The Reason the Church is Floundering....

Status
Not open for further replies.
many pastors are trained that way . the days of old time Holy Ghost conviction preaching is gradually being replaced by seminary preaching. to bad you dont live in my area i would gladly invite you.
Thank you! I’m curious if there’s even any churches talking about End Times seriously. Because we are in the end times, we should know the truth of what’s happening and how to prepare and how to armor up for spiritual warfare. That’s what I’m interested in. Meanwhile I have to go to all these forums and piecemeal information together about Revelation. Glad there is a small niche out there talking about it… You have to look for it though…I will persist because I crave the truth of GOD’S word. Amen.

i have no doubt there are churches like this. while i have no idea about any of the churches in your are are. i pastor a church i reopened after it was shut down. it is a up hill battle to get folks in. i have preached on just about every thing . one thing i dont do i kick them under the bus. i welcome all including light . but they will sit in our service embracing each other. they can sit beside each other and listen to the message like anyone else . we can preach the word but there has to be conviction . the anointing destroys the yoke .

i am not giving up , the Bible tells me no man putting his hand to the plow is fit for the kingdom of God . there will always be a remnant and i need want to be part of that . i been on forums for years .i have found you can pretend to be a super Christian . write flowered post and hid behind a computer. the moment a person disagrees boom your off the forum i would keep on searching sometimes WE including me can get to the point of critiquing the message .
I wish I had a better perspective on this topic. I grew up attending a Roman Catholic church; however, I walked away in my late teens. Since then, I occasionally went to church, but it was "event drive" (Easter, Christmas, etc). About three years ago, I found my way. I knew I did not feel a call to return to the Catholic Church and, through a clearer understanding, started attending a non-denominational church and eventually got baptized.

I volunteer, am a member of a Bible study group, and attend services every Sunday (since I am a volunteer member of the security team), I attend all three Sunday services, some times Saturday services, and special events. I just don't see the issues being discussed here. I am not saying they do not exist, just that I don't see it.

Our church is very theme oriented. For the last three weeks, the message has been about the Destruction of the Temple and Signs of the End Times. The theme was called "Back to the Future." Next week starts a new series called "Living the Good Life." There is music at the start (The Worship Team) and then the preaching starts, it always ends with a prayer to people attending for the first time and this includes an invitation to explore through what we call "The next step." Personally, I do not think they go deep enough, but we do have a new lead pastor and he is working himself into it. The important thing to me is that I see the message as a starting point that is then developed deeper through study groups. Personally, while I do belong to a small group, I learn more independently and use resources like Enduring Word commentary (which really goes deep).

So, while I do find our weekly message a little "light," it it always about Christ and positions are taken. In the past couple of weeks, messages has included divorce, adulatory, homosexuality, promiscuity, idolatry, etc. So, the message gets out, but it's done in a soft tone which appears to be how our members like it.

I have never attended one of those churches where the message is harsh and direct. To be honest with you, not sure I would want to. The message we receive are more like primers and the heavy lifting is done through small groups.

Anyway, that's my opinion and I could be wrong.

Rtm

I wish I had a better perspective on this topic. I grew up attending a Roman Catholic church; however, I walked away in my late teens. Since then, I occasionally went to church, but it was "event drive" (Easter, Christmas, etc). About three years ago, I found my way. I knew I did not feel a call to return to the Catholic Church and, through a clearer understanding, started attending a non-denominational church and eventually got baptized.

I volunteer, am a member of a Bible study group, and attend services every Sunday (since I am a volunteer member of the security team), I attend all three Sunday services, some times Saturday services, and special events. I just don't see the issues being discussed here. I am not saying they do not exist, just that I don't see it.

Our church is very theme oriented. For the last three weeks, the message has been about the Destruction of the Temple and Signs of the End Times. The theme was called "Back to the Future." Next week starts a new series called "Living the Good Life." There is music at the start (The Worship Team) and then the preaching starts, it always ends with a prayer to people attending for the first time and this includes an invitation to explore through what we call "The next step." Personally, I do not think they go deep enough, but we do have a new lead pastor and he is working himself into it. The important thing to me is that I see the message as a starting point that is then developed deeper through study groups. Personally, while I do belong to a small group, I learn more independently and use resources like Enduring Word commentary (which really goes deep).

So, while I do find our weekly message a little "light," it it always about Christ and positions are taken. In the past couple of weeks, messages has included divorce, adulatory, homosexuality, promiscuity, idolatry, etc. So, the message gets out, but it's done in a soft tone which appears to be how our members like it.

I have never attended one of those churches where the message is harsh and direct. To be honest with you, not sure I would want to. The message we receive are more like primers and the heavy lifting is done through small groups.

Rtm
that’s a really good perspective.. I appreciate you sharing.

