Sin and the Internet

My kids do the same..I have 2, and they need always more money

the latest one today is...
'mum can you lend me 100 quid my car insurance has just gone up'

i'm sure your kids do love you rtm, I used to be the same with my dad too. I would be asking him for a borrow, and then when I went to give it back, he would say "never mind, enjoy yourself"

its a tough world out there... and us parents are just big softies😇
Oh, I have no doubt that they love me. Since reaching the age of adults, two have returned (one more than once). It was not like "dad, can I come home because I really miss you?" In both cases, they made bad decisions and were not financially able to recover without serious financial help.

I often recall a conversation I had with a 40 something police officer who still lived with his mother. His position was that his mom cooks and does his laundry, so why leave? Another adult I met lived with her parents, so she would use her paycheck to travel and not to pay any of the bills.

I fully understand that there was a time when it was mutually beneficial for families to stay together, and it would be nice to at least leave closer, but everyone needs to jump out of the nest and flap their own wings.

Hey Bob,

I do not recall when we first got internet, but it would have been close to when it was available, as I have always been a "geek" and got int this as soon as possible. I remember having to "dial up" and hearing the now historical "You've Got Mail." So, this would have been very late 1980s or early 1990.

Move forward to 2000 and we get the "M-DCPS Announces Districtwide School Closures Effective Monday, March 16, 2020." This was initially set for a week, then spring break, then back to normal. We ended up not opening for the rest of the year and, for the following year, we had this dual modality thing where some went back to class and most went on-line. Just to make it more fun, less than a month after starting the dual modality, this happens "Miami-Dade County Public Schools, the fourth-largest school district in the U.S., faces a barrage of cyberattacks that disrupted virtual classes and locked students and teachers out of the online learning platform. Local police, the FBI, and the U.S. Secret Service probe the matter." It ended up being a 16 y/o student who got the program, for free, from the Dark web. It cost millions of dollars to fix what he broke. He was arrested, but the district decided not to press charges.

At the time I was not in charge of anything but was apparently the only person at the office who knew anything (aka: the Geek). Had to introduce people to what a VPN was, how to use video conferencing (aka: Zoom), had to create a virtual office via Teams, and even had to research available services to get documents signed (DocuSign). The boss at the time did not think this would last, so she left her work PC at the office. Three other people had no reliable internet service. To take events even crazier, the stress was too much for the boss, who resigned via a text message. So, from Marh 17, 2000 until August 18, 2021, it was a struggle between unused software and untrained software users.

So, the moral of the story is that the internet would be a much greater issue, if most people knew just how powerful this tool is.
trust me they Know a lady at our scam got scammed by a guy on the net close to 4 grand in gift cards buy the cards show me the numbers. promising to come to her . she even drove to a major air port to search for him. on top of that he sent her a 6 grand check to deposit in her account . then wire the money back to her. wire fraud is a big thing

trust me they Know a lady at our scam got scammed by a guy on the net close to 4 grand in gift cards buy the cards show me the numbers. promising to come to her . she even drove to a major air port to search for him. on top of that he sent her a 6 grand check to deposit in her account . then wire the money back to her. wire fraud is a big thing
During the time I worked for the state, I ran the Miami office of the Florida Office of Financial Regulations. We investigated financial crimes, to include internet-based fraud. If your friend only lost six thousand, she is lucky. We worked cases on people that were scammed as much as half a million. The only thing that surprised me was just how easy it was to scam people. Micro-loans and startup crypto companies were the most used. The sad thing is that if the "bad guys" did not get carried away and knew when enough is enough, most would get away clean.

Oh, I have no doubt that they love me. Since reaching the age of adults, two have returned (one more than once). It was not like "dad, can I come home because I really miss you?" In both cases, they made bad decisions and were not financially able to recover without serious financial help.

I often recall a conversation I had with a 40 something police officer who still lived with his mother. His position was that his mom cooks and does his laundry, so why leave? Another adult I met lived with her parents, so she would use her paycheck to travel and not to pay any of the bills.

