Liberal Theology?

It was such dry reading that the silverfish and cockroaches were eating the theology books.
Do you have brooding Cicadas like many are experiencing here in the U.S.?
I hear some (like in Thailand) eat those critters. They probably taste better than the musty 'ol theology books.

the books by RA Torey?
I think he wrote a couple of the 90 essays between 1910-1915…

I'll concur, once I see the Temple being re-built.

Rtm

THAT is exactly why there is so much conflict in Israel today.

The process of breeding a "Red Heifer " to meet the requirements of Numbers 19 was started about 20 years ago. Nine Red Heifers were used in preparing the waters used to purify Jews. According to Jewish tradition, the tenth one will be used by the Messiah. The process is to breed a 100% pure RED Heifer.
Source: https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/7217719/bible-prophecy-apocalypse-firs-red-heifer-born-israel/
Source: https://www.israel365news.com/45326/cattleman-raising-historic-herd-red-heifers-israel-jewish-world/

The Jewish Sanhedrin in Jerusalem has taken steps necessary for reinstating future Temple services. One project of the group has been the planting of the Biblical Temple forest which will serve the agricultural needs of the Third Temple.
Source: https://www.jewishvoice.org/read/article/update-building-third-temple

The Sanhedrin and the Temple Movement also hold reenactments of Temple ceremonies for the training of those who are from the priestly class known as Kohanim. This training involves special schooling on the duties of the priests, the use of ritual vessels created for use in the Third Temple, and practice on a newly constructed altar of burnt offering.

Another recent rediscovery of the Temple Institute has been the revival of the science of producing biblical crimson. This dye was used in the garments of the High Priest, the parochet (the massive curtain that separated the Holy of Holies from the Holy Place in the Temple), and was an ingredient used in the mixture combined with ashes of the Red Heifer. Professor Zohar Amar of Bar Ilan University discovered that the eggs of the tola’at shani (crimson worm) found in modern Israel would produce the crimson dye.

The only thing missing is the actual building on the Temple mount.

Problem.........The Temple of the Doom of the Rock sits there. It is a high holy Muslims site.

in order to allow for Jewish access. This currently may be in process. Concerning the site, Israel’s Supreme Court has stated in its ruling Opinion on the Issue of the Works on the Temple Mount, “The reality on the Temple Mount…is by no means simple. It is extremely delicate and complicated…This is one of those cases in which a judicial ruling is not the reasonable way to decide the dispute, and a decision of this kind goes beyond the boundaries of the law. It is the political echelon, and not the court…that must give content and meaning to the historical call: ‘The Temple Mount is ours’.” In other words, this must be a political, not legal, action. Those who understand Daniel’s prophecy of the seventieth week (Daniel 9:27) know that it is a future political leader, the Antichrist of Revelation 13, who will one day make a deceptive covenant with the Jewish leaders, leading to the rebuilding of the Third Temple.
Source: https://www.jewishvoice.org/read/article/update-building-third-temple

Do not be surprised if that one day you turn on the news and see that there has been a "Massive" explosion at the Temple Site.

It may be a Jewish zealot who runs in with a bomb. It may be an "accidental" drop of a 500 pound bomb from a Israeli airplane. It may in fact be an earthquake that destroys the Muslim site.

Hi Bob,
IMHO, WWII at least on the Western Front, would not have happened if the German Church had not been duped by a madman. They were duped because they had let go of their rich biblical heritage due to the theological liberalism of the 19th Century such as Albrecht Ritschl, Schleiermacher, Wilhelm Herrmann and Adolf von Harnack.
Many writers in the early 20th century were influenced by these 'big boys'.
Times may change but God's Word/truths change not.

Amen. And on top of that they ---Church did not listen to Dietrich Bonhoeffer and instead went head over heals for Hitler!

When it became clear that Hitler intended to use the German church in his own purposes, Bonhoeffer went to London and became the English pastorate member. He refused to recognize the public church, which became the instrument of Hitler’s policies and supported the establishment of the Confessional Church. And then, supported by many Anglican Communions, he returned to Germany to take part in the activities of the Confessional Church.

He wrote a book where he justified the moral struggle with the Nazi regime and then he participated in a conspiracy to Hitler’s overthrowing.
Bonhoeffer became a Canaris counterintelligence service agent as well as a courier for communication with foreign organizations in Sweden and Switzerland.

When the plot was failed, Bonhoeffer was imprisoned in the Gestapo basement on Prinz Albrechtstrasse. Then he was sent to Buchenwald, and then transferred to the Flossenburg Camp.
Source: https://thesonofgod.org/2017/08/13/...nst-hitler-and-became-a-martyr-for-his-faith/

I think he wrote a couple of the 90 essays between 1910-1915…

THAT is a lot of work!

The process of breeding a "Red Heifer " to meet the requirements of Numbers 19 was started about 20 years ago. Nine Red Heifers were used in preparing the waters used to purify Jews. According to Jewish tradition, the tenth one will be used by the Messiah. The process is to breed a 100% pure RED Heifer.
I can just hear and see Tevye now singing TRADITION! lol

It may be a Jewish zealot who runs in with a bomb. It may be an "accidental" drop of a 500 pound bomb from a Israeli airplane. It may in fact be an earthquake that destroys the Muslim site.
I'm tempted to go with the earthquake scenario...

