Liberal Theology?

Lanolin, by listening to God do you mean accepting Him?
I am a little unsure what listening to God is. Except it’s like an acceptance.

But CPerkins has gave a easy enough reply and that I think can understand.
I don’t see the Holy Spirit communication either, only the effects.

That is good Via. Yes, what CPerkins posted was right on target and he always is by the way!

One of the great problems we have in Christianity is when we start to believe that God is telling us something. The problem is that what we hear is usually "what" we want to hear.

"God told me" that I needed a new car.
"The Holy Spirit" said to me that I was the one who is right.

However what that does is make the Bible and God aliar because He has already said that He has no respect of persons. That simply means that what He says to one is said to all.

Deut. 6:19.........
"For the LORD your God is God of gods, and Lord of lords, a great God, a mighty, and a terrible, which regardeth not persons, nor taketh reward".

So then if someone says to you.... "God spoke to ME and said"......that makes that person special and that is exactly what the Bible says He will not do.

Information for thought!

That is good Via. Yes, what CPerkins posted was right on target and he always is by the way!

One of the great problems we have in Christianity is when we start to believe that God is telling us something. The problem is that what we hear is usually "what" we want to hear.

"God told me" that I needed a new car.
"The Holy Spirit" said to me that I was the one who is right.

However what that does is make the Bible and God aliar because He has already said that He has no respect of persons. That simply means that what He says to one is said to all.

Deut. 6:19.........
"For the LORD your God is God of gods, and Lord of lords, a great God, a mighty, and a terrible, which regardeth not persons, nor taketh reward".

So then if someone says to you.... "God spoke to ME and said"......that makes that person special and that is exactly what the Bible says He will not do.

Information for thought!
When God spoke in the bible to his servants I believe it was just reality personified.
So for me, when my new car comes next week, It’s not God that told me to buy it, He’s not an invisible friend…that was me that wanted to buy it by my need and desire that God gave me😊

When God spoke in the bible to his servants I believe it was just reality personified.
So for me, when my new car comes next week, It’s not God that told me to buy it, He’s not an invisible friend…that was me that wanted to buy it by my need and desire that God gave me😊

Correct.

YOU decided you needed that car for whatever reason.
YOU decided that YOU could afford it.
YOU decided that you liked the color you choose.

God has given you health to work and pay for what you wanted to buy.

Unless you are my daughter and I paid for it and gave it to you.

What, you don't listen to God?
Then how do you know what He wants you to do?

I had a church member say she had problems listening to God cos she wouldn't shut up lol. Or she was always listening to music all the time. So we prayed and sat and listened and then she read some scripture and she was like oohhh. lol

I think some people just like to talk a lot instead of being quiet and reading the Bible. Or just being quiet and letting God speak to her heart.

Doesn't God give you scripture when you ask Him?
He always giving me wisdom from Proverbs. Not always, but then wisdom is what I ask for most. Sometimes He gives me verses from other books in the Bible.

Does He just let you talk over Him, or you just a natural chatterbox? If I called you on the phone instead of listening to what I had to say would you just want to talk over me?

what, prayer isn't about listening to God? What planet are you from?
When you talk to God, don't you listen to Him as well? Give Him time to answer you? How can you not know in your heart that God has answered your prayer if you do not listen?

Or do you just go off and go ok here God this is all the stuff I have to say to you. Now got that off my chest. Bye.

I strive to listen to God everyday. God speaks directly to us through his word (the Bible). God also through his Spirit gives me understanding and many spiritual gifts. Through his Spirit I can learn if I actively listen. Sometimes God communicates through what is going on around me and God prompts me to see the implications.

In prayers I strive to pour my heart out to God (an act of speaking). I know in my heart that God hears and does answer. I know in my heart as well that God is greatly patient and listens to our words, thoughts, imaginations (as well as the Holy Spirits groanings) and like a loving Father with young child knows when to redirect or listen.

I give God time to answer. Often pausing to reflect on things as I continue to communicate with him. God's answers have at time came right away usually not in words though, but in events that are clearly God at work. For me, I trust that I will hear God's answer in some form whether as I read his word, go about my day, or through other revelation.

Does God speak to you in words during prayer or show himself in things going on around you? How is it that God speaks to you in prayer?

I also like to meditate and in meditation often times sense an inspiration knowing that this too may be God speaking to me. Usually I test these insights to see if they are of God or another spirit.

