Tired of boomers

Status
Not open for further replies.
I had noticed that the younger generation becomes like beggars, it is actually quite common to see younger people go round, with cardboard signs on them, asking for ANYBODY to give them a job. They had already been refused when they had walked around and asked employers and filled out ten dozen applications. Their own parents are unable to employ them either, because they don't have the means to pay them.
And they might even have already done heaps of training, but still need to pay off the debt incurred for this training.

For the boomer generation, they never had to do this. It was no question that they were priveliged, but was it because they were actually favoured by God? I don't know I can't answer that question, as it seems to me that the boomers weren't all Christians and many actually wasted their privelige, but then doing so, counter by saying the younger generation have wasted their privelige (what privelige?) which was only that they expected to be still alive and able to live their live to a ripe old age.

for many young people they were facing suicide in their TEENS. Almost everyone I know faced some sort of disorder or experienced this kind of trauma as a teenager. Baby boomers did not. They would get married at 17 even and could start a life without ever having to face a threat to their existence or asking the question how should we live? Where will we live? Will we even have clean air to breathe?

I have books in the library that are now being written for children about suffering from anxiety. This was unheard of in previous generations. I think its good that we can trust God in the face of all the environmental degradation going on, but it's hard when it's right in your face, and also seeing people who didn't really trust God, flourish and become super greedy.
Wow Lanolin
I am a baby boomer in the UK. I have never heard anyone say the things that you have heard.
We are certainly not a privileged generation here. We have the lowest pensions in the whole of Europe.
During the war my families house was flattened by a bomb. They rented another house which was small.
Some of our family were killed others died a few years later from wounds in the war. I was born in a 2 bedroom house. There were 3 generations living together in a very small house.
After the war all food was rationed. Everyone was allowed a small measure of food. Other things were rationed too. This went on for several years. My family were poor and my mother made all my clothes herself. I had to work in school holidays to help pay the bills.
I got married when I was 2o. My mother made my wedding dress. A year later we e.igrated to Australia. My husband would not look for work and I was expecting a baby. We couldn't pay the rent and had no food. We were opposite blood groups and all our babies died. So we adopted two children and fostered others.
We returned to the UK and my husband was almost alcoholic and started having affairs. I divorced him and brought our children up myself. We were taxed very heavy and my wages didn't cover the bills. I had to work long hours.
But you are right I was privileged because God saw me through it all. It made my faith stronger and it taught me empathy and compassion.
I ove people of all ages. I know the young are finding it hard because of covid. Everyone is too. None of us are living a normal life. What is important is how we deal with it and how van we help.
There has been a lot of domestic violence over here. The safe houses for abused women have been full. They arrive with one plastic carrier bag some don't even have that. A lot of them with children and others pregnant. They are the ones I decided to help and homeless people on the street.
All of us are privileged if we have food, clothes and a home, no matter what our age.Christuans have hope, faith and love. We are more than privileged.
Be happy Lanolin One day we will be with our Lord.

Babyboomers in nz were very priveliged materially. I am sorry that you had to go through all that. The UK bought lots of wool and that made Babyboomers here very rich, we didn't get bombed and lots of state housing was built. Soldiers who came back (except for Maori Battalion) got lots of benefits, they got land and work and a free home, or they got one that was affordable though everyone was making money back then when everyone had jobs.

In the 80s everything was deregulated and people left the country in droves to make money elsewhere. The ones that stayed had to work more for less. Lots of welfare was cut. Since the younger people didn't have land as the babyboomers started selling everything off, even state assets (and the younger generation couldn't afford it) when the younger generation had no work they had nothing to fall back on, and they STILL needed to pay rent which went sky-high because state houses then got sold off I remember once applying for a state home and you just could count on one hand the ones that were available.

Now we have many babyboomers who are multi millionaires or millionaires on paper, if they had two or more houses, but they would rather rent them out or sell them or flip them then hand them to the next generation. The ones that did well in the UK now come over to NZ to retire and buy up apartments here, when I worked in retirement villages most of the residents were from the UK and they could afford to do so because of the exchange rate, as well as people from other foreign countries, in fact, the NZ govt encouraged it, they didn't need workers so much as investors to buy up houses here. There is still a labour shortage though because the work here that is offered is such low wages that people here cannot live off it, but people in other countries who come here could if they'd saved up enough, they would make money here.

