Votes: 0 0.0%
  • James, Brother of Jesus

• Mary Magdalene

• Mary, the Mother of Jesus

• Total voters
It can not be Judas and Cain. Death sealed their choices in life.

But What if it is two Jewish Rabbis who are alive right now, living in Israel and because they know the Scriptures inside and out, WHEN they observe the Rapture they understand what has happened and they turn to Christ and become saved. Since they have missed the Rapture they begin their ministry of preaching from the Temple which begins the world wide revival.
It's possible. Ooh maybe it could be one Jew and a gentile. Just a guess.

@Major they're there on God's behalf, not the gov of Israel. They'll kill anyone with fire who tries to stop them. In Christ both the Jew and Gentile are one new man, Eph 2:15-17.

Major - I am not arguing re-incarnation with respect to this thread but Christ in scripture indicates that Elijah would come again as already predicted in the OT.

Mat_17:11
And Jesus answered and said unto them, Elias truly shall first come, and restore all things.
Mat_17:12
But I say unto you, That Elias is come already, and they knew him not, but have done unto him whatsoever they listed. Likewise shall also the Son of man suffer of them.

Mar_9:4
And there appeared unto them Elias with Moses: and they were talking with Jesus.
Mar_9:5
And Peter answered and said to Jesus, Master, it is good for us to be here: and let us make three tabernacles; one for thee, and one for Moses, and one for Elias.
Mar_9:11
And they asked him, saying, Why say the scribes that Elias must first come?
Mar_9:12
And he answered and told them, Elias verily cometh first, and restoreth all things; and how it is written of the Son of man, that he must suffer many things, and be set at nought.
Mar_9:13
But I say unto you, That Elias is indeed come, and they have done unto him whatsoever they listed, as it is written of him.

Jesus says in scripture that Elijah came as John the Baptist. I'm not making it up. I think if OT prophets are used as the witnesses, it would be pretty powerful and it would be a sign that they are from God and no one else. But I have not thrown the idea that it could be 2 total unknowns. The truth is we don't know. Is there harm in speculating? I, too like the idea of Jew and Christian. Does that open the way for one witness to be one of the disciples/apostles?

I agree with Abdicate that both the witnesses, antichrist and false prophet will be real people - not symbols. Scripture says we are not to follow icons and what else are symbols?

I gotta say I still kinda like Enoch and Elijah because they were "raptured"/translated to Heaven without dying a mortal death. But Christ, Himself experienced mortal death. I'd love to hear people's cases for who might be the witnesses is all.

My thoughts are that IF the Two Witnesses are OT saints, it has to be Elijah and Enoch because they're the only ones not to have died, and it's appointed once for men to die and they are dead for 3.5 days...

My thoughts are that IF the Two Witnesses are OT saints, it has to be Elijah and Enoch because they're the only ones not to have died, and it's appointed once for men to die and they are dead for 3.5 days...

That was my thinking when I started the thread. But both Elijah and Christ raised the dead. So special cases have a dispensation?

And if you count what Christ said at the transfiguration...that Elijah had come in the form of John the Baptist - then he did experience death:

Mat 17:12 But I say unto you, That Elias is come already, and they knew him not, but have done unto him whatsoever they listed. Likewise shall also the Son of man suffer of them.
Mat 17:13 Then the disciples understood that he spake unto them of John the Baptist.

@Major they're there on God's behalf, not the gov of Israel. They'll kill anyone with fire who tries to stop them. In Christ both the Jew and Gentile are one new man, Eph 2:15-17.

You are correct! My thinking was that where else would a Jew go to preach than to the Temple. I say that because it seems to me that the revival of the last days will be centered in and around Israel and will be focused on the Jews.

While that is true, we will have a real problem if all the Raptured saints have to come back and die. If that is the case....why the Rapture to begin with?????

I believe the Two Witnesses will be regular men who come in the POWER of Elijah and Moses.

Speaking of John the Baptist, we find this in Luke 1:17........
"and he will go before him in the spirit and power of Elijah, to turn the hearts of the fathers to the children, and the disobedient to the wisdom of the just, to make ready for the Lord a people prepared.”

IMO this seems to be saying that Malachi 4:5 does not mean that LITERALLY Elijah will come back before the Tribulationbut someone who will have the kind of power that he had.

All the prophets had the power as given by God...of their own accord. Why would scripture specify Elijah if it didn't mean Elijah?

Major - I am not arguing re-incarnation with respect to this thread but Christ in scripture indicates that Elijah would come again as already predicted in the OT.

Mat_17:11
And Jesus answered and said unto them, Elias truly shall first come, and restore all things.
Mat_17:12
But I say unto you, That Elias is come already, and they knew him not, but have done unto him whatsoever they listed. Likewise shall also the Son of man suffer of them.

