Views on discipline/spanking?

I don't recall God beating up or spanking Adam and Eve. He just punished them with a curse - hard work tilling the ground for Adam, and labour in childbirth for Eve.

Jesus was flogged 39 times and he was innocent. If they'd given him 40 lashes, he might have died from massive bleeding.

When children lose library books, I don't spank them. I tell them they can work for me to pay it off, as I don't want them to ask their parents for money, assuming they will pay for something that wasn't their responsibility. If their parents don't have the money, they might spank or beat up their children. I don't agree with that.

This is a perfect example of working with the child to resolve a conflict instead of just spanking him out of frustration for not eating what she fixed him and sending him to bed. Spanking is not necessary. (y)

I don't believe in spanking, and I don't spank my kids. I was not spanked as a child either. Spanking is not necessary for discipline. (y)
My dad us to take a belt to us. I guess he aimed for our rear ends, but we would move, and he would miss the target. Did not happen often, but it left some serious welts. I never hit my kids either, but I did torture them. When they were old enough to know better, I would make them sit in a chair. They had to write down what they did wrong, why they did it, and what their punishment should be. That drove them crazy.

“cook something else”

I went through so many smilies throughout this.

And it’s real cute that he has his own mind.

But imagine when they’re 15 and demanding they get dolce and gabbana shoes and the latest iPhone for Christmas when your short on cash?
LOL! That was too funny! And the key word is "cook". He wanted some cooked food. 🤣

When I was growing up, my dad would buy us baloons on sticks when we went to a fair. Later, he would use those baloon sticks as switches to apply to out backsides when we misbehaved. Lots of sting. little actual damage. But I mainly learned not to want baloons. I think the flat of his hand would have suddiced.

Physical punishment needs to be done only with with thought, never fueled by the anger of the reproover. The parent does not take their frustration/anger on the child.

The very young are often straightened by showing displeasuer (they crave the approval of their parents). But there are times one needs to get their attention, and a spanking can be just the thing. As the child grows, other means of discipline should take the fore-front, such as giving distasteful chores or withholding priviledges. This should also be balanced by acknowledgement of improvement and corrected behavior.

Physicaly striking a young adult often produces the very wrong result.

Time outs have been a thing for awhile. Seems its part of the "it takes a village" idea for the government to interfere with parents. Psycho bable we ignored. We spanked our 4 boys when needed and none of them have become mentally unstable.

My mother used to shake me if I did something wrong when I was a small child. When I got bigger she used a strap on me, so I pushed it down the outside drain. I was the naughty one.
Shaking sounds scary but I'm assuming your motor skills were well enough developed not to suffer neck damage and
I'm betting getting rid of the strap didn't solve anything lol.

He who spares his rod hates his son, but he who loves him chastens him early. (Pro 13:24)

Seems clear to me.
yes, and what about Deut 21?

“If a man has a stubborn and rebellious son who will not obey the voice of his father or the voice of his mother, and, though they discipline him, will not listen to them, then his father and his mother shall take hold of him and bring him out to the elders of his city at the gate of the place where he lives, and they shall say to the elders of his city, ‘This our son is stubborn and rebellious; he will not obey our voice; he is a glutton and a drunkard.’ Then all the men of the city shall stone him to death with stones. So you shall purge the evil from your midst, and all Israel shall hear, and fear.

are we to obey to this this verse too?

are we to obey to this this verse too?
Pro 13:24 isn’t a command, just a wise piece of advice and more merciful than the Deut 21 passage which will be fulfilled in the White Throne Judgment.
…or was fulfilled at Calvary. (He who knew no sin became sin for us. etc.)

Last edited:
My mother was probably frustrated. I never did anything wicked but I was a bit of a tomboy. She was a good mother and we were very close as I got older.

When I chastised my children I explained to them what they had done was wrong and why, if they did it again I would not let them watch their favourite TV programme. It seemed to work.

He who spares his rod hates his son, but he who loves him chastens him early. (Pro 13:24)

Seems clear to me.

Then there's also this verse. :)
Ephesians 6:4
And, ye fathers, provoke not your children to wrath: but bring them up in the nurture and admonition of the Lord.

admonition

ăd″mə-nĭsh′ən

noun​

1. Mild, kind, yet earnest reproof.
  2. Cautionary advice or warning.
  3. The act, or an act, of admonishing; counsel or advice; gentle reproof; instruction in duties; caution; direction.

Then there's also this verse. :)
Ephesians 6:4
And, ye fathers, provoke not your children to wrath: but bring them up in the nurture and admonition of the Lord.

admonition

ăd″mə-nĭsh′ən

noun​

1. Mild, kind, yet earnest reproof.
  2. Cautionary advice or warning.
  3. The act, or an act, of admonishing; counsel or advice; gentle reproof; instruction in duties; caution; direction.
I suppose we could go on ad infinitum…

Chasten thy son while there is hope, and let not thy soul spare for his crying. Pro 19:18

Foolishness is bound in the heart of a child; but the rod of correction shall drive it far from him. Pro 22:15

Withhold not correction from the child: for if thou beatest him with the rod, he shall not die.
Thou shalt beat him with the rod, and shalt deliver his soul from hell. Pro 23:13-14

The rod and reproof give wisdom: but a child left to himself bringeth his mother to shame. Pro 29:15

Correct thy son, and he shall give thee rest; yea, he shall give delight unto thy soul. Pro 29:17

So how would you reconcile your interpretation of Eph 6:4 with the verses I gave?

Back