Well the holy spirit often groans. He doesn't put into words, but I know. At other times I pray in tongues. I don't know what is said because its unknown tongue. But the Holy spirit is praying. Much better than I can!
Also, He brings to my mind scripture, or I have this peace and I know He has heard my prayer. Sometimes the answers don't come straight away, but on His timing.
It is rarely that I pray with other people, I usually do it in my own room or when nobody else is around in my car. When I'm in my room I have my Bible close by so when God gives me scriptureI can look it up. Usually just a reference.

Although when I do pray with others, we spend time listening to God. I often think in some churches prayers are either very long, or they are rushed, as everyone is jostling to say them. I sometimes have been in groups where everyone has a turn and they start repeating what someone else has already prayed...?!

I have the habit of closing my eyes when I pray with others because I can concentrate better on God. I know some people think this is strange but otherwise it's too distracting. If there are no more words to say I stay silent. I just connect with God during my prayer times. Sometimes it's no more than God I just want to spend this time with you. Or God I need help with this, or some wisdom, or I'm having a tough time. What shall I do? Or, as is most common in the urban area I live...when I'm driving (which is always a risky endeavour, well since there are so many others on the road) Lord help me to get there safely on time and let there be parking!

If I need to remember something, I write down my prayers. Writing also helps me clarify things.

Thanks, Lanolin

That gives me a very clear idea of what you are talking about in prayer. I have also been inspired at times while in prayer though most of the time it comes later. I too rarely pray with others except in a church setting. Prayer time has always been a more personal time to speak with God sharing many things that come to mind perhaps prompted by the Spirit.

At times I pray in crowded places with a specific request for help. Other times I feel a sense of need just for a quick chat say right before closing my eyes. My main prayers though I like to find a place I can focus entirely on God realizing the wonderful opportunity we have in drawing close to God.

What, you don't listen to God?
Then how do you know what He wants you to do?

I had a church member say she had problems listening to God cos she wouldn't shut up lol. Or she was always listening to music all the time. So we prayed and sat and listened and then she read some scripture and she was like oohhh. lol

I think some people just like to talk a lot instead of being quiet and reading the Bible. Or just being quiet and letting God speak to her heart.
I needed a car, so I accepted that. I take lessons coz otherwise I can't have one. I take that as listening to God. I also listen to God when my stomach growls and go eat something.

i'm not that good at reading the bible, prayerfully, so I suppose I just do what I can with what ive got.

im jealous you guys on here can do that easily☹️

hopefully, once I have progressed from understanding God,the simple things He requires of me, I may be able to progress into bible reading prayers, one in which He can show me more of my life and the wisdom to tackle it.

Last edited:
Lanolin said:
Doesn't God give you scripture when you ask Him?
He always giving me wisdom from Proverbs. Not always, but then wisdom is what I ask for most. Sometimes He gives me verses from other books in the Bible.
God has gifted members of His body differently.
thanks cross note...I thought I was going bananas lol
I was wondering the other day, why
He dosent seem to pop them into my head anymore. I find myself looking up scriptures that are relevant to my current experience. I thought the Holy Spirit pops them into our heads(remembering scriptures) but I get very little in that respect.

I remember when he first started doing that, but now nothing. but then it dawned on me...
I realised I was relying on therm out of fear, I was scared. I had the wrong idea about God and who He was. I was relying on them as THE ONLY WAY He speaks to me..

I needed a car, so I accepted that. I take lessons coz otherwise I can't have one. I take that as listening to God. I also listen to God when my stomach growls and go eat something.

i'm not that good at reading the bible, prayerfully, so I suppose I just do what I can with what ive got.

im jealous you guys on here can do that easily☹️

hopefully, once I have progressed from understanding God,the simple things He requires of me, I may be able to progress into bible reading prayers, one in which He can show me more of my life and the wisdom to tackle it.

How about starting with prayerful focus upon 1 John 2:27. You have FAR better than just the Bible to which you can appeal for understanding and fillment in your journey to deeper understanding of the word of God.

For crying out loud, partake of what's offered by the Lord to you and all the rest of us. Let the Spirit of the Lord set you free to receive from Him what He has for you. Stop making this a matter of effort on your part. You, like all the rest of us, will fail utterly when operating from the basis of your own strength and efforts in gaining understanding of the things of God.

Come on! Never mind milk like unto the advertising of "Got milk?" No!

The REAL questions is, "Got SPIRIT?" You, like all the rest of us here, have access to the Spirit of the Lord to fill us with Himself, and with His understanding. Just ASK! I did, and have continued to ask without ceasing, and, boy, does He ever honor His promises.

