Views on discipline/spanking?

My sister told the wife once that our kids were well behaved. The wife told her that they didnt have a choice. A parent that spanks doesnt have to do it often at least in our case. Knowing that we would was a good deterrent to bad behavior.
I don't recall ever spanking our kids. Have no issues with it, they just never did anything worth spanking them for. The youngest boy was force to be reconned with. Very strong will, which I just had to break with an ever stronger will.

4th grade i screamed at a teacher after being told take care my pants zipper . i ignored her the 3 rd time i screamed at her I AM ekkkkkk she grabbed me took me in the class room i saw Jesus there are ways to spank not hurt them as in injury and a person dont have to go overboard with a whipping every time .

There are some other aspects of the US Social Security system not understood outside the US.

For instance, the system collects its money from both the employees and the employers so it is not primarily a government handout but intended to be a self funded plan.
For the average employee, they see a deduction in every pay stub and their employer make a matching payment every fiscal quarter by law.

The funds collected are put into trust and the only purposes for which these trust funds can be used are to pay benefits and program administrative costs.
trust me we dont either over they years our government has dipped in to ot

trust me we dont either over they years our government has dipped in to ot
Dear forgiven61, good point, Social Security is not well understood even here in the US.

Many don’t understand that SS is, at best, a supplement to retirement and not a complete answer.

We have met people and have a few friends who assumed SS would completely fund their retirements only to find that at retirement they are receiving barely enough for rent, with little to nothing left over for food or medicine.

I have one friend who tells me he will never be able to afford to retire. :(

Dear forgiven61, good point, Social Security is not well understood even here in the US.

Many don’t understand that SS is, at best, a supplement to retirement and not a complete answer.

We have met people and have a few friends who assumed SS would completely fund their retirements only to find that at retirement they are receiving barely enough for rent, with little to nothing left over for food or medicine.

I have one friend who tells me he will never be able to afford to retire. :(
Agreed. I know people like that as well. Spending what they make with no thought of the future. Ive tried to tell the kids to invest a bit of their earnings each payday even if its a small amount. Social security isnt enough to live on.

There are some naughty children in my school, we have a procedure where we give them a red card.

That means we have to isolate them for a while. This is to stop them from hurting others. Then we have a chat with them and ask whats going on. Then steps are taken to remedy things. It might involve removing priveliges or banning that person from activities.

What tends to happen is because one child is naughty, all the other children lose out on all the good stuff because some head teachers think just cos one can't behave, they have to dumb everything down so they can stay in class.

4o1k would be at good number it bounces up down like a yoyo
I understand. It is stressful to watch the bounces.

I have another friend who has a military retirement, a city pension, social security and a small annuity his deceased wife left him.

He lives modestly in a mobile home he owns on a rented lot. He still must clerk 3 days a week at a market to make ends meet.

Of course this is a very expensive area to live in and he could move to North Dakota, but he doesn’t want to move because this is where his friends and family are. 😕

Edit: I should add, he’s not complaining, he is happy in Christ, I am complaining for him and the injustice of it all.

i have roughly 3 1/2 or roughly 5 1/2 either at 65 try find part time job or wait till full age .i was in hopes my 4o1k would be at good number it bounces up down like a yoyo Biden economics stinks .
I guess all you can do is wait and see. The wife is seven years younger, so she will continue working. We also plan on relocating to Memphis, TN, which has a cost of living of around 33% less than Miami, FL.

he is happy in Christ,
we alike to complain to some degree i am in rual mo cost is living is fair you might have to scratch with the Chickens .. then sometimes kick the chickens out of your spot :eek: you can survive around here but the times we live in are very trying i would like to see the democrats and the republican's both have to live on a budget . our political system has no clue about the working people who pay their salary

I understand. It is stressful to watch the bounces.

I have another friend who has a military retirement, a city pension, social security and a small annuity his deceased wife left him.

He lives modestly in a mobile home he owns on a rented lot. He still must clerk 3 days a week at a market to make ends meet.

Of course this is a very expensive area to live in and he could move to North Dakota, but he doesn’t want to move because this is where his friends and family are. 😕

Edit: I should add, he’s not complaining, he is happy in Christ, I am complaining for him and the injustice of it all.
Hm. That does not would good. I too will rely on a military pension, a retirement from the county, and my social security. Gulp.