I fully understand that there was a time when it was mutually beneficial for families to stay together, and it would be nice to at least leave closer, but everyone needs to jump out of the nest and flap their own wings.
yea and then they come back, don't you want them to EVER come back?

Otherwise wouldn't you do what clever parents do...sell the house and move into a retirement village apartment so they can't take up anymore space and only allowed brief visits. lol

I always give money to my parents to pay bills. My mum begged me to come back lol. I think she liked riding in my car as dad drives a bit too fast and doesn't take her shopping. She says shes too scared to back out of the driveway. I try to encourage her to drive but to this day never seen her get behind the wheel, even when I offered.

It got to point she was being a bit entitled like I was like her personal free chauffeur/taxi so I stepped back and said well, give me some gas money and then I can take you all over town. Besides, I have my own work and places to go. But she still has never given me any gas money like it doesn't compute that the car needs gas and money to pay for it or it doesn't go!!

During the time I worked for the state, I ran the Miami office of the Florida Office of Financial Regulations. We investigated financial crimes, to include internet-based fraud. If your friend only lost six thousand, she is lucky. We worked cases on people that were scammed as much as half a million. The only thing that surprised me was just how easy it was to scam people. Micro-loans and startup crypto companies were the most used. The sad thing is that if the "bad guys" did not get carried away and knew when enough is enough, most would get away clean.
Money laundering.

Your kids/children need a financial education on the way money works. Unfortunately people are gullible and there are scammers.
Sounds like you had two prodigals but the thing is, the father in the story shouldn't have let the prodigal go and given him ALL the inheritance to travel the world to start with, where he blew it all on riotous living. lol

The father could have just given him a little bit right. Not the whole lot at once and said, have a good time on your trip but come back after a year and then get a real job.

I've never borrowed money from my parents it would be weird.
They are not a bank.

I've known families that are torn apart over loans. I had one bro try to borrow money from me to pay for his extra toy car...and I'm like no. You chose to have that toy car that doesn't even go. Why should I pay for it.

If you need money in a GENUINE emergency I would just gift it and not expect payback. Otherwise, people don't learn to be wise and live within their means. If their means are very small, then they have to deal with that and make the most of what they had been given. That's just the way it is.

yea and then they come back, don't you want them to EVER come back?

Otherwise wouldn't you do what clever parents do...sell the house and move into a retirement village apartment so they can't take up anymore space and only allowed brief visits. lol

I always give money to my parents to pay bills. My mum begged me to come back lol. I think she liked riding in my car as dad drives a bit too fast and doesn't take her shopping. She says shes too scared to back out of the driveway. I try to encourage her to drive but to this day never seen her get behind the wheel, even when I offered.

It got to point she was being a bit entitled like I was like her personal free chauffeur/taxi so I stepped back and said well, give me some gas money and then I can take you all over town. Besides, I have my own work and places to go. But she still has never given me any gas money like it doesn't compute that the car needs gas and money to pay for it or it doesn't go!!
No, not really. I want them to enjoy their lives as independent contributors to their own journeys. If one were to come back, it would probably be due to some personal failure, and I would not want that.

Our youngest son was in the military for about 6 years. He deployed twice and, both times, his wife was pregnant, and he was gone for a year each time. We relocated the daughter-in-law to live with us, where she gave birth both times. Once the son returned, we packed up the daughter-on-law, the grandkid(s), and their dog and they went back to their normal lives.

None of our kids live in Miami, FL, so it's not like they are wrestling to see who comes here first. When I do retire, we are the ones that will relocate to Memphis, as that is where my wife is from and a central location to all our "kids" and grandkids.

Money laundering.

Your kids/children need a financial education on the way money works. Unfortunately people are gullible and there are scammers.
Sounds like you had two prodigals but the thing is, the father in the story shouldn't have let the prodigal go and given him ALL the inheritance to travel the world to start with, where he blew it all on riotous living. lol

The father could have just given him a little bit right. Not the whole lot at once and said, have a good time on your trip but come back after a year and then get a real job.
???