We ALL sometimes need a swift kick in the pants (offered in love, of course) to get us up off the stool of weaknesses and procrastination. The seat of my spiritual britches are covered with the prints of loving kicks...from many a loving brother through the years.

MM

How about starting with prayerful focus upon 1 John 2:27. You have FAR better than just the Bible to which you can appeal for understanding and fillment in your journey to deeper understanding of the word of God.

For crying out loud, partake of what's offered by the Lord to you and all the rest of us. Let the Spirit of the Lord set you free to receive from Him what He has for you. Stop making this a matter of effort on your part. You, like all the rest of us, will fail utterly when operating from the basis of your own strength and efforts in gaining understanding of the things of God.

Come on! Never mind milk like unto the advertising of "Got milk?" No!

The REAL questions is, "Got SPIRIT?" You, like all the rest of us here, have access to the Spirit of the Lord to fill us with Himself, and with His understanding. Just ASK! I did, and have continued to ask without ceasing, and, boy, does He ever honor His promises.

We ALL sometimes need a swift kick in the pants (offered in love, of course) to get us up off the stool of weaknesses and procrastination. The seat of my spiritual britches are covered with the prints of loving kicks...from many a loving brother through the years.

MM

Thanks Musicmaster for the reminder that it is the Spirit in us that brings understanding, gives strength, prays with us and is with God. Through this Spirit all things are possible.

Matt 19:26 But Jesus beheld them, and said unto them, With men this is impossible; but with God all things are possible. (KJV)

1 Cor 1:26 For ye see your calling, brethren, how that not many wise men after the flesh, not many mighty, not many noble, are called: (KJV)

We are flesh and blood which is weak to begin with. God has called or chosen the poor.

Jam 2:5 Hearken, my beloved brethren, Hath not God chosen the poor of this world rich in faith, and heirs of the kingdom which he hath promised to them that love him? (KJV)

Another thing to consider:
Matt 11:25 At that time Jesus answered and said, I thank thee, O Father, Lord of heaven and earth, because thou hast hid these things from the wise and prudent, and hast revealed them unto babes. (KJV)

Much of my life has not been wise or prudent and yet I know God reveals great things in his word. He tells me to that he has hid these same truths from those wise in this world, so called scholars.

Praying isn't about effort, it's about connecting with God.

Children can pray, it's just talking to God. The thing with God is, He might be waiting for YOU to start talking with Him, and then having a conversation from then on.

Sometimes I hear people complain 'I never hear from God anymore' and its because they haven't prayed! They are just kind of expecting Him to call them.

It's like the friend that complains 'I haven't heard from you in ages!' And for some strange reason blames you, when THEY haven't even bothered to call you either. Don't forget, God being God...is answering billions of prayers all the time. He's like...got an entire call centre helpdesk at His disposal. 24/7. He's not the telemarketer who calls YOU at inconvenient times.

He dosent seem to pop them into my head anymore. I find myself looking up scriptures that are relevant to my current experience. I thought the Holy Spirit pops them into our heads(remembering scriptures) but I get very little in that respect.

I remember when he first started doing that, but now nothing. but then it dawned on me...
I realised I was relying on therm out of fear, I was scared. I had the wrong idea about God and who He was. I was relying on them as THE ONLY WAY He speaks to me..

Via....I would like to give you something to consider. YOU have a "Conscience". Your conscience is a God given ability so that you can know right from wrong in all spiritual matters.

Your conscience is the lamp of God shedding lite on the dark path of life and it is the vehicle to which God speaks to all of us.

Acts 24:16.......
"So always take pains to have a clear conscience toward both God and man."

However, much of the time we ignore the voice of God speaking to our consciousness and instead listen to our fleshly side and then we live in defeat always asking......"why me Lord, what did I do to deserve this?"

You see......when we ignore the voice of God speaking to our conscience, disobedience always brings judgment!

Let me give some examples:
God spoke to Adam and Eve and told them what NOT to do. But they listened to their flesh and ignored God and did what they wanted to do.
They disobeyed God and were troubled by it. WHY then did they hide from God? Their conscience!

What do you think made David cry out........."Have mercy on me O God- withdraw not your Holy Spirit from me".
He disobeyed God, listened to his flesh instead of his conscience.

My advice.......STOP, SIT DOWN, and LISTEN and WAIT.

