Bullying...why?

This is a big part of the problem. The world is made up primarily of unbelievers and as such don't see things through God's word. As Christians we are the ones to set the right example acting in love. At times we will be required to suffer for righteousness sake as others attempt to bully us and we react in love instead.

I think bullying is a pride issue.
While bullying isn't really listed as a sin as such, it seems it stems from pride.

The world is very big on Pride. People are constantly told to 'be proud of themselves' "make parents proud' and there are even pride parades! Companies put on their logos 'proudly made' or 'Proud to be' while children are exhorted to 'take pride' in their achievements.
It is literally everywhere you look.

How many times I have heard that my little country is proud to 'be on the world stage'. Or that the All Blacks or whatever sporting team has won something and that we as a nation should be proud.

Rugby is pretty much an accepted version of the game bullrush where basically, people run and each other to try and flatten them down and get the ball to the other side....the other team tries to block the others from achieving this. This is pretty much how unbelievers see the world works in their lives. To be on top, you pretty much have to push through (i.e. be a bully) and kick/tackle/flatten everyone out of the way.

Hello Lanolin;

Well, now that you brought up sports I'm surprised you never mention New Zealand's women's soccer team. They are a good, competitive team and respected on the world stage. But when they go against the super teams, it may seem as if they're bullied against some opposing teams. Despite that, I have noticed the NZ women's team always present themselves very professional and humble, yet play hard.

Its also very visible the New Zealand women's soccer team is having fun in their profession.

Hello Lanolin;

Well, now that you brought up sports I'm surprised you never mention New Zealand's women's soccer team. They are a good, competitive team and respected on the world stage. But when they go against the super teams, it may seem as if they're bullied against some opposing teams. Despite that, I have noticed the NZ women's team always present themselves very professional and humble, yet play hard.

Its also very visible the New Zealand women's soccer team is having fun in their profession.
There are lots and lots of sports that NZ participates in, half the news is taken up with who played who every single day.
TAB is a big thing here, where people bet on races and sports and who will win. And it's state run.
You can pretty much bet on anything...it's a billion dollar industry.

Hello Lanolin;

Agreed Bob. Having played sports all my life..........I can tell you and everyone else that "Pride" is the motivating factor in all of life.

If we play on any team the coach will always instill pride as the reason to practice hard to do well.
We work hard to do a good job because we take pride in what we do.
When we watch our children and grandchildren play in a game.....we tell everyone around us that that one there who scored that point is MY child.

When we watch or participate in a sports game and it seems as if there is a bullying going on it is not. That shoving and punching and yelling is nothing more than excitement and enthusiasm running wild because of the competition of the game.

Personally I do not think that pride has anything to do with a bully.

IMO a bully comes from many factors one of which is bad parenting. Another reason is puberty. Raging hormones in an undisciplined child is a disaster.

Also, I am convinced that Electronic communication is a contributing factor to bullying, but not just because it makes it easier to bully but because Electronic communication is more informal and less empathetic, and our them may be impeding the development of important person-to-person social skills.

Take this web site as an example. People say things here on a computer that they would never say to anyone face to face. Ambiguity breeds contempt's which produces a need to be more aggressive than you are able to normally be. That is what a bully does!

I was making a PD (professional development) page for my teachers on the library website.
I came across a sports page for coaches and teachers run by a partner of Sport NZ. It was saying 'Balance is better'. The reasoning was that young people especially teens are dropping out of sport because parents and coaches are being bullies plus it's way too competitive. The site was then advocating for better ways of getting children into sport because frankly, it's just not fun for them.

The bully never counts on the victim to desert them. They NEED their target to be around to fight.

Agreed Bob. Having played sports all my life..........I can tell you and everyone else that "Pride" is the motivating factor in all of life.
IMO a bully comes from many factors one of which is bad parenting. Another reason is puberty. Raging hormones in an undisciplined child is a disaster.
Take this web site as an example. People say things here on a computer that they would never say to anyone face to face. Ambiguity breeds contempt's which produces a need to be more aggressive than you are able to normally be. That is what a bully does!

I was making a PD (professional development) page for my teachers on the library website.
I came across a sports page for coaches and teachers run by a partner of Sport NZ. It was saying 'Balance is better'. The reasoning was that young people especially teens are dropping out of sport because parents and coaches are being bullies plus it's way too competitive. The site was then advocating for better ways of getting children into sport because frankly, it's just not fun for them.

The bully never counts on the victim to desert them. They NEED their target to be around to fight.

Hello Major;

My Dad introduced me to baseball in 1965 and played Little and Senior League for 7 years. Later I managed the Seniors (13-15) and my last year the youngest league called T-Ball (6-7 years old) for 6 years.

The pride you talk about is a good pride. The coach taught us fair play, everyone from the bench to the starting players learned to play as one team. The intent was to win the game but accept a loss as good sportsmanship. Most of all baseball or most sports included having fun.

The bullying part on a professional level is when the opposing team is so much superior and will run the score up, degrading the losing team on national tv. Good professional football and basketball games will merely run out the clock.