It's kind of weird but that's the way its been so its very hard to read about some of the attitudes boomers have slagging off the younger generation, way to kick them when they are down, when things had been actually always made easy for boomers. Even today, the govt priveliges boomers by having them get the vaccines first, as they want them all to live long lives, even though they may not be working or at risk as much as the younger generation who are by contrast starving and stressed and have to support them as caregivers etc. At least they have their pensions which may not be much but its actually a lot better than nothing which is what everyone else gets. Many continue working anyway, it's given regardless as soon as people turn 65.

I understand times were a lot tougher in the UK, but elsewhere, especially the US, that was not so. They didn't have the Blitz or rations, instead those boomers had nuclear weapons and seem to have a warped sense of power that those weapons gave them, and they created this housing crisis which led to GFC among other things, leaving nothing for the younger generation.

Husbands who are alcoholics and don't provide for their families whatever generation they belong to are not who I am talking about. Its more like the people who are privileged (and they don't even realise it) and stand by and then do nothing to raise up those who are less. Instead their attitude is 'get over it' or 'if you were as selfish and hardworking as we are, you'd be able to afford a home right now'. Despite the fact that nobody can actually employed and earning when nobody gives them any work to do..or if employed nobody will even pay you enough to live on.

We have a housing problem too. I am sorry you are finding things so tough
I realise about the problem of migrants and how they get priority over here with housing, benefits etc. I don't understand the generation gap. We all have to help each other in whatever way we can.

The whole world is in a mess. We have to cling on to The Lord.

The only thing we can do is keep our spirits up. One day we will live in a just world.
God Bless you Lanolin you are in my prayers.

Sorry but blood types- if you have a different blood type from your husband does that mean your babies won't live?
Really? Or was it just particular ones that aren't compatible..?

I don't know much about it sorry.
I also I don't really know how a father would not look for work in order to provide for his own children. That is incomprehensible to me, why a married dad would do that. If there wasn't any work to be had then that's excusable, or even if there was work but low pay at least that's something. But to just not look when there were actually plenty of jobs I don't understand. Then to spend the non existent pay on alcohol I don't get.. where he would get the money from??

Selling stuff or hustling? Pawning goods?

Today the younger generation don't marry because it would be hard to provide a stable home for children when you can barely afford one. But we can live with our parents and look after them instead.

Yes I pray for a better earth for our future. I recall so many frightening things happening when we were going to the millenium and thinking I'd be lucky if I saw the 21st century and now we are here and its even more of a mess.

Babyboomers in nz were very priveliged materially. I am sorry that you had to go through all that. The UK bought lots of wool and that made Babyboomers here very rich, we didn't get bombed and lots of state housing was built. Soldiers who came back (except for Maori Battalion) got lots of benefits, they got land and work and a free home, or they got one that was affordable though everyone was making money back then when everyone had jobs.

In the 80s everything was deregulated and people left the country in droves to make money elsewhere. The ones that stayed had to work more for less. Lots of welfare was cut. Since the younger people didn't have land as the babyboomers started selling everything off, even state assets (and the younger generation couldn't afford it) when the younger generation had no work they had nothing to fall back on, and they STILL needed to pay rent which went sky-high because state houses then got sold off I remember once applying for a state home and you just could count on one hand the ones that were available.

Now we have many babyboomers who are multi millionaires or millionaires on paper, if they had two or more houses, but they would rather rent them out or sell them or flip them then hand them to the next generation. The ones that did well in the UK now come over to NZ to retire and buy up apartments here, when I worked in retirement villages most of the residents were from the UK and they could afford to do so because of the exchange rate, as well as people from other foreign countries, in fact, the NZ govt encouraged it, they didn't need workers so much as investors to buy up houses here. There is still a labour shortage though because the work here that is offered is such low wages that people here cannot live off it, but people in other countries who come here could if they'd saved up enough, they would make money here.

