Ten Tribes of Israel - Are You Among Their Number?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Here's one thing I wondered, why are Israelis called Israelis but in the Bible they are always called Israelites.

Isn't it just the same.. or am I missing a distinction with the 'te' ?

Another thing that's confusing is isn't Jewish the same thing as being a Judaean.

Then there's Hebrews and Semites (always hear of the word 'anti-semitism') but the Semites weren't actually a people were they? Nobody is 'anti-Hebrew'.

The "manual" I was reading was from your post #68. It's good to know you know some Preterists!

Oh, yes. I know them, have read their websites that describe their beliefs, talked with them, and so have a pretty good idea what they believe....at least those I have dealt with in the recent past.

MM

Here's one thing I wondered, why are Israelis called Israelis but in the Bible they are always called Israelites.

Another thing that's confusing is isn't Jewish the same thing as being a Judaean.

Then there's Hebrews and Semites (always hear of the word 'anti-semitism') but the Semites weren't actually a people were they? Nobody is 'anti-Hebrew'.

Yes, they are one in the same, but different adjectives or nouns.

????

The Jews are from the southern kingdom, comprised of two tribes. The northern kingdom is the other ten, who were dispersed out into the nations of the world, although not lost as some like to claim.

MM

Yes, they are one in the same, but different adjectives or nouns.
????
The Jews are from the southern kingdom, comprised of two tribes. The northern kingdom is the other ten, who were dispersed out into the nations of the world, although not lost as some like to claim.
MM

The -ite's in Israelites, Moabites, Amorites, Hittites means descendant of.

The -ean and -ian in Judaean and Samarian have variation of meanings but one is the inhabitant of a people and dwelling place.

The -ean and -ian in Judaean and Samarian have variation of meanings but one is the inhabitant of a people and dwelling place.

Thanks, Bob. My brain was too tired to hash through all that.

MM

So...nobody really went to Canada? Too cold?

Jewish families act in very similar ways to Chinese families. The main difference is the Chinese eat everything and not fussy about food, plus will eat pork. And crayfish.

I suspect that Israelites that went into China quickly assimilated when they found the only meat available to eat was pork lol.
Opinion????

What are you looking for? Ancestry.com would probably only go back to 1900 anyway.

To me, it doesn't matter about what Paul calls " useless genealogies "
Doesn't matter. If one is not a Messianic Jew, well their better off seeking Jesus as a fulfillment of their faith , rather than trying to change God mind about who will be saved at the end of their life.

Matthew 24:13..........
"who will be saved at the end of their life."

"Contextually:----"He that shall endure unto the end, the same shall be saved" - The word "end," here, has by some been thought to mean the destruction of Jerusalem, or the end of the Jewish economy, and the meaning has been supposed to be "he that perseveres in bearing these persecutions to the end of the wars shall be safe.

God will protect his people from harm, so that not a hair of the head shall perish."

Others, with more probability, have referred this to final salvation, and refer the end to the close of life.

"He that bears afflictions and persecutions faithfully that constantly adheres to his religion, and does not shrink until death shall be saved, or shall enter heaven."

So Luke Luk 21:18 says,..........
"there shall not an hair of your head perish" - that is, they would be saved. "An hair of the head," or the smallest part or portion, is a proverbial expression, denoting the "certainty and completeness" of their salvation.

Luke Luk 21:19 adds further:.........
"In your patience possess ye your souls" - that is, keep your souls "patient;" keep proper possession of patience as your own. It is a part of religion to teach it, and in these trying times let it not depart from you.

so no 'Israelians' then?
Or Israelese?
Or Israelish?
No Israeland?

Or Judites.

I joke that the English are descendants of the Engs. Which is one of my Chinese family names. Because the Engs ought to live in England...but they don't. They live in Canada!

I kinda of like Beulah as a name for a land.
New Jerusalem (like New York, or New Zealand, Or New Foundland) has a nice ring to it.

But I do like 'The Holy Land' and 'The Promised Land' as names too.

What does the name of Israel mean in Hebrew anyway. Doesn't it mean God's struggle?
I often get the letters mixed up and end up spelling it like Isreal. As in..Is it Real?

In New Zealand we call the town of Gisborne 'Gizzy'.
I wonder if Isrealis have pet names for their country, like they might call it 'Izzy'.

I have often heard people refer to NZ in the olden days as 'Godzone'.

Of course from the Amish perspective, most all who are not Amish are called 'the English'. ❓ ❓

Sounds like the Broad Brush Stroke Fallacy to me. That would be like me calling them "The Bearded Without Moustache," especially given that the women generally don't have them either...not meaning that they have moustaches....

Hmm, I can see that this could be misconstrued, given my known tendency toward hidden meanings and such....

MM

Sounds like the Broad Brush Stroke Fallacy to me. That would be like me calling them "The Bearded Without Moustache," especially given that the women generally don't have them either...not meaning that they have moustaches....

Hmm, I can see that this could be misconstrued, given my known tendency toward hidden meanings and such....

MM
I'm not sure how it came about how thery started calling everyone else 'the English', sort of like how Lutherans tend to call other non Lutheran Christians as 'reformed'. Go figure.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back