Why Christians are Leaving Church

I apologize, but I don't have time to work this up into a good post, but I will post a list of points I wanted to address -- maybe it will spark some insights in others:

Looking from the perspective of people:

Busy lives

Greater Mobility

Decline in the recognition of universal moral truths

Less willingness to listen to or recognize authority (even God's)

"I have a right to my own opinion" has become "My opinion is just as correct as yours so don't tell me what to believe".

Looking from the perspective of the church:

Are churches challenging us to commit daily?

Are churches supporting our commitment?

God deals with us as individuals. Are numbers an adequate means of evaluating this?
I think the OP is a bit misleading because, its not actually christians that are leaving the church. Bible says if unbelievers wish to depart, they can as God doesnt call us to bondage. Paul was talking about marriages, but same principle applies.
Do unbelievers attend church? Sure! Do they want to...? Well they can but they dont HAVE to.

Why attend church if you dont believe? Church is for believers when you come right down to it.

For example, I worked in public libraries and management were always trying to figure out why some people didnt use the library. Simple thing was because some people just dont want to borrow books. You cant MAKE someone go to the library and borrow books. It has to be because they want to. They have a need to or want to and they love going because theres heaps of books. Nothing else. So putting in a tv just to attract people into the library is just peripheral. It doesnt matter how easy or attractive you make it. If somene wants to read or borrow a book they will go. thats what a library is for.

Last edited:
its not actually christians that are leaving the church.

There are a growing number of Christians that feel they can study on their own and have Family devotions without the need of a formal Church. While I agree that this can be done, and it does not mean that the person involved is not a Christian, there is something special about a congregation with committed leadership and members with at a variety of levels of growth. The one that worships apart may be Christian, but they are not the best they can be. They are missing much that the Spirit has for them.

Church is for believers when you come right down to it

Church is also where we want those that are just curious, and those that are seeking, and those that have questions. Many non-Christians have incorrect views of what Christianity is and what it means to be a Christian. They can benefit from attendance, possibly at the invitation of a believer, or because a ministry of the church addresses their material needs.

Also, consider a young person that hasn't reached the maturity to make a decision to follow Christ. Many do not see the relevance to their lives. Church should be a place where they can find that relevance. But too often the relevance of Christ to them personally is not made clear.

Even if they are there for other reasons (like 'social Christians' where attendance and taking part in the church activities is part of their culture. While the reason they are there may not be because they are Christian, but the Spirit can move them, and they can come to a saving understanding hust the same.

Church is for all who would learn about Christ (and themselves).

By the way, I would hesitate to call all who are no Christian unbelievers, Which to my ear implies that they have made a definite decision against becoming a Christian (actively rejectiong rather than a simple lack of having made a decision). Neither are Christian, but one may be open to simple Spirit led discussion, while the Spirit must overcome the other's predecision.

There are a growing number of Christians that feel they can study on their own and have Family devotions without the need of a formal Church. While I agree that this can be done, and it does not mean that the person involved is not a Christian, there is something special about a congregation with committed leadership and members with at a variety of levels of growth.
Greetings My Brother,
The above quote is very true but even more sad. I mean God the Father Places The Anointing to Teach and Shepherd His children for a reason.
We are not ever told to go at it on our own.

Blessings and have a great weekend
FCJ

Regarding the specific issue that prompted the video that started this thread, that of making the sins of members a topic in open church...

I was recently listening to a broadcast on Christian radio where couple described their journey from infidelity in their marriage back through confession and working through issues to a much stronger position. They contrasted the way their problem was handled in their church (with compassion) with what too often occurs. One of the quotes that came up (I am sure it did not originate with this incident) is "The Christian church the only organization that shoots its wounded".

The whole message contrasted with things I have seen where a congregation talks about "loving the sinner, but hating the sin" but often it seems that they are really excited to find a justification for concentrating on the hate, with little effort on the love.

Actually Christians do leave all the time because they desire self pleasure.
Blessings
I dont think so. Unbelievers leave, christians wont. Jesus says believers will abide in the vine. A believer cannot do anything without Him, they are part of the body of Christ.