It's kind of weird but that's the way its been so its very hard to read about some of the attitudes boomers have slagging off the younger generation, way to kick them when they are down, when things had been actually always made easy for boomers. Even today, the govt priveliges boomers by having them get the vaccines first, as they want them all to live long lives, even though they may not be working or at risk as much as the younger generation who are by contrast starving and stressed and have to support them as caregivers etc. At least they have their pensions which may not be much but its actually a lot better than nothing which is what everyone else gets. Many continue working anyway, it's given regardless as soon as people turn 65.

I understand times were a lot tougher in the UK, but elsewhere, especially the US, that was not so. They didn't have the Blitz or rations, instead those boomers had nuclear weapons and seem to have a warped sense of power that those weapons gave them, and they created this housing crisis which led to GFC among other things, leaving nothing for the younger generation.

Husbands who are alcoholics and don't provide for their families whatever generation they belong to are not who I am talking about. Its more like the people who are privileged (and they don't even realise it) and stand by and then do nothing to raise up those who are less. Instead their attitude is 'get over it' or 'if you were as selfish and hardworking as we are, you'd be able to afford a home right now'. Despite the fact that nobody can actually employed and earning when nobody gives them any work to do..or if employed nobody will even pay you enough to live on.
Hi Lanolin
My blood is rhesus negative my husband was rhesus positive. We were unaware of this for several years. If I need a blood transfusion I can only have rhesus negative blood. If it isn't the right blood mine will produce antibodies and it will fight the positive blood and kill it. The same thing happens during pregnancy, the baby takes the fathers blood and mine fights the baby's blood, they are born very ill or else die after birth or just before birth. They can help people with that now but not when it was happening to us. I had the highest count of antibodies on record in Autralia. That"s when we gave up.

The alcohol problem was not at that time. He didn't like being foreigner and said he was too scared to look for a job.
He did eventually get a job after quite some time later.
The alcohol was when we came back to Emgland. He was working then

Hi Lanolin
My blood is rhesus negative my husband was rhesus positive. We were unaware of this for several years. If I need a blood transfusion I can only have rhesus negative blood. If it isn't the right blood mine will produce antibodies and it will fight the positive blood and kill it. The same thing happens during pregnancy, the baby takes the fathers blood and mine fights the baby's blood, they are born very ill or else die after birth or just before birth. They can help people with that now but not when it was happening to us. I had the highest count of antibodies on record in Autralia. That"s when we gave up.

The alcohol problem was not at that time. He didn't like being foreigner and said he was too scared to look for a job.
He did eventually get a job after quite some time later.
The alcohol was when we came back to Emgland. He was working then
actually that happens a lot but there are drugs now that stop or prevent that and the baby can survive. I am one of the survivors I had jaundice because of this. My two younger brothers (twins) were born by caesarean.
My elder sister didn't seem to have any troubles being born. It's weird. I am AB positive and I think the rest of my siblings are just As or Bs.
I can't donate blood (except to other AB's) but I can receive blood. I've had so many blood tests from seeing the doctor anyway that they've probably already taken a litre or so.

huh I think in Australia they don't really like foreigners at all. You have to be a certain type to be socially accepted. If your husband had the wrong accent or wrong skin colour it would have been hard to find a job I suppose. Not excusing that but I would wonder why someone would be too scared to even look. Language barrier could be a factor as well.

Sorry but blood types- if you have a different blood type from your husband does that mean your babies won't live?
Really? Or was it just particular ones that aren't compatible..?

I don't know much about it sorry.
I also I don't really know how a father would not look for work in order to provide for his own children. That is incomprehensible to me, why a married dad would do that. If there wasn't any work to be had then that's excusable, or even if there was work but low pay at least that's something. But to just not look when there were actually plenty of jobs I don't understand. Then to spend the non existent pay on alcohol I don't get.. where he would get the money from??

Selling stuff or hustling? Pawning goods?

Today the younger generation don't marry because it would be hard to provide a stable home for children when you can barely afford one. But we can live with our parents and look after them instead.

Why..........LAZY!

