities of Israel, till the Son of man be come.
Mat_23:34 Wherefore, behold, I send unto you prophets, and wise men, and scribes: and some of them ye shall kill and crucify; and some of them shall ye scourge in your synagogues, and persecute them from city to city:
Luk_11:49 Therefore also said the wisdom of God, I will send them prophets and apostles, and some of them they shall slay and persecute:
Luk_21:12 But before all these, they shall lay their hands on you, and persecute you, delivering you up to the synagogues, and into prisons, being brought before kings and rulers for my name's sake.
Joh_5:16 And therefore did the Jews persecute Jesus, and sought to slay him, because he had done these things on the sabbath day.
Joh_15:20 Remember the word that I said unto you, The servant is not greater than his lord. If they have persecuted me, they will also persecute you; if they have kept my saying, they will keep yours also.
Rom_12:14 Bless them which persecute you: bless, and curse not.

In regards to doubt. Was Thomas sinning to say that he would have to put his hand into our Lord's side to believe that He had risen?

Our Lord honored Thomas's doubt's by inviting him to do just that kind of examination. I was taught that Thomas was a proxy for all who should need exacting physical proof.

It seems to me that Thomas and his doubt's were part of out Lord's plan.
The flesh is very strong. We tend to be set in our ways and when something that is totally contrary to what we understand is possible, it takes a bit more to break through that. Until Jesus, no one ever walked on water. Until Jesus no one ever raised themselves from the dead. A lot of things Jesus did were done by others in the OT. At the time Christ came there was a great debate among the priests as to whether there was such a thing as the resurrection. This debate was expressed like we do here with the population. They couldn't understand Jesus' words about Him dying and coming back after three days. It was so against their belief system that when it did happen, they still couldn't get past men's teaching. Traditions are brutal to the truth. From when I was 11 years old, I've been taught certain things and in the last 5 years, I've had to unlearn them because as with anything, a misunderstanding can easily twist or hijack the truth. That's the devil's favorite game. Which is all the more reason by importance that we filter all information through the Holy Spirit. He will teach us in all truth, 1 John 2:27.

Job then repented in sack cloth and ashes when God really did show up.
And God saw that Job prayed for his friends..then gave him more than he had before. Cos Job was humbled from being self righteous.
Very well understood and explained!! (y)

Job........
First I write a small out line of what is in question and then quote scripture that show what i am saying. Please follow through this and see for your self.
The first thing we learn about Job is the Blessing of God was working in his life. We have all agreed on this point. We know Job was wealthy in finances and live stock and spiritually. Job lived by faith in the blessing of God and then his children grew up.

Once his children grew up he began to fret and worry every time his children got together and had a party. He worried in fear that his children were sinning against God.

Job developed such a terror about this that every time one of them had a party or get together, well Job sent and sanctified them, and rose up early in the morning, and offered burnt offerings according to the number of them all: FOR JOB SAID, it may be that my sons have sinned and cursed God in their hearts. Thus did Job continually. (job1:5)

We see in Job1:5 that he was obsessed with the fact his children might have cursed God and sinned against God.

We see in .....that the thing which I greatly feared is come upon me......I was not in safety.....neither had I rest......neither was I quiet.....yet trouble came.....

I broke these two scriptures down this way so as to make it easier to see.

1. the thing which I greatly feared has come upon me.....
Job stepped out of walking by Faith in God and stepped into walking into fear of his children sinning against God and cursing God.

2. I was not in safety.........
This is saying that Job was not walking in Faith of God and under the blessing of God...Once you step out into fear..you have left out from under the blessing....his fear over his children sinning against God was bigger in his thinking then his remembering of Gods protection of the blessing.

3. Neither had I rest.........
Why did Job say he had no rest ? Easy he was to busy worrying about his children.....he was up all night worrying.....he had lost his peace in God, once he stepped out into fear and doubt.

4. Neither was I quiet......Job ran his mouth...speaking words of fear and doubt and worry.....remember he has stepped out of the safety place of God and His blessing. See every one of us falls right into this every time we allow our words to speak anything other then the word of God or another words faith filled words.

5. yet trouble came..... job thought he was doing right by his family by worrying and thought he was being responsible and this happens to many believers.