You are making a massive generalization that isnt true and giving bad name to christians. If you are stating something that is true of yourself, then admit it, but dont make generalisations about your brothers and sisters in christ who worship Him in spirit and in truth. JEsus said God is looking for these kinds of worshippers, not people who pretend to be religious.

A house divided upon itself cannot stand.

I dont think so. Unbelievers leave, christians wont. Jesus says believers will abide in the vine. A believer cannot do anything without Him, they are part of the body of Christ.

You are making a massive generalization that isnt true and giving bad name to christians. If you are stating something that is true of yourself, then admit it, but dont make generalisations about your brothers and sisters in christ who worship Him in spirit and in truth. JEsus said God is looking for these kinds of worshippers, not people who pretend to be religious.

A house divided upon itself cannot stand.
Lanolin please stop with the accusations.
Slow down and think. The church is full of Christians. Those that leave are Christians.
Unbelievers don't even count in this.

Now one could ask.....what keeps the unbelievers from GOING to Church.....

Have a very wonderful weekend

Regarding the specific issue that prompted the video that started this thread, that of making the sins of members a topic in open church...

I was recently listening to a broadcast on Christian radio where couple described their journey from infidelity in their marriage back through confession and working through issues to a much stronger position. They contrasted the way their problem was handled in their church (with compassion) with what too often occurs. One of the quotes that came up (I am sure it did not originate with this incident) is "The Christian church the only organization that shoots its wounded".

The whole message contrasted with things I have seen where a congregation talks about "loving the sinner, but hating the sin" but often it seems that they are really excited to find a justification for concentrating on the hate, with little effort on the love.[/

The whole message contrasted with things I have seen where a congregation talks about "loving the sinner, but hating the sin" but often it seems that they are really excited to find a justification for concentrating on the hate, with little effort on the love.
the church in the OP doesnt seem to have handled it well, but isnt true of most churches. There is a lot of forgiveness and mercy in many churches dont let one bad apple spoil the bunch. Each situation is different though and it depends on the parties involved. Have heard of testimonies where husband and wife on brink of divorce reconciled. And have prayed for such couples and seen God answer.

It does seem that some churches resort to secular methods of mediation rather than do it the godly way. I dont know why that is, It just seems its a matter of belief. Either you believe, or you dont, theres no lukewarm belief because Jesus cant do anything about that, he spits that out of his mouth. If you are doubleminded you wont receive anything from God it says so in the Bible.

This is really what it comes down to. To make it clear well just keep declaring the gospel, thats what you do. But often you do need to go outside of church to do that to reach out. Thats why some churches call it outreach or evangelism. If the church keeps praying it will happen, because God will answer that prayer, its not something that can be built on the ideas of man. You dont need a focus group to find out what people want. GOd already knows people need Jesus. God will place on peoples hearts what to do that will bring people closer to Him.

Kindness leads people to repentance. How is Jesus relevant..well because everything he did was out of Gods lovingkindness to us.

Lanolin please stop with the accusations.
Slow down and think. The church is full of Christians. Those that leave are Christians.
Unbelievers don't even count in this.

Now one could ask.....what keeps the unbelievers from GOING to Church.....

Have a very wonderful weekend
Give an example of a christian that leaves church. Because I actually dont know ANY that do. People change churches and may go somewhere different but they dont leave Jesus if they are in Christ. Jesus said if people dont abide in The vine they wont bear fruit and are cut off. Do you do gardening. Maybe you dont but do you understand that if a branch is cut off, it will die? The life giving sap cant circulate to the branch if its cut off.

Ok what about sheep. Yes there are sheep that may go astray, but the good shepherd always goes and looks for them. They arent leaving, they just wandering. Why would a sheep deliberately go far from the shepherd and away from the flock. The sheep knows its not wise to do so and is dangerous. You might want to ask are there any wolves in sheeps clothing causing division in the flock.

Give an example of a christian that leaves church. Because I actually dont know ANY that do. People change churches and may go somewhere different but they dont leave Jesus if they are in Christ. Jesus said if people dont abide in The vine they wont bear fruit and are cut off. Do you do gardening. Maybe you dont but do you understand that if a branch is cut off, it will die? The life giving sap cant circulate to the branch if its cut off.