No, not really. I want them to enjoy their lives as independent contributors to their own journeys. If one were to come back, it would probably be due to some personal failure, and I would not want that.

Our youngest son was in the military for about 6 years. He deployed twice and, both times, his wife was pregnant, and he was gone for a year each time. We relocated the daughter-in-law to live with us, where she gave birth both times. Once the son returned, we packed up the daughter-on-law, the grandkid(s), and their dog and they went back to their normal lives.

None of our kids live in Miami, FL, so it's not like they are wrestling to see who comes here first. When I do retire, we are the ones that will relocate to Memphis, as that is where my wife is from and a central location to all our "kids" and grandkids.

hmm. And if you were sick and needed care, or your wife died you don't want them looking after you? But you do want to be closer to them don't you.
I guess the military isn't really a job that's about having a home. I can't imagine a husband leaving his young pregnant wife when she really needs him most but then I guess thats what you sign up for.

I've never borrowed money from my parents it would be weird.
They are not a bank.

I've known families that are torn apart over loans. I had one bro try to borrow money from me to pay for his extra toy car...and I'm like no. You chose to have that toy car that doesn't even go. Why should I pay for it.

If you need money in a GENUINE emergency I would just gift it and not expect payback. Otherwise, people don't learn to be wise and live within their means. If their means are very small, then they have to deal with that and make the most of what they had been given. That's just the way it is.
Wait. Are you "talking" about micro loans?

There are companies that offer small loans (micro) to people that cannot get a loan otherwise. Usually, people with really bad credit scores.

You set up a virtual company that claims to specialize in small personal loans (usually no more than $5,000) with a promise of no credit check and easy payments with very low interest rates. They then buy call lists of people who have attempted to get a loan but were denied. They reach out to these folks to start the process. While no credit check is made, the loaner has to pay 10% upfront and in cash. They are instructed to send the 10% via western union. After they sent the money, they are never contacted again.

Since the money lost is usually under $500.00, they just suck it up and attempts to legal action (which would cost more." Now, $500.00 does not sound like much, but if they get 10,000 people to bite, that's $5,000,000.00 in cash that disappears without a trace.

With the internet the way it is, you can setup a fake company, an office front, and make official documents with no need to identify yourself.

am referring to prodigal son Bible story

In that one the Father gives everything to the son who wants to leave home. The other son stays home and works for his dad. They have family business you see.

I guess in those days, you had family business you don't tell your children go work for someone else or kick them out.

Wait. Are you "talking" about micro loans?

There are companies that offer small loans (micro) to people that cannot get a loan otherwise. Usually, people with really bad credit scores.

You set up a virtual company that claims to specialize in small personal loans (usually no more than $5,000) with a promise of no credit check and easy payments with very low interest rates. They then buy call lists of people who have attempted to get a loan but were denied. They reach out to these folks to start the process. While no credit check is made, the loaner has to pay 10% upfront and in cash. They are instructed to send the 10% via western union. After they sent the money, they are never contacted again.

Since the money lost is usually under $500.00, they just suck it up and attempts to legal action (which would cost more." Now, $500.00 does not sound like much, but if they get 10,000 people to bite, that's $5,000,000.00 in cash that disappears without a trace.

With the internet the way it is, you can setup a fake company, an office front, and make official documents with no need to identify yourself.
no just any loan.

I'm not setting up any fake company. lol

hmm. And if you were sick and needed care, or your wife died you don't want them looking after you? But you do want to be closer to them don't you.
I guess the military isn't really a job that's about having a home. I can't imagine a husband leaving his young pregnant wife when she really needs him most but then I guess thats what you sign up for.
Well, that really is not what you sign up for, but you do know that it will probably happen during your career. Ig's just part of a military family's lifestyle. The deployment during pregnancy just ends up being a luck of the draw.

am referring to prodigal son Bible story

In that one the Father gives everything to the son who wants to leave home. The other son stays home and works for his dad. They have family business you see.