Wow Lanolin
I am a baby boomer in the UK. I have never heard anyone say the things that you have heard.
We are certainly not a privileged generation here. We have the lowest pensions in the whole of Europe.
During the war my families house was flattened by a bomb. They rented another house which was small.
Some of our family were killed others died a few years later from wounds in the war. I was born in a 2 bedroom house. There were 3 generations living together in a very small house.
After the war all food was rationed. Everyone was allowed a small measure of food. Other things were rationed too. This went on for several years. My family were poor and my mother made all my clothes herself. I had to work in school holidays to help pay the bills.
I got married when I was 2o. My mother made my wedding dress. A year later we e.igrated to Australia. My husband would not look for work and I was expecting a baby. We couldn't pay the rent and had no food. We were opposite blood groups and all our babies died. So we adopted two children and fostered others.
We returned to the UK and my husband was almost alcoholic and started having affairs. I divorced him and brought our children up myself. We were taxed very heavy and my wages didn't cover the bills. I had to work long hours.
But you are right I was privileged because God saw me through it all. It made my faith stronger and it taught me empathy and compassion.
I ove people of all ages. I know the young are finding it hard because of covid. Everyone is too. None of us are living a normal life. What is important is how we deal with it and how van we help.
There has been a lot of domestic violence over here. The safe houses for abused women have been full. They arrive with one plastic carrier bag some don't even have that. A lot of them with children and others pregnant. They are the ones I decided to help and homeless people on the street.
All of us are privileged if we have food, clothes and a home, no matter what our age.Christuans have hope, faith and love. We are more than privileged.

You are a tough woman! Congratulations on a good fight.

I agree with you 100%.

Baby boomers, which I am one as well are no more privilidged than any other generation and probably not as much as much as others.

I am thinking that maybe the ones complaining are doing so out of some other motivation.

Wow Lanolin

You are a tough woman! Congratulations on a good fight.

I agree with you 100%.

Baby boomers, which I am one as well are no more privilidged than any other generation and probably not as much as much as others.

I am thinking that maybe the ones complaining are doing so out of some other motivation.

There is no one story about the Boomers. There were some very tough times for my parents who were the early Boomers as well as myself. I attend a Bible study where I'm the youngest out of a wonderful group of Boomers in their 70s, 80s and one brother who is 90 years old.

It's real humbling because I put on my listening ears when they share the Bible and their lot in life. They had their good years of plenty and lean years in need.

It's also real humbling because when they talk about today's generation or younger people being spoiled I noticed they can't help but give a quick look at me. They lovingly refer to me as a young punk or whipper snapper! lol!

I shared with them (and they listened) that today's Christian generation is very smart, educated, very savvy on the computer but are also aware of these end times and a cold world. In their hearts they want answers of hope and growing their faith. What other than the elders of the Boomer generation that can minister to these youngins? What an opportunity! But it takes listening to them.

I am blessed to be a part of this Bible study group and like I said, I keep my listening ears on more than talking, and what they have to share is a real eye opener.

It's funny you talk about computer savvy, well we kind of have to be but we are now sort of FORCED into it.
When I was growing up it was touted as the way of the future but computers were super expensive and not everyone had one.

While technology has made great strides over the past 30 or so years, many young people don't actually care that much about them, and find smartphones etc super distracting. But to do any kind of job now you need to know at least the basics.

My mum doesn't even know how to change the settings on the tv (and some people never figured out how to program a VCR - remember them?) but my dad took to computers even though computers made his job redundant.

I just see them as tools they are never something that I would totally become addicted to. Facebook was a good way to keep in touch and people used it to chat or play games but when the baby boomers got on it sort of ruined it for the younger generation. Now parents post pictures of their babies growing up and use it to spy on others, and then people put advertising on it, so then anyone going on it is bombarded with product. Then they start posting sad memes about getting old and I'm like ok. Sorry I do not identify. Worst is when they then start inane convos about divisive politics, especially in unrelated countries.

Linkedin was also one that was very sad, because it was about job hunting. You were meant to promote yourself on there and keep up with industry news, celebrate your work anniversary and network. Mindnumbing!

Neighbourly had good intentions but once a neighbour starts complaining, they all do. Nothing worse than whinging complaining neighbours and busybodies trying to know all your business!

For the most part, that is where the 'tut tut younger generation' baby boomers attitude comes from. The younger generation then are not going to stick around when the older generation obviously dismiss them like that.

