Bullying...why?

if bullying starts in the playground these children will grow up to perpetuate it on a bigger scale to include war on a global scale.

To fight back just means both parties will be injured. It wont stop anything. If you fight back, youve already lost. What God tells us to do is RESIST.

So how do we resist. Well there are many ways. Most effective is walking away and not going near the bully. Ignoring the bullys threats and baits.

Children can keep put of an angry adults warpath, have their own spaces and shut the door. Children that annoy each other need to have their own spaces. Overcrowding is an often cause of bullying or an inability to share. Drawing lots can make a contention cease. Nobody can argue with being first or last if its a random draw.

A bullying boss. In all the cases becUse this person thinks they have authority, the only recourse really is for the worker to quit, and not tolerate that behaviour. You will find another job. You can report it, but if its ignored, dont stay there.

A marriage. Well the key here is to identify bullying beahviour BEFORE you say I do. Resist any marriage proposal from a bully But if its too late and you have said I do, well unfortunately marriage vows are until death. But divorce happens because of peoples hard hearts and God does not call us to bondage. Im thankful that all these women I know that had divorced or separated, are actually alive today and their husbands did not kill them. They are testament to being alive and their spirits are not crushed.

Yes, but ...

Psalm 144-1: "Praise be to the Lord my Rock, who trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle."

Ecclesiastes 3: "There is a time for everything,and a season for every activity under the heavens: . . . a time to kill and a time to heal . . .
a time to tear down and a time to build . .. a time to love and a time to hate . . . a time for war and a time for peace."

rtm3039

Yes, but ...

Psalm 144-1: "Praise be to the Lord my Rock, who trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle."

Ecclesiastes 3: "There is a time for everything,and a season for every activity under the heavens: . . . a time to kill and a time to heal . . .
a time to tear down and a time to build . .. a time to love and a time to hate . . . a time for war and a time for peace."

rtm3039
You dont know Jesus?

Dont you understand our weapons are not carnal. Read a bit further in the new testament.

The time of war amongst men it actually led to any benefit? David's kingdom disintegrated. He couldnt even build the temple because his hands were so ruined with making war. It had to go to his son Solomon. Jesus said blessed are the peacemakers. Its not our battle. Its now the Lords. JEsus has already won the victory, so why do people insist on fighting?

There is no justification for bullying ever. Not for christians, with the frruitof the holy spirit one of which is kindness.

Perfect love casts out fear..for fear has torment. Another thing I learned is that God has not given us a spirit of fear, but of power, LOVE and a sound mind.

Love can overcome all. This is what Jesus did. Few people understand this, by not saving his own life, he saved everyone elses.

Why God told David he couldnt build the temple...see 1 chronicles 28:2-3

People that habitually destroy find it hard to live in peace I find. They think its boring. They would rather go and fight, like noisy people who really just dont know how to be quiet. They need to have a change of heart, which only God can do.

I have noticed this talking with peoole who think the answer to conflict is more conflict and fighting. They dont understand the priniciples of resistance.

Why God told David he couldnt build the temple...see 1 chronicles 28:2-3

People that habitually destroy find it hard to live in peace I find. They think its boring. They would rather go and fight, like noisy people who really just dont know how to be quiet. They need to have a change of heart, which only God can do.

I have noticed this talking with peoole who think the answer to conflict is more conflict and fighting. They dont understand the priniciples of resistance.

Lanolin, there is a problem in seeing everything as absolutes. In between white and black is grey. Yes, Jesus commands us to love one another; however, Romans 12:18 balances this by noting that "If it is possible, as far as it depends on you, live at peace with everyone." This is why the commandment is "thou shall not murder" and not "thou shall not kill."

Not all acts of war are acts of bullying. In fact, they are often times an act against bullying. Nor are all all acts of war acts of revenge. Sometimes, acts of war are acts of mercy, acts of righting a wrong, acts of protecting the weak.

Your approach to this topic is only applicable to minor cases like someone trying to take your lunch money. If you are talking, as you did, about something like a "war on a global scale," this simplistic approach just does not work. If Hitler slaps you in the face, you do not turn the other cheek. If Charles Manson breaks into your home, you do not turn the other cheek.