Ok what about sheep. Yes there are sheep that may go astray, but the good shepherd always goes and looks for them. They arent leaving, they just wandering. Why would a sheep deliberately go far from the shepherd and away from the flock. The sheep knows its not wise to do so and is dangerous. You might want to ask are there any wolves in sheeps clothing causing division in the flock.
There is a movement within the Christian Realm where believers are deceived into thinking the modern day church is bad and tithing is wrong and they leave the church and become self taught and up way out there in many ways.....they are still saved but are not seeing God move in their lives like they think.

Hey I bet you have never seen a ghost note or new that a GOOD Drummer was placing in ghost notes in his beat.......that does not mean they don't exist.

Blessings... Un-Believers are not members of a church so how can they leave what they never belonged to? :)

Oh and yes mam, in my 59 years you can believe I gave done my share of gardening.
Have a great weekend

Hi, bob in faith, remember me? I just want you to know that this surely speaks to me about certain challenges I am facing lately especially in the area of doing the prayer work for "church planting." All of it is good, however. I see you are much more involved here than when I was a frequent poster. But you also encourage others to get involved and support live church..that is not online. Real folks..face to face. And that is what I am now doing. My husband died almost a year ago so it is a gradual reentry into more activities with others at the church, bible studies, groups, prayer ministry, etc. Yet, I am called to pray here at home a lot more now that I am no longer a 24/7 caregiver. God is good to use us in various ways. Keep up the encouragement here. You are an inspiration. Bless you, your family, and your church family. As ever, your friend, sandpiper (Jo)

Dear Sandpiper;

God bless you and thank you so much for your kind post. This is why SO MANY Christians still go to church. One person can attend worship and make all the difference to another who needed to feel the LOVE of Christ, that day for any given reason.

I'm sure everyone agrees we miss you so much here and enjoy reading your posts that minister and inspire all of us here at Christian Forum Site.

God bless you and your family, sister.

There is a movement within the Christian Realm where believers are deceived into thinking the modern day church is bad and tithing is wrong and they leave the church and become self taught and up way out there in many ways.....they are still saved but are not seeing God move in their lives like they think.

Hey I bet you have never seen a ghost note or new that a GOOD Drummer was placing in ghost notes in his beat.......that does not mean they don't exist.

Blessings... Un-Believers are not members of a church so how can they leave what they never belonged to? :)

Oh and yes mam, in my 59 years you can believe I gave done my share of gardening.
Have a great weekend
Like I said wolves in sheeps clothing come and divide the church. Tithing is not compulsory in many churches so, if they leave a church because they are in one thats demanding a pay packet thats neither here nor there. The church is not a bank. It would be different if someonehad pledged something but then did not do it. Like anais and saphirra.

If someone is hurt by a church member they need to practise what Jesus preached which is to forgive. Sometimes this takes time but this is what Jesus asks us to do. We need to remain faithful to Him and not let what others say or do sway us. Just because we may not get along with one member of the church (and we are all different) does not mean we just leave when the 100 other members of the church still love God and us and have nothing to do with whatever happened.

Like I said wolves in sheeps clothing come and divide the church. Tithing is not compulsory in many churches so, if they leave a church because they are in one thats demanding a pay packet thats neither here nor there. The church is not a bank. It would be different if someonehad pledged something but then did not do it. Like anais and saphirra.
No mam you still are not understanding.
These are born again Spirit filled believers in which you will see in Heaven.
They just will not have fulfilled the plan God had for them as much as others have.

Not sure why you make the comment that the church is not a bank.

A strong Christian that lived a life of service, helped me and my family many times, and served as a deacon in his congregation was publicly rebuked at that church as an unsuccessful father because his son was an unwed father.

The result was that a strong supportive member who worked in many ways, and his family, left that congregation.

For some reason, those sins involving sexual improprieties seem to be denounced and the offenders named at a much greater frequency than other sins (like lying, cheating, meanness of spirit). I do not think that is because instances of untruth telling or hardness of spirit are less often encountered.
Did he go to another church? The thing is for someone in office, like a pastor whos oversseing a congregation, or deacons, letter to timothy does say certain requirements need to be met. Not everyone can be deacon or pastor but they do need to be wise in guiding their own family first. Not saying the way they did this was right but if you were that dad of course you would feel like you hadnt trained your son well if he knocked up his girlfriend.
But the public rebuke doesnt belong to the dad but to the son because he makes his own choices presumably as an adult.