I am thirsty for God’s word. Straight with no chaser! Until I can find a church doing that that isn’t motivated by wealth or obtaining a lot of people… 🤷🏻‍♀ I’m grateful for fellowship online which has gotten me started. I went to a Christian church last week and while it was “nice “and the music certainly was good… I left feeling like it was Christian junk food. And that’s fine for some but it’s definitely not for me or what I’m looking for right now.
I went to a couple of churches, at first, and settled into the one I have been attending for about three years. Once you find a home, volunteer. I found that volunteers is like a family within a family. My church is really large, so most people attend the weekly service and that's it for the week. When you volunteer and join a small group, that tends to add value to the whole experience. I also believe, as I have already commented on, that independent study also helps a great deal.

rtm

I went to a couple of churches, at first, and settled into the one I have been attending for about three years. Once you find a home, volunteer. I found that volunteers is like a family within a family. My church is really large, so most people attend the weekly service and that's it for the week. When you volunteer and join a small group, that tends to add value to the whole experience. I also believe, as I have already commented on, that independent study also helps a great deal.

rtm
Thank you! That is exactly my intention. Find a church to make my home where I can volunteer. There’s another on my list I’m going to check out next week.

Thank you! I’m curious if there’s even any churches talking about End Times seriously. Because we are in the end times, we should know the truth of what’s happening and how to prepare and how to armor up for spiritual warfare. That’s what I’m interested in. Meanwhile I have to go to all these forums and piecemeal information together about Revelation. Glad there is a small niche out there talking about it… You have to look for it though…I will persist because I crave the truth of GOD’S word. Amen.
Funny you should say that, as we just finished a series on Matthew 24. Personally, I do not believe we are nearing the end, but we are closer than we were yesterday. One spoiler - you should already be prepared as no one on earth actually knows when the time will be.

3 As Jesus was sitting on the Mount of Olives, the disciples came to him privately. “Tell us,” they said, “when will this happen, and what will be the sign of your coming and of the end of the age?”

4 Jesus answered: “Watch out that no one deceives you. 5 For many will come in my name, claiming, ‘I am the Messiah,’ and will deceive many. 6 You will hear of wars and rumors of wars, but see to it that you are not alarmed. Such things must happen, but the end is still to come. 7 Nation will rise against nation, and kingdom against kingdom. There will be famines and earthquakes in various places. 8 All these are the beginning of birth pains. (Matt 24: 3 - 8, NIV).

Funny you should say that, as we just finished a series on Matthew 24. Personally, I do not believe we are nearing the end, but we are closer than we were yesterday. One spoiler - you should already be prepared as no one on earth actually knows when the time will be.

3 As Jesus was sitting on the Mount of Olives, the disciples came to him privately. “Tell us,” they said, “when will this happen, and what will be the sign of your coming and of the end of the age?”

4 Jesus answered: “Watch out that no one deceives you. 5 For many will come in my name, claiming, ‘I am the Messiah,’ and will deceive many. 6 You will hear of wars and rumors of wars, but see to it that you are not alarmed. Such things must happen, but the end is still to come. 7 Nation will rise against nation, and kingdom against kingdom. There will be famines and earthquakes in various places. 8 All these are the beginning of birth pains. (Matt 24: 3 - 8, NIV).
‘One spoiler - you should already be prepared as no one on earth actually knows when the time will be.’
I was saved on May 8, 2021 so I have a lot of catching up to do as you can tell. Working on the full suit of armor every day to get prepped. Thank you.

i have attended a couple where there harsh .in my early years was accused of being blunt .i did youth ministry had a wild bunch . i even had break up 2 gals fighting lol .i want to say there is nothing wrong with theme oriented as long as God is in it. when i say holy ghost conviction the message is scripture based . where black is black white is white Jesus saves. speaking the truth in Love. the word of GOD IS SHARPER THAN A TWO EDGED SWORD . there should be nothing personal in a message . a old time preacher man use to say preaching is like eating chicken eat the meat and throw the bones away .. i dont buy all churches are liberal and dont preach Jesus Christ and him crucified . myself i dont care for a church where they play better rock music than ac dc

I don't belong to a church any mire
It is a very long time since I have attended any service. It is nit for lack of trying to find one but I am not even looking now. I miss it though.
I don"t like the way church has gone but am very happy to read that you have all found churches that are still on the right track.

what direction has it gone? are you surprised ? we been foretold about things that take place.

No I'm not surprised. Just Very sad and disappointed.
The churches seem to have forgotten their first love. Some hardly ever mention The Son of God.
They are missing out on many things. I used to come home and feel frustrated. I don't want to go into many details, because who an I to criticise?
Some things are ignored and not deprived, even adultery. I would rather be on this forum.

i have no doubt there are churches like this. while i have no idea about any of the churches in your are are. i pastor a church i reopened after it was shut down. it is a up hill battle to get folks in. i have preached on just about every thing . one thing i dont do i kick them under the bus. i welcome all including light . but they will sit in our service embracing each other. they can sit beside each other and listen to the message like anyone else . we can preach the word but there has to be conviction . the anointing destroys the yoke .
i am not giving up ,
the Bible tells me no man putting his hand to the plow is fit for the kingdom of God . there will always be a remnant and i need want to be part of that .