I guess in those days, you had family business you don't tell your children go work for someone else or kick them out.
Yes, and he eventually came back broke and sorry (Luke 11.2).

Christians aren't meant to lend money anyway. We give cheerfully.
The borrower is servant to the lender. If someone really needed money, get them to work for you and you pay them. Or they pawn something.

Don't we ask God to forgive our debts as we forgive those who have debts against us. Or keep short accounts.
I'd be annoyed if people always asking to hit me up, what am I a bank. I'm not rich!

Anyway, I would stay away from dodgy transactions online. And fake companies. Just cos a company has a website doesn't mean its a real or registered company. I think there's an element of trust when you go online to buy something though, because you are sending money online and you haven't got the goods yet. You are trusting that the money goes through to where its meant to go, and that you'll receive the goods.

I think that trust has to be earned and you don't always know if you a first time buyer. Going to a shop is easy you see the goods, and then buy it on the spot. You can try it out in the store. Always keep receipts in case it isn't what you wanted. You have to be shopping savvy and compare prices and other hidden costs.

When internet first came ebay was very popular because it opened up the marketplace to anyone. In NZ we had trademe. But that's an auction system. You only go on it if you have the money. I've not gone to a real life auction only ones online. But I am sure people do bid when they don't actually have the funds to pay.

Christians aren't meant to lend money anyway. We give cheerfully.
The borrower is servant to the lender. If someone really needed money, get them to work for you and you pay them. Or they pawn something.

Don't we ask God to forgive our debts as we forgive those who have debts against us. Or keep short accounts.
I'd be annoyed if people always asking to hit me up, what am I a bank. I'm not rich!

Anyway, I would stay away from dodgy transactions online. And fake companies. Just cos a company has a website doesn't mean its a real or registered company. I think there's an element of trust when you go online to buy something though, because you are sending money online and you haven't got the goods yet. You are trusting that the money goes through to where its meant to go, and that you'll receive the goods.

I think that trust has to be earned and you don't always know if you a first time buyer. Going to a shop is easy you see the goods, and then buy it on the spot. You can try it out in the store. Always keep receipts in case it isn't what you wanted. You have to be shopping savvy and compare prices and other hidden costs.

When internet first came ebay was very popular because it opened up the marketplace to anyone. In NZ we had trademe. But that's an auction system. You only go on it if you have the money. I've not gone to a real life auction only ones online. But I am sure people do bid when they don't actually have the funds to pay.
Not 100% the debt we ask God to forgive is not financial, but I get it.

I love E-bay.

I am putting together a police detectives' desk from the late 1800s. Always looking for parts. Below is an Underwood typewriter and a multi-line phone from that era. I also have a camera, fingerprint kit, and stapler from the era. Still looking for the right desk, writing paper, pens, and file holders.

20240104_142048.jpg

Not 100% the debt we ask God to forgive is not financial, but I get it.

I love E-bay.

I am putting together a police detectives' desk from the late 1800s. Always looking for parts. Below is an Underwood typewriter and a multi-line phone from that era. I also have a camera, fingerprint kit, and stapler from the era. Still looking for the right desk, writing paper, pens, and file holders.

View attachment 10343

Hey rtm3039;

I love your prehistoric computer workstation. lol! I have a couple of questions. If the white or red lines light up, how do you put them on hold and dial the extension? Also, how do you know which of the 8 black or 2 blue lines are ringing?

Also, does the Underwood have a delete key?

😎 lol!!!

Hey rtm3039;

I love your prehistoric computer workstation. lol! I have a couple of questions. If the white or red lines light up, how do you put them on hold and dial the extension? Also, how do you know which of the 8 black or 2 blue lines are ringing?

Also, does the Underwood have a delete key?

😎 lol!!!

I assume they blink. And, since my detective is not the secretary, there will be no calls being forwarded.

I have that same rule in real life. If it is not a call to my direct line, I do not pick it up.

Back