Ok Next is the conversation between God and satin.....

First a few points....all the devil knew was this man had the blessing over him and the devil described it as a hedge of protection. The devil wanted Job all along to curse God and that is why he even had an interest in Job.

Now lets look at two verses here.

Doth Job fear God for nought? Has not thou made an hedge about him, and about his house, and about all he hath on every side? Thou has blessed the work of his hands, and his substance is increased in the land. BUT put forth thine hand now and touch all that he hath and he will CURSE you to thy face.

And the Lord said unto satin, Behold all that he hath is in thy power: only upon himself put not forth thine hand. So satin went froth from the presence of the Lord.

We can see two things .
1..the devil had wanted Job to curse God from the beginning.
........This is why Job was speaking in all that fear about his children sinning and cursing God...That is how our enemy works,,,,he has to get us to speak out against what the word of God says... Then he has the right to enter into the situation.....even jobs wife eventually sided with satin and told Job to just give up and cures God.( job2:9 ) ...Man that is easy to see where she got that idea from..........However in all Job did say, He never cursed God. THATS WHY WE READ.....In ALL this did not Job sin with his lips. ( )

2....The second thing we learn here in these two verses is this.....
God did not tell the devil, "Here I put Job into your hands and you do what ever you want".
The devil was poorly mistaken to even suggest such a thing because God was in no way going to stretch out His hand against Job. God NEVER agreed with satin to what satin suggested.

HOWEVER GOD DID SAY THIS......"BEHOLD he is already in your hand"
We don't use the word Behold much at all these days. I mean when was the last time you heard some one say BEHOLD is not this car beautiful ?

Now if you look up this word "Behold" in any of the translations such as Hebrew or Greek or English or Spanish or any other translation...YOU WILL LEARN that it ALWAYS MEANS " Look and see. Wake up and pay attention"

See God was telling satan that JOB had already opened the door to him or had given satan the right to do as he wanted to do. God was simply telling the devil the truth....Job had already tore down the protective hedge around him ( the blessing of God) when he stepped out into fear and worry and doubt. HOWEVER God did sent a boundary.....spare his life or another words satin could do whatever....EXCEPT....KILL JOB...

The once satan finally grasped that Job had stepped out of or lost the blessing this protective hedge...well you know the story....satin with after job with vengeance.

Then Job ran his mouth complaining about everything but still NEVER CURSED GOD......Funny how this story ends.....God sends a preacher to preach some sense back into job.......AND once Job repented of his errors...God restored the blessing back and Job increased in all.
This does not say Job sinned..............
Jim
Very well spelled out and true!! :D

I just have one thing I wish to add, tapping it onto my pocket sized tablet...

Fear, doubt, other emotions... They are the things that get us moving, (or, prevent us from moving). They are tools. When the tools are in the service of the Master, wonderful things happen. When the tools are in the service of our natural selves, they are unsteady and ultimately cause great harm. When they are in the service of the enemy, disastrous results can happen, even if the enemy has hidden the fact.

Fear and doubt in the service of anyone but our Lord is sin, but the key point is who is in control.

I love all that I have 'spoken' to and 'heard' from here!

In Christian Love

Siloam

I would like to know what are your beliefs on whether fear and doubt are a sin?

I can not recall anywhere in the bible that states that fear or doubt are sins. It says many times not to fear or doubt but does not call them sins. Even the attitude in the bible concerning fear and doubt doesn't seem to express that it is sin. God doesn't get angry or pronounce judgment on it. Now keep in mind I am talking about with regards to the believer.

If anyone can present a scriptural case against this please do so. I really would like to know the truth about it.

I hope not. I saw a huge hairy spider just yesterday in my back yard and it scared me to death.

I would like to know what are your beliefs on whether fear and doubt are a sin?

Correct if I'm wrong, but didn't Jesus have fear at the Garden of Olives? He knew he was going to suffer an atrocious death, so it was only natural that He should be afraid.

(And yet, He freely chose to die for our sins, that's what made His gesture so extraordinary)

I don't think that fear is a sin but I do agree the only thing we should fear in this world is God's wrath.

Jesus Christ takes away our fears and hell, by the contrary, is the kingdom of fear.