Luke 22:36 "He said to them, “But now if you have a purse, take it, and also a bag; and if you don’t have a sword, sell your cloak and buy one."

rtm3039

Last edited:
Lanolin, there is a problem in seeing everything as absolutes. In between white and black is grey. Yes, Jesus commands us to love one another; however, Romans 12:18 balances this by noting that "If it is possible, as far as it depends on you, live at peace with everyone." This is why the commandment is "thou shall not murder" and not "thou shall not kill."

Not all acts of war are acts of bullying. In fact, they are often times an act against bullying. Nor are all all acts of war acts of revenge. Sometimes, acts of war are acts of mercy, acts of righting a wrong, acts of protecting the weak.

Your approach to this topic is only applicable to minor cases like someone trying to take your lunch money. If you are talking, as you did, about something like a "war on a global scale," this simplistic approach just does not work. If Hitler slaps you in the face, you do not turn the other cheek. If Charles Manson breaks into your home, you do not turn the other cheek.

Luke 22:36 "He said to them, “But now if you have a purse, take it, and also a bag; and if you don’t have a sword, sell your cloak and buy one."

rtm3039
Nope it applies everywhere, its not lunch money, you just dont understand. Sorry. When theres light, everything else is i shadow. The problem is your light is very dim so you just not seeing it.
You dont understand Jesus death...he did turn the other cheek when people crucified him. If he had fought back, or physically retailiated and been abusive in return I would not be saved. Its that simple.

You alre also minimising What Jesus did, saying it did not work. Well it worked for me and is still working.

Jesus disicples were all matryed except for John. If they had turned violent and hit back, the gospel would not have spread as it did.

I womder if anyone here has actually marched for freedom or they just take it for granted because of their birth.
Was anyone in the cultural revolution of communist China where the Red Guarss hit back at everyone? Using violence, threats and intimidations. They thought they were doing the right thing and they thought it worked. But they were brainwashed and just used a s a puppet to further evil aims.

I womder if anyone here has actually marched for freedom or they just take it for granted because of their birth.
Was anyone in the cultural revolution of communist China where the Red Guarss hit back at everyone? Using violence, threats and intimidations. They thought they were doing the right thing and they thought it worked. But they were brainwashed and just used a s a puppet to further evil aims.

Hi Lanolin, hope you are having a great day. I cannot speak for others here. I myself was born in a communist country and served in the US Military for 24 years, one month, and 24 days. During my watch, among other things, the cold war ended, the wall fell, and east and west Berlin were unified, Does that count?

rtm3039

You alre also minimising What Jesus did, saying it did not work. Well it worked for me and is still working.

Jesus disicples were all matryed except for John. If they had turned violent and hit back, the gospel would not have spread as it did.

Lanolin, I feel that I have done a poor job of explaining my thoughts, as I do not believe I am suffering from a lack of light or expressed an opinion that minimizes Jesus’ sacrifice for us. (sorry for the long reply).

To me, the act of bullying has two players; a bully and a bullied. As an example: If someone tries to bully me out of my lunch money and my reply is “no,” there is no bullied, so there is no bully.

When I quoted Ecclesiastes 3:1 (NIV): “There is a time for everything, and a season for every activity under the heavens:” I was trying to illustrate my point that there are times when resistance requires an appropriate response and turning the other cheek is not always the appropriate response:

John 2:14-16 (NIV): In the temple courts he found people selling cattle, sheep and doves, and others sitting at tables exchanging money. So he made a whip out of cords, and drove all from the temple courts, both sheep and cattle; he scattered the coins of the money changers and overturned their tables.To those who sold doves he said, “Get these out of here! Stop turning my Father’s house into a market!”

Again, there is a reason why “thou shall not fight back” is not a commandment and why it is “murder” and not “kill.”

Now, I am of the opinion that Jesus, as a man, did not want to be crucified. What he did want, and ultimately endured, was to fulfill the Scripture and honor the will of God. Again, he was not bullied, so there was no bully:

Matthew 26:36-42 (NIV): “Then Jesus went with his disciples to a place called Gethsemane, and he said to them, “Sit here while I go over there and pray.” He took Peter and the two sons of Zebedee along with him, and he began to be sorrowful and troubled. Then he said to them, “My soul is overwhelmed with sorrow to the point of death. Stay here and keep watch with me.” Going a little farther, he fell with his face to the ground and prayed, “My Father, if it is possible, may this cup be taken from me. Yet not as I will, but as you will…” He went away a second time and prayed, “My Father, if it is not possible for this cup to be taken away unless I drink it, may your will be done.”