Hm. That does not would good. I too will rely on a military pension, a retirement from the county, and my social security. Gulp.
:) I think your situation is better, two of you for starters and probably much higher aggregate retirement income. AND, you have a plan.

Plus, rent, groceries, fuel prices etc. are some of the highest in the country around here due to all the 6 figure incomes from tens of thousands of tech workers at Amazon, Microsoft, Starbucks and others who are all headquartered here. The only advantage we have is no state income tax.

Not hardly. Although liberals try and equate it to welfare, SSI is taken from the worker every paycheck. Do some checking. A person works 40 years would have to live to be over 100 years old to recoup what he puts in. Problem is the government hands it out like its nothing and then cries thats its all gone. They have been taking it for years to fund their give away programs for those who wont work.
Thanks.
I know what SS is.My handouts observation pertains to what you observed regarding our getting back any of the monies we've put into FICA over the many years of our employment history.

Imagine how we'd live if those monies had been a social security savings program that accrued interest for decades.

Not only do we not receive a fair return after retirement but when we can't meet expenses and go back to work, FICA remains a deduction.
And if we work too many hours our benefits are cut.

I know SS isn't welfare or a handout program.
The government acts as if it is when they use our money to sustain illegals and others.

My experience is different: The spanking turned into physical abuse. One day, my Dad was spanking me and then the next, he was punching me in the face and leaving a bloody mess because I wouldn't eat a salad.

So, in my own experience, I won't do it. I also have prayed hard that the generational curse of abuse ends with me. I think there's a reason I don't have children and I'm 33.

My experience is different: The spanking turned into physical abuse. One day, my Dad was spanking me and then the next, he was punching me in the face and leaving a bloody mess because I wouldn't eat a salad.

So, in my own experience, I won't do it. I also have prayed hard that the generational curse of abuse ends with me. I think there's a reason I don't have children and I'm 33.
That is not correction. That is venting rage, which is NOT a productive parenting technique.

A spanking is not about inflicting pain. It is about impressing upon the young the importance of correct behavior.

I do note though that despite the varying details of parenting styles, most young grow to reasonably good members of society. This may be a measure of resiliancy God has invested in all of us more than an indorcement of parenting techniques.

The ones that so not do well with whatever techniques their care-givers use can have very hard or sad lives.

My experience is different: The spanking turned into physical abuse. One day, my Dad was spanking me and then the next, he was punching me in the face and leaving a bloody mess because I wouldn't eat a salad. So, in my own experience, I won't do it. I also have prayed hard that the generational curse of abuse ends with me. I think there's a reason I don't have children and I'm 33.

That is not correction. That is venting rage, which is NOT a productive parenting technique. A spanking is not about inflicting pain. It is about impressing upon the young the importance of correct behavior. I do note though that despite the varying details of parenting styles, most young grow to reasonably good members of society. This may be a measure of resiliancy God has invested in all of us more than an indorcement of parenting techniques. The ones that so not do well with whatever techniques their care-givers use can have very hard or sad lives.
Hello Shineyourlight8;

It's good to see you again. We missed you. 😇

What you shared is tough. I agree with
Siloam and believe that your faith in Christ filled you with a spirit of resilience to where you are today. Resilience has a connection to forgiveness.

For children whose parents abused them physically or mentally demand justice because of the wrong that carried a negative impact growing up. But as we grow into adulthood we can let go and release that to the Judge. We don’t have to carry the burden of judge and avenger.

God's flocks are scattered when leaders fail them. But God sees everything, and keeps His promise as our Shepherd and Judge.

Proverbs 28:13, 13 Whoever conceals his transgressions will not prosper, but he who confesses and forsakes them will obtain mercy.

Ezekiel 34:15, But the person who does anything with a high hand, whether he is native or a sojourner, reviles the Lord, and that person shall be cut off from among his people.

So as hard as this is to say and do, I hope some of us who were victims of parental abuse have forgiven our Dads and Moms, wherever they are today.

In ministry I learned how some men and women, both believers and unbelievers as they get older, have regrets of parenting abuse that catch up with them along with life. They confess that they truly love their children, they just don't know how to fix the damage they caused.

God bless
us all and our families.

Back