I had contact with a possessed woman in the past and it was the most terrifying experience ever. It was sheer terror that paralysed me and chilled my bones but I can't really explain why, I wasn't in any real danger.

Correct if I'm wrong, but didn't Jesus have fear at the Garden of Olives? He knew he was going to suffer an atrocious death, so it was only natural that He should be afraid.

(And yet, He freely chose to die for our sins, that's what made His gesture so extraordinary)

I don't think that fear is a sin but I do agree the only thing we should fear in this world is God's wrath.

As a child of God through Jesus Christ, why would I or any other Christian need to have any fear of God or His wrath? He is our Father.

Jesus had no fear. He had complete courage and resoluteness to face head on all He came to do.

Lets look at a little story found in the bible. It is about a man who wanted his daughter to live and his name was Jairus. Now He went out and found Jesus and reached out for Jesus to save his daughter and Jesus agreed and they were on their way to Jairus's home. Now then things just don't always work out the way you want them too and it was no different in this situation.

People were pressing on and all around Jesus and all the time Jairus is thinking about his daughter and getting Jesus there. Look Jairus was a man and human being just like any of us so he faced all the same fears and emotions and thoughts that any of us would.

Now then here is Jesus still in the streets and the clock has been busy ticking away and Jairus is still holding on trying to get Jesus to his house to save his daughter. Now you know satan would be placing thoughts of doubt and fear and death in Jairus just like any of us. Then here comes this lady who had suffered the issue of blood for years and spent all her money on doctors to no cure.

She knew in her heart if she could but just touch His garment then she would be made whole or healed and she pressed on and on until she did it. She touched the hem of His garment and right then and there healing power went from Jesus into this woman and she was made whole. Now Jesus knew this had happened so He knew it was some one with pure faith and strong faith that had caused this to happen and this is why He turned and asked who did touch me.

Ok now the disciples thought he was nuts and were kind of like are you for real ? Look at all these people pushing around us and you ask who touched you ? Like all of them Lord. See the disciples did not understand what had happened or have any real revelational understanding of His healing power of God.

Now here is Jairus still waiting and thinking of his daughter and knowing Jesus said He would come and heal her. You know Jairus was getting pretty worked up on the inside just as any of us would. Remember they are still learning this new gospel of Christ and Jesus had not been to the cross yet and did not have all these bibles and ministries teaching him like we do. Ok so now the woman confronts Jesus and tells Him what she did. Now think since we know it was written how she had been to all these doctors to no avail she must have started in telling Jesus and those around all about it.

I mean here is this woman who had this issue for so long and no one could help her and she had spent all her cash in trying. I can just see Jairus standing there and seeing all of this going on. I mean come on lady shut up your big mouth and let me take Jesus now to save my daughter.......Ok now just about this time here comes a man to tell Jairus ...look dude your daughter is dead and so you need not trouble the Master any longer to heal her.

You know who influenced this guy to say that....Don't trouble the master any longer. Why it was our enemy the devil trying to convince Jairus it was to late. Your daughter is dead and you can not do anything about it........Oh but one more thing is said to Jairus.......It is by our Lord Jesus. Why He turned to Jairus and spoke these very words. STOP THE FEAR...AND ONLY BELIEVE. Stop the fear ? Did He say stop the fear ? Yup He sure did because for Jairus to fear would be killing his own faith and we just heard Jesus say your Faith has made you whole to the woman.

Well we know Jairus stopped any and all fear and only believed in Jesus and His words for eventually they got going and got to Jairus's home. People were crying and mourning over this girls death. So what did Jesus do ? He began removing people from there. Not all people but people who feared and doubted and had no faith in Jesus. Jesus simply removed the doubt and unbelief and fear from the situation.......That is what we are to do.

When we believe for something from a healing or new job to a hang nail fixed we must stay in Faith until we see it manifested into this material realm we live in. This means NO Doubt or Fear and satan will see to it that it comes to you. Either your faith man which answers the door when fear comes knocking or your flesh man does. Check out James he got a hold of this after Jesus was raised from the dead. You want to learn about how to see your prayer answered spend some quality time with James.

Any way we know how this ends. The Girl Lives.....
So this is not something I made up.....but rather something we all need to learn. It is kingdom law or process. It is as Kingdom protocol.
God Bless You All
Jim

Back