I do not believe that Jesus’ crucifixion is an example of him turning the other cheek. In fact, I see this as the ultimate act of standing His ground. In standing His ground, He was not bullied, so there was no bully.

Mark 15:1-5 (NIV): Very early in the morning, the chief priests, with the elders, the teachers of the law and the whole Sanhedrin, made their plans. So they bound Jesus, led him away and handed him over to Pilate. “Are you the king of the Jews?” asked Pilate. “You have said so,” Jesus replied. The chief priests accused him of many things. So again Pilate asked him, “Aren’t you going to answer? See how many things they are accusing you of.” But Jesus still made no reply, and Pilate was amazed.

To me, when I read Matthew 5:38 – 41 (NIV), I interpret turning the other cheek to mean not to return insult for insult in retaliation:

Matthew 5:38-41 (NIV): “You have heard that it was said, ‘Eye for eye, and tooth for tooth.’ But I tell you, do not resist an evil person. If anyone slaps you on the right cheek, turn to them the other cheek also. And if anyone wants to sue you and take your shirt, hand over your coat as well. If anyone forces you to go one mile, go with them two miles.”

I just do not see any scripture to believe that if someone enters your home and takes your wife, you should offer him your car keys too.

rtm3039

Jesus told his disciple those who took the sword would perish by the sword. I think you missing the context here. It doesnt mean an arms race. He also told them to put it away. When Peter cut of Malchus ear, Jesus healed him. He was only saying it so prophecy could be fulfilled.

If it was you, would you be like Peter, cut of this mans ear and start killing him...and not bother to heal him.

How then do you love your enemies? I have a feeling you dont really know how or what it entails.

Er, why would someone enter ones home and take someones wife. Dont you think that your wife would just refuse to go. Shes got brains too. Lol

Obviously you cant see anything as bullying.
For example if you say no to someone whos trying to take your lunch money and they take it anyway even after you say no, what is that?

I was just thinking of your example, not mine, because i never used it as an example, as nobody has ever asked me for lunch money. I wouldnt even call that bullying, so why do you think thats what it is.

If someone did, maybe because they didnt have any lunch, then wouldnt you as a christian share what lunch you do have. Jesus asked the disciples for lunch money and they had none. Thats he did his big miracle. One boy shared his lunch and then 5000 got theirs.

At school we all bought our own lunch if someone did forget theres they went hungry or scabbed but that was never considered bullying ...so not sure why you used it as an example. Begging, but not bullying.

Bullying is when someone mocks you or calls you derogatory names and threatens you, spits at you, or uses their power to abuse you. Its not about if you dont have any lunch money!

Hi Lanolin, hope you are having a great day. I cannot speak for others here. I myself was born in a communist country and served in the US Military for 24 years, one month, and 24 days. During my watch, among other things, the cold war ended, the wall fell, and east and west Berlin were unified, Does that count?

rtm3039
Did you love your enemies and witness to them? Are there christians now in those countries that you keep in touch with? As far as I know, the communists werent invading other countries...it was the US that went into theres and they werent there to keep the peace either.

I dont understand what it was all about, just that whatever the war was about was really silly.

I was just thinking of your example, not mine, because i never used it as an example, as nobody has ever asked me for lunch money. I wouldnt even call that bullying, so why do you think thats what it is.

If someone did, maybe because they didnt have any lunch, then wouldnt you as a christian share what lunch you do have. Jesus asked the disciples for lunch money and they had none. Thats he did his big miracle. One boy shared his lunch and then 5000 got theirs.
Lanolin, I think this is a cultural thing. In this country, the taking of someone "lunch money: is often used as an example of bullying. I used it more as a metaphor to differentiate between minor and major issues (lunch money vs. global war). It really was not intended to me taken literally.

Did you love your enemies and witness to them? Are there christians now in those countries that you keep in touch with? As far as I know, the communists werent invading other countries...it was the US that went into theres and they werent there to keep the peace either.

I dont understand what it was all about, just that whatever the war was about was really silly.
Wow, really?

Back