Mar_9:4
And there appeared unto them Elias with Moses: and they were talking with Jesus.
Mar_9:5
And Peter answered and said to Jesus, Master, it is good for us to be here: and let us make three tabernacles; one for thee, and one for Moses, and one for Elias.
Mar_9:11
And they asked him, saying, Why say the scribes that Elias must first come?
Mar_9:12
And he answered and told them, Elias verily cometh first, and restoreth all things; and how it is written of the Son of man, that he must suffer many things, and be set at nought.
Mar_9:13
But I say unto you, That Elias is indeed come, and they have done unto him whatsoever they listed, as it is written of him.

I understand Silk. However.....Jesus told us that John the Baptist was the fulfillment of the promise In Malichai 4.

Matthew 11:14
14" and if you are willing to accept it, he is Elijah who is to come."

Peter admonishes us to consult the "holy men (who) spake as they were moved by the Holy Spirit" (2 Peter 1:20-21) in order to understand prophecy. Zechariah is one such man and what he plainly reveals in chapter 4 is so similar, even identical to what John wrote figuratively in Revelation 11, that the callousness with which his passage is summarily dismissed as having no relevance to Revelation 11 is IMO nothing less than a pitiful, flat out rejection of Peter's counsel.

For what reason is it insisted upon that the Two Witnesses are literal men when John himself symbolically refers to them as "olive trees" and "candlesticks"? Will it be argued that these two "men" are also part tree and part metal - some wicked, unholy amalgamation of human and plant DNA with metallurgy thrown in to boot? No, we will not. Therefore, if prophetic symbolism is at work here, then allow the mechanism by which the Bible says we are to interpret such prophetic symbolism to do it's job, especially when John himself tells us in the very first verse that Jesus has revealed it in symbolism - even at the expense of cherished popular end time beliefs.

Last edited:
Good point about two olive trees...note Revelation's verse is reflected in Zechariah. A word search for two olive brings forth this:

1Ki_6:23 And within the oracle he made two cherubims of olive tree, each ten cubits high.
1Ki_6:32 The two doors also were of olive tree; and he carved upon them carvings of cherubims and palm trees and open flowers, and overlaid them with gold, and spread gold upon the cherubims, and upon the palm trees.
Isa_17:6 Yet gleaning grapes shall be left in it, as the shaking of an olive tree, two or three berries in the top of the uppermost bough, four or five in the outmost fruitful branches thereof, saith the LORD God of Israel.
Zec_4:3 And two olive trees by it, one upon the right side of the bowl, and the other upon the left side thereof.
Zec_4:11 Then answered I, and said unto him, What are these two olive trees upon the right side of the candlestick and upon the left side thereof?
Zec_4:12 And I answered again, and said unto him, What be these two olive branches which through the two golden pipes empty the golden oil out of themselves?
Rev_11:4 These are the two olive trees, and the two candlesticks standing before the God of the earth.
7 verses found, 16 matches

1 Kings 2 verses found 4 matches
Isaiah 1 verse found 2 matches
Zechariah 3 verses found 7 matches
Revelation 1 verse found 3 matches

That is a very logical observation. It would mean that Elijah and Enoch are not clothed with immortal bodies and are yet subject to death. How do you reconcile the problem that no man can stand in the glorious presence of God in his mortal body lest he be consumed?

While that is true, we will have a real problem if all the Raptured saints have to come back and die. If that is the case....why the Rapture to begin with?????

I believe the Two Witnesses will be regular men who come in the POWER of Elijah and Moses.

Speaking of John the Baptist, we find this in Luke 1:17........
"and he will go before him in the spirit and power of Elijah, to turn the hearts of the fathers to the children, and the disobedient to the wisdom of the just, to make ready for the Lord a people prepared.”

IMO this seems to be saying that Malachi 4:5 does not mean that LITERALLY Elijah will come back before the Tribulationbut someone who will have the kind of power that he had.
See I totally disagree... I do not believe it'll be anyone that's in heaven right now. They'll be two post-raptrued individuals with a ministry called by God. That's it.

OK...the challenge here cannot be answered if the two witnesses are unknown. Which they may well be. The purpose is to make a case for two KNOWN biblical characters. And to use scripture to support it. According to Revelation their physical bodies will be slain but they will be resurrected. Showing that people from God don't die. I time it that they appear, full grown, after the Rapture, and the start of the Tribulation's 7 yr. length. I think they will be responsible for building the 3rd Temple and re-establishing the animal sacrifice. And leading the Remnant to Christ. I think the 3 and 1/2 year mark, the AC comes to Jerusalem - slays the 2 witnesses and does the abomination of desolation. The Remnant flees with the resurrected Witnesses (to Petra?).

See I totally disagree... I do not believe it'll be anyone that's in heaven right now. They'll be two post-raptrued individuals with a ministry called by God. That's it.

No brother we agree!

I do not believe they will be anyone in heaven right now either. It makes no sense what so ever and neither does it become Biblical that God would take men to heaven without dying and then return them to die. What would be the point of that when Raptured people will not have that happen to them.

I agree that they will be post raptured men who come to Christ and begin a preaching ministry from the Temple in Jerusalem.

How do we totally disagree????????

Back