Views on discipline/spanking?

rod doesn't mean beat them up
Rod is like a pointer/measuring stick that guides the way. Children need to listen to their parents VOICE.

In the bible passage, the rebellious son didn't listen to his parents. The parents did not personally beat him up. They said they would sent him to be stoned by the men. That was enough of a threat to get their child to behave. I'm sure that for the most part, that did not happen.

Have you ever read any passage in the Bible where that actually happened? NO? well I rest my case.

The only time someone was stoned in the Bible was David stoning Goliath or people stoning Stephen for believing in Jesus.

I made my kids watch CNN for an hour and then ask them questions about the stories. They were very well behaved for a few days. Then it would start up again. It was my most effective punishment. 1 time they started arguing while they were watching, I told them I would extend it to 2 hours if they didn't quit, the silence was wonderful.

Rod is like a pointer/measuring stick that guides the way. Children need to listen to their parents VOICE.

In the bible passage, the rebellious son didn't listen to his parents. The parents did not personally beat him up. They said they would sent him to be stoned by the men. That was enough of a threat to get their child to behave. I'm sure that for the most part, that did not happen.

Have you ever read any passage in the Bible where that actually happened? NO? well I rest my case.

The only time someone was stoned in the Bible was David stoning Goliath or people stoning Stephen for believing in Jesus.
My dad used to beat us up pretty good with his belt. It really did not make s change our conduct, just made us be more careful to avoid getting caught.

XRay

Well said, I agree! 🤗

I don't believe hitting a child teaches them right from wrong. Rather, it would appear to hardwire them for both giving and receiving physical abuse for wrong doing in future.

Non-physical punishment, talking with the child so they understand what they did wrong, allows for the child to recognize right from wrong.

We don't obey the laws of the OT today. Some even argue vehemently against them.

Today we put our daughters rapist in prison. We don't marry her to him after he pays us 40 pieces of silver. (10 more pieces than the Sanhedrin paid Judas for betraying Christ).

We don't stone our wives or husband to death for adultery. Etc...

We don't beat our puppy for doing wrong. That's considered,rightly so, animal abuse. We certainly cannot consolidate beating our child for the same reason thinking that isn't child abuse.

Parochial schools are known to beat students. I can tell you,that abuse doesn't engender love and appreciation for the abuser.

If you can't teach a child in the way they should go by guidance or example, and instead think physical abuse is the only way, reconsider having kids.

Wisdom takes patience. Violence is temper.

Think more of your child than beating them to show them how wrong something far less offensive is wrong.

Wisdom takes patience. Violence is temper.

Think more of your child than beating them to show them how wrong something far less offensive is wrong.
Agreed, beating your child would be violent, but using the rod wisely would be wise.

Proverbs 29:15 (KJV) The rod and reproof give wisdom: but a child left to himself bringeth his mother to shame.

Not all children respond the same.

A young man I know had a poor foundation of discipline of any kind.

His parents both worked and spent little quality time with him. They also had marital problems, and are now separated. The mother does not appear to want anything to do with him (she had children by a previous marriage and does not want to be a mother anymore).

Grandparents (fathers side) were very indulgent and allowed the boy to disrespect them. I remember visiting with them and the boy was so upset that grandma was talking to us and not playing with him that he came up and gave her a vicious (hard) pinch on her arm and screamed at her.

He had perpetual problems with school attendance.

He was expelled from public school and placed in a private school run by the Mennonite church. That didn't last long, and he is currently being privately tutored at his grandparent's house (which they can scarcely afford).

One can see that while his discipline problems (his lack of self discipline) stem from failures of the adults to properly care for him and instill self discipline in stages as he grew.

But he has gotten increasingly disrespectful, yelling at his grandparents and demanding their undivided attention.

All this is not his fault alone, but he will have to deal with it at some time.

He, at least, will need some kind of physical restraint to get him under control since if he doesn't like what is happening he runs off into the woods.

It is much better to have a child grow up being required to show respect and self discipline (to the extent appropriate for their age and development). It is much herder to recover when the behavior is set in.

If a spanking were administered (out of calm concern, not taking frustration out on him) when needed as he developed, much grief would have been spared for all including him.

Agreed, beating your child would be violent, but using the rod wisely would be wise.

Proverbs 29:15 (KJV) The rod and reproof give wisdom: but a child left to himself bringeth his mother to shame.
I disagree.
Reproof gives wisdom.
There is no wisdom behind a rod striking a child.

In fact wisdom arrives at that understanding. Child abuse with a rod brings shame. And CPS, if necessary.

If I have to beat someone into understanding, there is no understanding that arrives first as knowing that must not be necessary.

I don't believe hitting a child teaches them right from wrong. Rather, it would appear to hardwire them for both giving and receiving physical abuse for wrong doing in future. Non-physical punishment, talking with the child so they understand what they did wrong, allows for the child to recognize right from wrong.
This wouldn’t seem to make much sense…Proverbs 22:15 KJV Foolishness is bound in the heart of a child; but the rod of correction [rather, talking to the child] shall drive it far from him.
Not all children respond the same. If a spanking were administered (out of calm concern, not taking frustration out on him) when needed as he developed, much grief would have been spared for all including him.