And it shall come to pass at the same time when Gog shall come against the land of Israel, saith the Lord GOD, that my fury shall come up in my face. For in my jealousy and in the fire of my wrath have I spoken, Surely in that day there shall be a great shaking in the land of Israel; So that the fishes of the sea, and the fowls of the heaven, and the beasts of the field, and all creeping things that creep upon the earth, and all the men that are upon the face of the earth, shall shake at my presence, and the mountains shall be thrown down, and the steep places shall fall, and every wall shall fall to the ground.
(Eze 38:18-20)

That's a long list of books.
I can give you a very short list of authors that are currently being sold in the faith section in the bookshop I work in.

Joyce Meyer
TD Jakes
CS Lewis
AW Tozer
William P Young
Leonard Cohen
Gary Chapman

I think that's about it. National Geographic sometimes do special magazines about the Bible, but, they just do broad church history and pics of Jerusalem. There are some books about church history in NZ. But theology is for people that don't know about God, and question Him (without actually ever questioning Him as in 'are you there God? it's me' but writing any other thing about God they can come up with. Those authors are like

Karen Armstrong
Richard Dawkins
Stephen Fry
Christopher Hitchens

I am sure anyone can be a theologian without ever believing in God. You just need to live in an ivory tower and have plenty of time to write big fat books.

I can give you a very short list of authors that are currently being sold in the faith section in the bookshop I work in.

Joyce Meyer
TD Jakes
CS Lewis
AW Tozer
William P Young
Leonard Cohen
Gary Chapman
Out of the 7, I would read only two of the above, and definitely avoid three. I’m not familiar with Cohen, and isn’t Gary Chapman a musician?

Gary Chapman writes the 5 love language books.
Possibly there's a musician with the same name.

I'm probably the same as you, I think they are only there cos they sell. I suggested AW Tozer as the sane one.
Boss was going for mainstream, which is probably why CS Lewis is on the list, as he is so bland and middle of the road he could not offend anyone.
Joyce Meyer is helpful for women, I think you need someone tough who's been through STUFF. Not someone who's lived all their life in academia, or a rich pastor like TD Jakes.
William P Young is the author of the Shack. I don't know why it was such a best seller, but it was. I think it emotionally appealed to people, especially dealing with loss, but it's not something I would have picked.
Leonard Cohen appeals to the hippies on a spiritual bent. Not really christian, but shelved in the faith section all the same. The faith section also has other religions in it. He's Jewish.

I can't think what's current on the Christian bookstores today that's selling, as the books on their bestsellers have been there for years, aside from the Bible. They tend to make more on the christian fiction, with Francine Rivers and Amish series and such, over non-fiction. Or they have really topical prophecy books that ONLY apply to the USA, which is a hard sell to anyone living outside of it.

Current popular authors - not hard theology, but sort of for new believers

Max Lucado (ex-catholic?)
Timothy Keller (presbyterian...the yuppie types)
Caroline Leaf (science based)

I prefer evangelical type books like the ones written by Cross and Switchbade former gang member Nicki Cruz or ones that have testimonies.
Or missionaries like Gladys Aywald, Jackie Pullinger
Or stories of redemption.

You could read The Case for Christ and be swayed by all the arguments and logic in it, but it won't touch you in the way someones real life experience and testimony would.

I can just hear and see Tevye now singing TRADITION! lol

I'm tempted to go with the earthquake scenario...

And it shall come to pass at the same time when Gog shall come against the land of Israel, saith the Lord GOD, that my fury shall come up in my face. For in my jealousy and in the fire of my wrath have I spoken, Surely in that day there shall be a great shaking in the land of Israel; So that the fishes of the sea, and the fowls of the heaven, and the beasts of the field, and all creeping things that creep upon the earth, and all the men that are upon the face of the earth, shall shake at my presence, and the mountains shall be thrown down, and the steep places shall fall, and every wall shall fall to the ground.
(Eze 38:18-20)

You just may be a prophet and didnt know it.......................
1 year ago 4.0 magnitude, 10 km depth
‘Atlit, Haifa, Israel

2 years ago 4.7 magnitude, 10 km depth
Tiberias, Northern District, Israel

2 years ago 4.0 magnitude, 10 km depth
‘Eilabun, Northern District, Israel

5 years ago 4.2 magnitude, 13 km depth
‘En Boqeq, Southern District, Israel

5 years ago 5.5 magnitude, 22 km depth
Nuwaybi‘a, South Sinai, Egypt

7 years ago 4.1 magnitude, 20 km depth
Petra, Ma’an, Jordan

7 years ago 3.5 magnitude, 5 km depth
Tiberias, Northern District, Israel

9 years ago 4.1 magnitude, 31 km depth
Qesarya, Haifa, Israel

11 years ago 4.0 magnitude, 10 km depth
Tyre, Liban-Sud, Lebanon

13 years ago 4.0 magnitude, 1 km depth
Nabatîyé et Tahta, Nabatîyé, Lebanon

Joyce Meyer
TD Jakes
CS Lewis
AW Tozer
William P Young
Leonard Cohen
Gary Chapman

I think that's about it. National Geographic sometimes do special magazines about the Bible, but, they just do broad church history and pics of Jerusalem. There are some books about church history in NZ. But theology is for people that don't know about God, and question Him (without actually ever questioning Him as in 'are you there God? it's me' but writing any other thing about God they can come up with. Those authors are like

Karen Armstrong
Richard Dawkins
Stephen Fry
Christopher Hitchens

I am sure anyone can be a theologian without ever believing in God. You just need to live in an ivory tower and have plenty of time to write big fat books.