Via, I find a problem I have with my Scripture memory muscle is I start relying on electronic concordances, bible apps with search engines and ugh, Google. The over use of these contrivances have in a way weakened my memory muscles. Or perhaps, God is not pleased I'm not looking to Him for the recall. Hmm, I wonder if Adam forgot what Eden was like after 900 years lol.

I needed a car, so I accepted that. I take lessons coz otherwise I can't have one. I take that as listening to God. I also listen to God when my stomach growls and go eat something. i'm not that good at reading the bible, prayerfully, so I suppose I just do what I can with what ive got. im jealous you guys on here can do that easily☹️ hopefully, once I have progressed from understanding God,the simple things He requires of me, I may be able to progress into bible reading prayers, one in which He can show me more of my life and the wisdom to tackle it.

How about starting with prayerful focus upon 1 John 2:27. You have FAR better than just the Bible to which you can appeal for understanding and fillment in your journey to deeper understanding of the word of God. For crying out loud, partake of what's offered by the Lord to you and all the rest of us. Let the Spirit of the Lord set you free to receive from Him what He has for you. Stop making this a matter of effort on your part. You, like all the rest of us, will fail utterly when operating from the basis of your own strength and efforts in gaining understanding of the things of God. Come on! Never mind milk like unto the advertising of "Got milk?" No! The REAL questions is, "Got SPIRIT?" You, like all the rest of us here, have access to the Spirit of the Lord to fill us with Himself, and with His understanding. Just ASK! I did, and have continued to ask without ceasing, and, boy, does He ever honor His promises. We ALL sometimes need a swift kick in the pants (offered in love, of course) to get us up off the stool of weaknesses and procrastination. The seat of my spiritual britches are covered with the prints of loving kicks...from many a loving brother through the years. MM

Via....I would like to give you something to consider. YOU have a "Conscience". Your conscience is a God given ability so that you can know right from wrong in all spiritual matters. Your conscience is the lamp of God shedding lite on the dark path of life and it is the vehicle to which God speaks to all of us. Acts 24:16......."So always take pains to have a clear conscience toward both God and man." However, much of the time we ignore the voice of God speaking to our consciousness and instead listen to our fleshly side and then we live in defeat always asking......"why me Lord, what did I do to deserve this?" My advice.......STOP, SIT DOWN, and LISTEN and WAIT.

Praying isn't about effort, it's about connecting with God. Don't forget, God being God...is answering billions of prayers all the time. He's like...got an entire call centre helpdesk at His disposal. 24/7. He's not the telemarketer who calls YOU at inconvenient times.

Via, I find a problem I have with my Scripture memory muscle is I start relying on electronic concordances, bible apps with search engines and ugh, Google. The over use of these contrivances have in a way weakened my memory muscles. Or perhaps, God is not pleased I'm not looking to Him for the recall. Hmm, I wonder if Adam forgot what Eden was like after 900 years lol.

I blue-lighted and in MM's statement red-lighted because these are excellent posts that hit me hard this morning after yesterday's worship service. Major, I'm sure you can identify with this.

What Via said in contrast to what the responses were is a great example of our growing in Christ. Yesterday I had my liberal theological moment before, during and after yesterday's worship service.

The flow of the worship service was sloppy! I won't go into detail but many things just didn't go well. Afterward, I asked the leadership to meet with me in the library and the first thing I did was apologize to them. In my inner cup I was so intense and frustrated.

We always prepare for God's blessings for the Sunday worship service and especially the measures of preventive maintenance. Unfortunately, it didn't go well.

As they were listening, I confessed to everyone that deep inside, I was so frustrated over the mechanics of the service after everything I did to prepare my part. I let down my guard and instead of it being about God, it was about me, after all my efforts, yet many things went wrong.

The liberal was God being there to allow me to figure this out, spiritually and Biblically. Then I was reminded in Job 2:10b, Shall we accept good from God, and not trouble?”

After I opened up to everyone, thank God, they all understood. Then we prayed in accord and gave glory to God for His presence in not just the good, but also during the troubles we will endure.

I agree with crossnote. I personally find that it's not always about how much we pray, read the Bible and apply the application of serving God that everything will fall into place, it's allowing the Holy Spirit to set us free from ourselves, exposing our weaknesses when we do fail or when things fall apart. We have to be reminded from God, what is missing?

Things Happen. God knows this and as Lanolin shared, always pray, connecting and let God be God.

Through it all, Major shares a profound lesson and by the prompting of the Holy Spirit's help, Stop, Sit Down, Listen and Wait. It works!

God bless you all for your posts. It gave me much to think about this morning.

Back