You mentioned bullying comes from a factor of bad parenting and puberty. I was there from both sides. As a player I understood why some kids never wanted to play or compete again and this impacts their growing years.

But as manager I had to deal with temperamental parents that took the game way too serious and overprotected their son from the coach or umpire. When I umpired I had to take abuse from unruly managers. One that I remember, I had to kick him out of the game and make him leave the ballpark before we could proceed with the game.

I agree what you shared regarding websites as a platform are notorious for bullies, basically cowards who hide behind their keyboard unloading so much disrespect, berating and cursing another human being. That's easy.

It's hard to respect another's civil opinion with Love, acceptance and representing Christ. It's hard but it's worth it, even when competing in sports.

Hello Lanolin;

Good for Sports NZ and the development page pushes back on bullies by educating kids and all ages who want to play or enter sports as a profession. At least someone is doing something about it.

I don't think bullying happens because of puberty because younger kids who hadn't even reached puberty yet DO bully those even younger and weaker than them!

I see it happen in schools where the children are aged 5-11.

Bad parenting I might agree is a factor but even more so LACK of parenting as well.

Was Jacob a good parent? He picked a favourite son (Joseph) which incensed his older brothers who then ganged up on him and sold him into slavery. A parent can be a good parent to one child and a horrible one to another.

On the news recently there were reports of banning parents from sports because they were bullying their own children.

Coaches might have high standards but they do put the pressure on. It's just not fun for the children. https://www.rnz.co.nz/programmes/the-detail/story/2018783989/changing-the-bullying-culture-in-sport

I guess good sportsmanship and fair play isn't really taught these days, when money gets involved.

Children then pick it up from their parent's poor attitudes, as well as a sort of snobbery where many think they are superior to others, whether it's because their parents earn more or are priveliged or whatever, or just simply because they are bigger. A lot of parents still have racist attitudes from back in the dark ages where people think skin colour matters, which is a holdover from social darwinism. Taken to extremes people who think this way subscribe to 'survival of the fittest' and wouldn't think twice about practising eugenics.

Yea we'd just make up games and our own rules and we would all agree on what they were. It's different when adults are involved.
Also, if younger kids played and we were older we would make allowances for differing abilities.

With bullies I guess the sole object is to win.

Not that winning is wrong, but it becomes ugly when the 'losers' are denigrated.

I realise this isnt a very positive topic but maybe something positive will come out of it if we ask God to help us deal with it.

It happens in families, in schools, and in workplaces. It happens online. It can be devastating especially for the victims.

And yes Ive been bullied. Its horrible. It happns a lot in workplaces, just because you leave school doesnt mean people have left that playground mentality behind. Adults can be the worst. Ive seen it happen in retirement villages!

What can we do about it?

Ive just started a new job at school and I see it happen in classrooms. Even some teachers bully their own children. The older children sometimes gang up on the younger ones, there are fights and tears. So What can we do about it? Is it just peoples nature to pick on those who are younger or weaker than themselves?

They tried to bully me in school also, but I was smarter than them

Sometimes people bully you just because you are smart and they are not so smart, and they are jealous. In fact that's where much motivation for bullying seems to comes from...

Something pickled or canned can mean bullied.
"Bully for you" is similar to saying 'good for you'.

You bullied some corn beef, bully for you!
haha
I've heard of the expression 'bully for you'
But I thought maybe people misheard or mispronounced 'boiled' and thought it was 'bullied' as in 'I bullied some water'.

Well...bullying been happening at the highest level with politicians in nz recently. So if our so called leaders are indulging in it, what are children going to learn. 'Might is right'? Or whoever pushes the other person down and steps over them gets to be at the top?

bump
Been reading this thread
Bullying was also rife in the private school I worked in.
The Primary Principal did not thing to stop it, in fact the Principals encouraged it. When there was a fight in the library, the Primary Principal blamed me when she could have stepped in and stopped it.

I realise this isnt a very positive topic but maybe something positive will come out of it if we ask God to help us deal with it.

It happens in families, in schools, and in workplaces. It happens online. It can be devastating especially for the victims.

And yes Ive been bullied. Its horrible. It happns a lot in workplaces, just because you leave school doesnt mean people have left that playground mentality behind. Adults can be the worst. Ive seen it happen in retirement villages!

What can we do about it?

Ive just started a new job at school and I see it happen in classrooms. Even some teachers bully their own children. The older children sometimes gang up on the younger ones, there are fights and tears. So What can we do about it? Is it just peoples nature to pick on those who are younger or weaker than themselves?
Without engaging in a lot of psychological mumbo-jumbo, I'll keep it simple. Bullies bully because they are human predators; they prey upon victims for their own satisfaction. They are like cats with mice and other smaller prey, and a good many of them have the same sociopathic properties as the house cats.

It's a fact of nature in the animal kingdom that predators don't prey on animals that present a danger to themselves. I made sure that my son was never bullied; I placed him in martial arts training when he entered kindergarten. When he was 7 years old, he received his black belt. One fellow student in elementary school tried to physically bully him, and he put the culprit on the floor with a single leg sweep. That ended that, and he was never again bullied during the remainder of his academic career.

Back