Hello Damascus, crossnote and Siloam;

You all have experience raising your children and nobody knows your children better than you. Siloam also makes a good point that not all children respond the same.

What we're talking about are various views on discipline OR spanking. When hitting a child while growing up becomes a way of disciplining them in your home, it can impact the foundation of your child and family.

In Proverbs 22:15a, Folly is bound up in the heart of a child, - folly, mischievousness behavior to downright meanness comes in many flavors in children. Not all children come from the same cookie cutter (sorry for wrong choice of word)

In Proverbs 22:15b, but the rod of discipline drives it far from him. - the rod of discipline comes in many forms of correction, training, counseling or consequences for misbehavior.

God gave parents children and they are the treasures in their marriage. God also entrusted parents the responsibility of being good stewards in rearing their children. There must be wisdom and knowing right from wrong taught consciously to sons and daughters.

My nephews and niece were raised in our home when the boys were 2, 3 and when our niece was born. Today they are 19, 16 and 5. I never laid a hand on them but at times I did get angry with them. But I also learned that children don't hear when I raise my voice but when I speak the same words in a calm firm tone, they hear me.

They still make mistakes as young men and 5 year old will make, but in a Christian home foundation they feel loved, safe, secure and can think clearly learning common sense.

God bless you all and in the raising of your children.

On the word 'rod' (sebet)...

(CWSB Dictionary) H7626. שֵׁבֶט šēḇeṭ: A masculine noun meaning a rod, a scepter, and a tribe. It is presented in parallel with the word maṭṭeh (H4294) that designates a rod or a tribe (Isa. 10:15). As a rod, it represents a common tool used as a shepherd’s staff (Lev. 27:32; Ezek. 20:37); a crude weapon (2 Sam. 23:21); or for beating out cumin (Isa. 28:27). It also refers to the shaft of a spear (2 Sam. 18:14). The rod was also used in meting out discipline, both literally for a slave (Ex. 21:20); a fool (Prov. 10:13; 26:3); and a son (Prov. 13:24; 22:15; 29:15); and figuratively of God against Solomon (2 Sam. 7:14); of God against Israel through Assyria (Isa. 10:24); against Philistia (Isa. 14:29); and of God against Assyria (Isa. 30:31). Because of the association between smiting and ruling, the rod became a symbol of the authority of the one bearing it; thus, this word can also mean a scepter (Gen. 49:10; Judg. 5:14; Isa. 14:5). Also, the connotation of tribe is based on the connection between this term and the concept of rulership. It can connote the tribes of Israel collectively (Gen. 49:16; Deut. 33:5); or individually (Josh. 7:16; Judg. 18:1). It can also represent a portion of one of the tribes (Num. 4:18; Judg. 20:12; 1 Sam. 9:21). Eventually, the term was used in the singular to denote Israel as a whole (Ps. 74:2; Jer. 10:16; 51:19). It is also interesting to note that this word was never used in reference to the tribes of other nations.

On the word 'rod' (sebet)...

(CWSB Dictionary) H7626. שֵׁבֶט šēḇeṭ: A masculine noun meaning a rod, a scepter, and a tribe. It is presented in parallel with the word maṭṭeh (H4294) that designates a rod or a tribe (Isa. 10:15). As a rod, it represents a common tool used as a shepherd’s staff (Lev. 27:32; Ezek. 20:37); a crude weapon (2 Sam. 23:21); or for beating out cumin (Isa. 28:27). It also refers to the shaft of a spear (2 Sam. 18:14). The rod was also used in meting out discipline, both literally for a slave (Ex. 21:20); a fool (Prov. 10:13; 26:3); and a son (Prov. 13:24; 22:15; 29:15); and figuratively of God against Solomon (2 Sam. 7:14); of God against Israel through Assyria (Isa. 10:24); against Philistia (Isa. 14:29); and of God against Assyria (Isa. 30:31). Because of the association between smiting and ruling, the rod became a symbol of the authority of the one bearing it; thus, this word can also mean a scepter (Gen. 49:10; Judg. 5:14; Isa. 14:5). Also, the connotation of tribe is based on the connection between this term and the concept of rulership. It can connote the tribes of Israel collectively (Gen. 49:16; Deut. 33:5); or individually (Josh. 7:16; Judg. 18:1). It can also represent a portion of one of the tribes (Num. 4:18; Judg. 20:12; 1 Sam. 9:21). Eventually, the term was used in the singular to denote Israel as a whole (Ps. 74:2; Jer. 10:16; 51:19). It is also interesting to note that this word was never used in reference to the tribes of other nations.
''A weapon... ''

Please show me where Jesus beats his sheep with an iron rod....
I would imagine the rod is used on goats and goat-like behaviour, not on sheep; that's what this verse is referring to...

Proverbs 22:15 (KJV) Foolishness is bound in the heart of a child; but the rod of correction shall drive it far from him.

Jesus was flogged 39 times....I thought was a whip though not a rod. They say its 39 because 40 is enough to kill a man.

Back