I am thirsty for God’s word. Straight with no chaser! Until I can find a church doing that that isn’t motivated by wealth or obtaining a lot of people… 🤷🏻‍♀ I’m grateful for fellowship online which has gotten me started. I went to a Christian church last week and while it was “nice “and the music certainly was good… I left feeling like it was Christian junk food. And that’s fine for some but it’s definitely not for me or what I’m looking for right now.
many pastors are trained that way . the days of old time Holy Ghost conviction preaching is gradually being replaced by seminary preaching. to bad you dont live in my area i would gladly invite you.

These are important statements in your posts;

"I don"t like the way church has gone." - Cosia

"The churches seem to have forgotten their first love. Some hardly ever mention The Son of God." - Cosia

"I went to a Christian church last week and while it was “nice “and the music certainly was good… I left feeling like it was Christian junk food." - Gold Heart

I feel many in the body of Christ share the same sentiment but forgiven61 shares, "we been foretold about things that take place."
In Daniel 12:4, II Thessalonians 2:1-12, II Timothy 4:1-4, Matthew 24 and more...I agree, the church, struggling to sustain a whole, is not giving heed to the Word or listening!

Pastor, I love how you shared "your remnant" that continues to sustain God's church just by your testimony of the church you are shepherding which gives me hope.

I don't believe we Christians are bash cursing the church, but merely sharing our honest frustration. Today, during our worship service my heart was on this thread, The Reason the Church is Floundering and I made the statement during the message in Matthew 5:1-16;

"Don't make God 'part time,' instead, lets give God our 'full time' as the trait we can add to
the Beatitudes that Jesus preached about in His sermon on the Mount.

God bless you all and your families.

I don't believe we Christians are bash cursing the church, but merely sharing our honest frustration. Today, during our worship service my heart was on this thread, The Reason the Church is Floundering and I made the statement during the message in Matthew 5:1-16;

"Don't make God 'part time,' instead, lets give God our 'full time' as the trait we can add to
the Beatitudes that Jesus preached about in His sermon on the Mount.
agreed

It does seem like Christian junk food is served at some churches. I've certainly had several helpings in the past. What is worse is when this is the only diet a Christian has during the entire week.

i have attended a couple where there harsh .in my early years was accused of being blunt .i did youth ministry had a wild bunch . i even had break up 2 gals fighting lol .i want to say there is nothing wrong with theme oriented as long as God is in it. when i say holy ghost conviction the message is scripture based . where black is black white is white Jesus saves. speaking the truth in Love. the word of GOD IS SHARPER THAN A TWO EDGED SWORD . there should be nothing personal in a message . a old time preacher man use to say preaching is like eating chicken eat the meat and throw the bones away .. i dont buy all churches are liberal and dont preach Jesus Christ and him crucified . myself i dont care for a church where they play better rock music than ac dc
Ok, there is no better rock than AC DC.

Our Worship Team is not consistent in its members and they kind of take turns. There are a couple that are really impressive. There is this girl that does not do it often, but when she does, she does From Grace to Grace and it is the best version I have ever heard. It is quite a production.

stage.jpg

Rtm

Sometimes I wonder if the Church is better off by getting back to basics...

Acts 2:42 (NASB) They were continually devoting themselves to the apostles' teaching and to fellowship, to the breaking of bread and to prayer.

Acts 2:42 (NASB) They were continually devoting themselves to the apostles' teaching and to fellowship, to the breaking of bread and to prayer.
Not sure turning back is ever possible. Maybe for a small church, but not for a church with so many people of various ages. Our youth ministry is pretty large and I do not think going back to the basics will work for them, as this is their basic.

Rtm

Not sure turning back is ever possible. Maybe for a small church, but not for a church with so many people of various ages. Our youth ministry is pretty large and I do not think going back to the basics will work for them, as this is their basic.

Rtm
you can still have the new and use the old style also. one error is dumping the hymns they are historical and wrote out of hard times . i am not a big fan of it is well with my soul but the story behind it how a man family was wiped out. amazing grace very powerful . imo when we take either completely away. creates division . i am semi old school but see the need for the new also

back to the basics yes the preaching of the word . lets face it the old time holy ghost conviction preaching heaven to gain hell to shun along with a know so salvation . not this junk Muslim belief buddha etc mixed and being born again. . i am a blood bough child of the king.

Maybe for a small church,
my church is small in number i can hold a hundred if need. i ask that you folks pray for Fairview general Baptist church. there all lots of churches in our area that has small numbers sad thing is i fear many will never return . the Devil has used this virus as a tool to keep folks away from Church

Rtm
What part of the basics won't work for them? Teaching? Prayers? Lord's Supper? Fellowship.?
Maybe if it's because they are too big, then maybe they are too big.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back