In that case a church would be speaking to the son and his girlfirend in private not the dad. And praying for them. Was the son in that congregation? Sometimes things do need to be said though, I mean God isnt mocked. I have heard that in one of my friends churches theres whole families that parents arent wed and they have more than one child. One of my own friends is an unwed mother with a nine year old son. Lately her partner has been getting closer to God and we sre hoping they will get married this year. He hasnt been going to church (the mother son do attend) but im sure he will get there eventually. He now has a workmate friend whos a christian and thats encouraging.

Marriage does bring glory to God if done Gods way. It is a shame when people start a family and dont bother about marriage. God wants all members in His family and to celebrate a couples love and be present in their marriage, not shut out of it or pushed to one side. Because He can help. Theres no blessing otherwise and the children miss out.

No mam you still are not understanding.
These are born again Spirit filled believers in which you will see in Heaven.
They just will not have fulfilled the plan God had for them as much as others have.

Not sure why you make the comment that the church is not a bank.
Ok but not everyone can tithe FCJ. Its not compulsory. Not all churches do this. Not everyone is employed. It is not like OT where there were many requirments for the priests and sacrificies to be made.
If you choose to tithe yes God sees that and you will be blessed but its not actually compulsory for the church. And if some people cant do this and leave it it no loss to that church if they placed the tithe as more improtant than peoples actual presence.

Ok but not everyone can tithe FCJ. Its not compulsory. Not all churches do this. Not everyone is employed. It is not like OT where there were many requirments for the priests and sacrificies to be made.
If you choose to tithe yes God sees that and you will be blessed but its not actually compulsory for the church. And if some people cant do this and leave it it no loss to that church if they placed the tithe as more improtant than peoples actual presence.
Lol that's all well but I was not talking about the Tithe. Hiwever since you spoke of it...I will tell you this.....
For me and my house hold we Can Not Afford to NOT TITHE.
When we were were without everything and digging in dumpsters for bottles and cans for 10 cents a piece......we not only Tithed on every dime but doubled it and then more.
God brought us up and out of there.

Found NEW clothes and shoes and more.
Find winning lottery tickets in the amount of payments. 20 dollars blowing in the wind more times then you would imagine.

If we would have said we can not afford to tithe and seed.....we would still be digging through puke and poop and maggots for 10 cents at a time.

ADD IN......we went looking for bottles and cans to by 4 bus tickets to get to court early the next morning. Found nothing really and on our way home a guy stopped us and said here this is for you. We got home and it was the exact amount we needed to get the bus tickets to get to our eviction hearing the next morning.

The Judge treated us like Royalty and was not pleased with the lawyers and apartment representatives, however I accepted their claim and now faced a 1300 dollar payment or be out on the street again. God brought the 1300 dollars in and we are still in the same apartment 6 years later. God is Faithful unto His Word.

We Are and Always Will be Tithers and Givers no matter what. :)
You Brought it up.... :)
Have a great day Lanolin.....God is so Good

Lol that's all well but I was not talking about the Tithe. Hiwever since you spoke of it...I will tell you this.....
For me and my house hold we Can Not Afford to NOT TITHE.
When we were were without everything and digging in dumpsters for bottles and cans for 10 cents a piece......we not only Tithed on every dime but doubled it and then more.
God brought us up and out of there.

Found NEW clothes and shoes and more.
Find winning lottery tickets in the amount of payments. 20 dollars blowing in the wind more times then you would imagine.

If we would have said we can not afford to tithe and seed.....we would still be digging through puke and poop and maggots for 10 cents at a time.

We Are and Always Will be Tithers and Givers no matter what. :)
You Brought it up.... :)
Have a great day Lanolin.....God is so Good

Amen! Amen! Amen!

Just thinking about putting up the change and remembering how God even provided the extra for the tithe of the day... or the money to cash in all the change puts tears in my eyes... of how awesome and wonderful of a God we serve!!!! And now He is doing even greater things :)

Back