It's funny you talk about computer savvy, well we kind of have to be but we are now sort of FORCED into it.
When I was growing up it was touted as the way of the future but computers were super expensive and not everyone had one.

While technology has made great strides over the past 30 or so years, many young people don't actually care that much about them, and find smartphones etc super distracting. But to do any kind of job now you need to know at least the basics.

My mum doesn't even know how to change the settings on the tv (and some people never figured out how to program a VCR - remember them?) but my dad took to computers even though computers made his job redundant.

I just see them as tools they are never something that I would totally become addicted to. Facebook was a good way to keep in touch and people used it to chat or play games but when the baby boomers got on it sort of ruined it for the younger generation. Now parents post pictures of their babies growing up and use it to spy on others, and then people put advertising on it, so then anyone going on it is bombarded with product. Then they start posting sad memes about getting old and I'm like ok. Sorry I do not identify. Worst is when they then start inane convos about divisive politics, especially in unrelated countries.

Linkedin was also one that was very sad, because it was about job hunting. You were meant to promote yourself on there and keep up with industry news, celebrate your work anniversary and network. Mindnumbing!

Neighbourly had good intentions but once a neighbour starts complaining, they all do. Nothing worse than whinging complaining neighbours and busybodies trying to know all your business!

For the most part, that is where the 'tut tut younger generation' baby boomers attitude comes from. The younger generation then are not going to stick around when the older generation obviously dismiss them like that.
That is sad for both sides. I never think of their age when I am talking to people; except if they are telling me about themselves which is age related. There is a lot more to a person than their age.

That is sad for both sides. I never think of their age when I am talking to people; except if they are telling me about themselves which is age related. There is a lot more to a person than their age.
I work with children
At each stage, you need to relate to them at their level. Otherwise, you have lost them. You'll be talking over them or down to them with stuff they have absolutely no idea about, or don't care about.

My dad was complaining about something on the radio, saying they were not playing 'our music'. What is 'our music' well I don't know why he said 'our' but he was meaning music prior to the 1960s! I wasn't even born.

He got really angry that stations were playing 'modern stuff'. I just don't say anything about it. I think stations can play what they like if you don't want to listen then don't. Nobody has a monopoly on music.

I work with children
At each stage, you need to relate to them at their level. Otherwise, you have lost them. You'll be talking over them or down to them with stuff they have absolutely no idea about, or don't care about.

My dad was complaining about something on the radio, saying they were not playing 'our music'. What is 'our music' well I don't know why he said 'our' but he was meaning music prior to the 1960s! I wasn't even born.

He got really angry that stations were playing 'modern stuff'. I just don't say anything about it. I think stations can play what they like if you don't want to listen then don't. Nobody has a monopoly on music.
I totally agree with what you say when talking with children
I have had many dealings with children of all ages. It is rewarding

Wow Lanolin

Thank you all boomers,of which I am one.
Our lives growing up were not easy in spite of what one thinks.
This attitude of disrespecting those who have stood in the gap and made a hedge around the younger is despicable.
Get an education,get a job,go to college and work hard ,nothing is free.
We DONT owe the next generation anything,except teach them manners and how to show respect.

God will bless and take care of those who will let him. We are instructed not to be weary in well doing,or envy,or let bitterness take root in our hearts.

Many times the prophets were feed by ravens, or poor widows and God gave increase.

Happy is the man who trust in the Lord!

God loves all people (including all generations), but the devil wants to sow discord between generations, classes, races, etc.

There are good and bad people in all these categories, and we should not generalize.

I don't think people are disrespecting those made a hedge around the younger. They are calling out those baby boomers who DIDNT, who actually failed to do so, and unfortunately, there are many of them.

:-(

I work in a school and I don't really see parents teaching children much manners or respect at home. I think they are too exhausted to do it.
The teachers have a big job of teaching manners and respect at school. But it's not technically part of the curriculum of the 3 Rs.

Before we got free school lunches everyday I'd go and get free pizza on Thursdays. I'm glad that school is otherwise free as in a lot of countries it is not. Not everyone is going to go to college. It is expensive. Sometimes you have to drop out to look after your family, that is just the way it is.

When people say nothing is free- maybe they already have money and are used to buying their education.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back