I am not a caretaker of people. I do believe however in total openness on those who teach others. According the the forum rules, anything said must be documented for authority so that it is not an opinion given which is what I do. It is my hope that those who read these works understand from what kind of theology they spring from.

Joyce Meyer..........
Her brand of charismatic/name-it claim it religion has deceived many. This is sad, but the Bible says that many will be deceived by false
teacher Joyce Meyer preached that Jesus was a sinner, had been born again, stopped being the Son of God, paid for our sins in hell
from 1991 Booklet called The Most Important Decision you Will Ever Make), and was tormented there. Meyer preaches a different Jesus. What Mrs. Meyers teaches is not found in the Word of God.
Source: https://www.discerningtheworld.com/2012/07/20/joyce-meyer-shocking-false-teachings-and-quotes/

TD Jakes.................
T.D. Jakes is associated with several troublesome teachings including the prosperity gospel and positive thinking.
Jakes has long been associated with Oneness Pentecostalism which holds to an unorthodox position on the Trinity. This position is known
as Modalism or, historically, as Sabellianism.
At his church, "The Potter's House", He has stated the belief statement at the Potter’s House which says, “There is one God, Creator of all
things, infinitely perfect, and eternally existing in three manifestations: Father, Son and Holy Spirit.” (Formerly the statement was even
clearer: “We believe in one God who is eternal in His existence, Triune in His manifestation, being both Father, Son and Holy Ghost AND
that He is Sovereign and Absolute in His authority.”) The important word here is manifestations. Where historic and Biblical
Christianity affirms persons, modalism demands use of manifestations or modes.

Modalism has long been labeled as a heresy meaning that if you believe it in place of the biblical understanding of the Trinity, you are not
and cannot be a true Christian (much of this section can be found in Wayne Grudem’s Systematic Theology).
Source: https://www.challies.com/articles/the-false-teachers-t-d-jakes/

CS Lewis...................
Prolific book writer. Many have read his works but it seems most have ignored what he wrote out of convivence. Mr. Lewis believed in
purgatory and baptismal regeneration.
Lewis believed that God created the universe; but then men evolved from animals..............
"For we have good reason to believe that animals existed long before man, for long centuries God "Perfected" the animal from which was
to become the vehicle of humanity and the image of Himself. (Eventually) God then caused a new kind of consciousness to descend upon
this organism". (The Problem of Pain, pg. 133, 77)....."Man the highest of the animals". (Mere Christianity pg. 139)
Source: http://www.jesus-is-savior.com/Wolves/cs_lewis.htm

A.W Tozer.................
Another prolific author. He was self taught and di not indulge. He left his royalties to many deserving institutions. From what I have read of
his works, he often does not bother to divulge precisely where his quotes are from, though whether by design or intentional neglect is
hard to ascertain. Teresa of Avila, Nicholas of Cusa, Meister Eckhardt, the anonymous penman of "The Cloud of Unknowing", and
several more, are called as testimonies for his pressing for the need for a closer walk with God. That to me opens the door to problems, but
who am I do say.

William P. Young.....
Paul Young’s The Shack has sold 20 million copies. If you then read his book ...., Lies We Believe About God, Young gives a more
propositional, concrete expression of his beliefs. If you read that book you will see that he teaches the un-biblical theology of
"Universalism".

Young lays his cards on the table his book by saying.....
“Are you suggesting that everyone is saved? That you believe in universal salvation? That is exactly what I am saying!” (118).
Later he is equally explicit: “Every human being you meet . . . is a child of God” (206). Thus, hell isn’t separation from God, but simply the
pain of resisting the salvation we have and can’t escape (137); and death doesn’t result in final judgment but simply introduces.........
“a restorative process intended to free us to run into the arms of Love” (187).

Leonard Cohen.........
Mr. Cohen is a Jewish song writer. He’s carried his Jewish faith with him throughout his life, regularly observing the Sabbath. He is also a Buddhist. Even after he started studying Zen Buddhism he said............
"I'm not looking for a new religion, I am quite happy with my old Judaism".

And Cohen’s study of Zen wasn’t just a weekend project. He lived at a Buddhist monastery for five years5 and became a fully ordained
monk in 1996.
Source: https://hollowverse.com/leonard-cohen/

Gary Chapman.........
He is a well known, Christian Pastor/author and is a Baptist theologian. He is well educated, basic and fundamental and I would
recommend any of his works. We actually attended the same seminary many years ago.
Source: ME.

Back